Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can the hospital force you to stay the 48 hours?

You can leave anytime that you want. There is no way that they can force you to stay there. Be prepared for them rushing you AMA forms after you tell them that you're leaving (basically forms saying that you are leaving at your own will and are refusing their medical advice/attention) but they cannot make you stay there against your will. If they haven't agreed to release you they will probably argue with you so be prepared for that but you can leave whenever you want.

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
anamlgrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NO!!! there is no way they can make you stay!! I left 12 hours after having DS.. they were not happy about it but I was up in the shower and dressed a couple hours after having DS. I did wait until the pedi came in that morning to do an eval on DS but right after I was OUT!!
slightly crunchy and getting crunchier daily, CDing, non-circing, Hypnobirthing with no meds, part-time student going back to be a midwife, part-time working as a Crisis Screener, full-time SAHM to DS 7/11/07 and step-daughter 2/22/99 and Civil Union'd to my partner Melissa! ISO/IHA: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...10#post6398810
anamlgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They can't make you stay. W/DS I had an awesome mid-wife who made sure I wa out in 24hrs. W/DD I had to make it known I WAS leaving no matter what within 24hrs. It was a little bit of a fight, but one that you have the upper hand in.
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our hospital made us sign forms that we were leaving AMA, but we left less than 12 hours after DD was born. Be prepared to fight the fight, though! For over four of those hours the nurses were 'looking' for the doctor to check us over before we left...read...stalling...then we just up and walked out and they insisted we sign forms before we left that we were leaving against their advice. I can understand if it was baby#1, but it was baby #3 for DH! Plus, we both were healthy. With DS I (happily) left the birth center within 5 hours.
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks ladies. I will definetly make it known to our ped. then that I intend to leave by 24 hours, so long as baby and I are doing good.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
FlyballJRT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They can not make you stay. But beware that if you sign out AMA you may be stuck with the bills--check with your insurance provider. Many hospitals will let MOM leave after 24, but will fight tooth and nail about baby. Just depends on the hospital!!
FlyballJRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #17
Jenfrogmomcpst
Registered Users
Formerly: Say It With Heat
seller

We checked out after 36 hrs.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #18
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A hospital can NEVER keep anyone against their will. Each state has different laws. If there were complications with the baby, they *might* get a court order to keep the baby but not you. Ohio's law (last I checked) was that the momma/baby only had to stay 5 hours after birth. At the birth center I delivered at, the maximum stay was 24 hours.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
momofdolls
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought the reason for the 48 hours was the pku test for the baby? My oldest dd is 15, and between her and my 6 mo, the hosp stay actually did go to being a standard 24 hours, but not enough people were bringing baby back for the 48 hour pku test, so they made it 48 again. I agree...I would rather be at home in my own bed, but I also didn't want to have to drag the baby out in winter after 24 hours for a simple, 5 min blood test.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #20
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
Hmmmm.. how would I go about finding out the requirements given the state? I live in MO but birth at a hospital in KS. Its a great hospital, I just dont want to be away from my other 4 that long.
If you have someone you trust watching your other children, I'd totally use those 48 hours to rest yourself and enjoy your new baby. You'll go back to being supermom soon enough, and all the better with some peace and pampering.