Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
sararenda
Banned
seller

Unhappy Anyone else make their own flat diapers?

My 2 year old daughter gets rashes when I use prefolds, fitteds, AIO's, AI2's and disposables. I have resorted to making my own flat flannel 27" x 27" diapers for her and our 4 month old. I made 2 with some extra white super flannel I had lying around and so far she is completly rash free as long as I just use them. As soon as I put a prefold on her she gets another rash. And believe me I rinse the heck out of my diapers!

I went down to our local Wal-Mart supercenter this past Saturday to pick up 21 more yards of white super flannel and they didn't have any!! So I ran over to JoAnn's and they didn't have any either. EEK! Talk about frustrating!

I have a Wal-Mart gift card and a little bit of cash so I called my mom who lives 3 hours away and asked her to buy it for me at her local Wal-Mart (they always have it in stock) and ship it to me.

I just figured out how to do a rolled hem with my serger and it looks beautiful!

Kinda sad 'cause of all those cute diapers out there and I can't use any of them I have to admit, those flat diapers are going to look cute drying on the line outside this summer!!

Advertisement

sararenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
hssusie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone else make their own flat diapers?

I never made mine cuz I like the Birdseye ones and it cost more to make them than to buy them made.

Buy some wool to make yourself feel better about missing out on all those cute dipes.

You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, training them up in God's fear, minding the house, and making your household a church for God as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts. ~Charles Spurgeon

Last edited by hssusie; 01-08-2007 at 02:18 PM.
hssusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
MilkOnDemand
Registered Users
seller

I've used square receiving blankets that were single layer flannel. I couldn't think of anything else to do with them LOL!
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just going to say try receiving blankets. I to used the birdseye ones, but obviously for a two year old that is not going to absorbant enough. Hmmmm....Hey, what about buying flannel sheet sets? In our house, we only use the fitted sheet, so the flat one gets tossed in my fabric bin and I make fitteds out of it. Sometimes you can grab flannel sheets this time of year on clearance, plus they are super cute prints. My mom just picked up a flannel set for my DS (Cars Movie ones) for $13 at Target.

I might have to try making a few flats myself. How many layers of flannel do you use?
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was going to make a few for my next baby (starting the stash early) I don't have a serger, is there a "best" way to make them on my sewing machine?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Shell1985
Registered Users
seller

Also try using the flour sack towels from walmart for flats they are 5 for 5$ you can tye dye as well
Shell1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used receiving blankets as flats. Any flannel will work even if it's a printed flannel.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure why your lo would be allergic to 100% cotton prefolds(not like OBV kwim). Have you elimated your detergent as the culprit?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love to tye dye mine
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can get Kushies 27x27 100% cotton flannel flats at walmart, they are all I use and they are AWSOME!