Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does delivery "Naturally" mean to you?

It all depends. I won't tell one mom her birth wasn't natural enough because of whatever. I had a 1/4 shot of Nubain as my contractions kicked in and I could barely think straight. It didn't do anything and I felt & experienced it all, just as much as with my waterbirth. So by some standards, no it wasn't a natural childbirth, but to me, I still say it was.

Advertisement

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does delivery "Naturally" mean to you?

Vaginally, no drugs
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
I Love Him
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does delivering "Naturally" mean to you?

Thank you everyone...so glad to hear these responses. I added to my original thread.
I Love Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

To me, naturally is vaginally without any drugs. Of course, ideally, naturally would be without ANY interventions.

Vaginal with an epidural = medicated birth.

Vaginal without epidural but induced = non-medicated birth? I don't know.

But I definitely don't believe that "naturally" just means vaginal, even if someone had an epidural or other pain meds.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Natural is a hard one... For me it is no ANYTHING... however, natural is natural to each birth.

An example of an "unnatural" natural birth would be a mom who has to have a c-sec for some real medical reason... that "unnatural" to me birth is very "natural" for her.

So I hate the term natural in really describing childbirth. Non-medicated, non-intrusive, non-intervened, terms like that seem more descriptive of an actual birth.
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller

see i think of pitocin as a drug and therefore not a completely natural birth. your contractions were brought on (at least in part) by a medicine. i don't consider IV fluids an intervention though. all it is is sugar water so your sugar doesn't drop since at the hospital they don't let you eat or drink. i had that and nothing else at all. even that was useless though since i gave birth 3 hours after it went in. i think my birth was totally natural. i had no help from any meds at all.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

So now for another question...

if you deliver vaginally with no epidural...what should that be considered? natural

how about vaginally without an epidural...but with iv's and pit?
still natural 'delivery' imo.. but maybe not completely natural birth. kwim?

or vaginally without an epidural...with medical interventions (such as...but not limited to, internal monitoring, vacuum, forceps, etc)? still natural I think.

Is "natural" all or nothing? no.. think it's a state of mind and can differ from person to person. Delivering 'natural' is just something that I think some women like to use to feel impowered.. others use because it's what they feel is best for the baby. Realistically.. most moms who want a 'natural' birth have the best intentions but forceps, vacuum, pitocin, etc. are sometimes things that need to be used through no fault of their own. Think to them it's still a natural birth if no epidural was given. kwim? They really wanted to have that natural birth and made it through pain drug free but because baby was having problems or whatever.. knowing they had a natural birth can get taken away from them cause interventions were used. Kinda don't think that's right.

Now I had natural (no epi) births with my kids but DS 1 had a huge head and was stuck after 2 hours of pushing. With decellerated heartbeats they used a suction.. still natural though IMO.

Last edited by Bee Green Naturals; 08-28-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Bee Green Naturals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think of it as a vaginal delivery, no pain medications period and no labor inducing drugs like Cervadil or Pitocin period. IV fluids only and the use of forceps or monitoring would not make it less "natural" IMO - though I have no idea what the "diehard natural birthers" would say to that. I have also heard "natural" being used as a synonym for "vaginal" - and it is not the same thing. All three of my births have been vaginal, but two were inductions and I got the epidural with all three.

I can't complain about my experiences though, I personally don't quite "get" why someone would want to go naturally unless they are one of those people who have naturally short labors. (My labor with DD, where I did try to go without pain meds, was 12 hours and I was stalled at 9 cm for two, with contractions one on top of the other with no break before I got the epidural, so in my mind natural = personal torture, just because of my experience). I also would never tell a mom that used drugs or had to have a c/s that she didn't have a "real" birth or anything like that either.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Sk8ermaiden
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Him View Post
So before I explain what delivering "naturally" means to me I was hoping to get some responses.

I know this question is vague...but once I have some answers...I will explain in more depth.

Thanks in advance.

- ok so now that i have some feedback...THANK YOU. THANK YOU for making me feel like i am not crazy . these are all the answers i was hoping to hear. however lately...i have been told that "such and such had a natural birth." however...when they say "natural" they only mean vaginally.

how sad is that?...that our society thinks natural means vaginal. they totally disregard the interventions and medications. why is that?

So now for another question...

if you deliver vaginally with no epidural...what should that be considered?

how about vaginally without an epidural...but with iv's and pit?

or vaginally without an epidural...with medical interventions (such as...but not limited to, internal monitoring, vacuum, forceps, etc)?

Is "natural" all or nothing?

Thanks
I personally call the bolded superwoman. I know I could not.
Sk8ermaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Natural is no interventions, drugs, iv's, induction, pit, episiotomy, etc. I also view natural as mama deciding labor and birth position w/ in legs in air in sturrups.