Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is there anyway to pump faster?

I feel like it takes me forever to pump. By the time I assemble everything, pump and clean up it's been 25 minutes. I really only have 15 minutes at work that I should be using to pump. Anyway to speed up the process?? Any tips on quick assembly or clean up? I pump in my office so it all has to go back in the PIS bag and under my desk when I'm done.

Advertisement

Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there anyway to pump faster?

Hadley, I bought two sets of pump attachments for my PIS so I could put them back in the bag dirty because of my time constraints. I also pump directly into my storage containers so I don't have extra to wash when I get home. Obviously that doesn't work if you store in bags though. I'm not sure you can really get it down any more than that.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was pumping 4x a day I used a "dirty" pump the 2nd time each time. They say b00b juice is "good" for 6 hours on the counter and I agree washing all the time sucks. Sometimes I would just rinse too.

Some people have luck with putting the whole shebang in the fridge, but I have rehnaulds, (where my nips scream bloody murder when they are cold or agitated or I sneeze) So I quickly learned that didn't work for me!

If you can afford another set of thingies, then obviously that would be quicker. The ones for my purely yours are $50 a set!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
zenetanar
Registered Users

I pump at my desk, and I have the backpack. What I do is use the bottles for storage and already have them screwed in, and all I have to do is stick the tubing in the pump. I also have the AC adapter plugged into the pump already, and I never remove it from the backpack. I keep baby wipes in my desk, and quickly wipe the pump parts with a wipe at the end of the first session. I have to be quick as I'm a teacher and I have to get it all done before my class returns -- this is what's worked best for me.
zenetanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great ideas mamas. I had thought of some of that stuff, but I wasn't sure if I could use it again after only wiping, etc.

Thanks!!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
filiadeluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It takes about the same amount of time for me. One thing I'm thinking might help, though, is ordering the smaller breast shields (they have them on Amazon). The Medela PIS, which I have, comes with "standard" 24mm breast shields, which are WAY too big for my nipples (even though I have size D breasts and rather large areolas).

I could almost fit two nipples into one of them. I often have to "adjust" my nipples and make them squished up against one side or another to make sure it's still pumping. So, make sure your breast shields are the right size for your nipples (not too big or too small), and that might save time.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got the idea from someone on here to throw the pump parts in the fridge to "preserve them" since that's what you do with the milk anyway. Also I do breast compression to get the milk out quicker/increase my pumping supply.

Sorry you have to pump quickly! btdt!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
fyrcracker99
Registered Users

Do you have one of the wraps that allows you to pump both sides hands free? I know medela makes one. Then if you use the "breast compression" idea it could help even more. Gravity helps too, so leaning forward some may have an effect. Whenever I would pump one side at a time this way it would go just as fast as pumping both at the same time without it!
You may want to read up on how to do manual expression of milk and use ideas from those techniques to do this. Then you'll know what's most effective and also not damage the sensitive breast tissue and milk ducts. I found this information in "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" a book put out by La Leche League, but you could probably find it on their website too. Good Luck!
fyrcracker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Medela makes wipes that are totally safe for all the parts and don't need water. They just need to dry completely after the wiping off/out. I even used them on the bottles that I pumped in when I worked. I did have the same problem you did too - not enough time.