Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does delivering "Naturally" mean to you?

Naturally means to give birth without medical intervention (no drugs of any kind, no epidurals, etc).
Giving birth without pain medications or an epidural is drug-free birth.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #22
wyldblueangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsenadenos View Post
I also would never tell a mom that used drugs or had to have a c/s that she didn't have a "real" birth or anything like that either.
That's so funny because I always have a hard time saying I gave birth to ds2. I usually just say the day he was taken out of me!

Check out my Ebay Feedback
wyldblueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does delivery "Naturally" mean to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
Vaginally, no drugs
this

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #24
craezie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I personally call the bolded superwoman. I know I could not.

I know what I am hoping for when I say that I want to give birth "naturally" is no labor inducing drugs and no epidural. Ideally, no pain medication at all, although I did have a small dose of Demerol last time and it didn't substantially affect what was going on -- kind of felt like having 2 cocktails. So I would resort to that if I thought it would help me avoid the other.

Having labored for 7 hours on the Pit before getting my epidural, though, I know that there is NO chance of making it all the way through in a long induction situation. That WOULD really be superwoman.

I draw the line with what substantially changes how the body functions during labor. So labor inducing drugs and pain medications are not natural. IVs, monitors don't really change what your body is doing, although they definitely are a pain in the neck.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:55 AM   #25
I Love Him
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
Natural is a hard one... For me it is no ANYTHING... however, natural is natural to each birth.

An example of an "unnatural" natural birth would be a mom who has to have a c-sec for some real medical reason... that "unnatural" to me birth is very "natural" for her.

So I hate the term natural in really describing childbirth. Non-medicated, non-intrusive, non-intervened, terms like that seem more descriptive of an actual birth.
Hmmmm, I like that. Good thought. I think I may put this into use. Thanks for the feedback and the idea.
I Love Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #26
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

To me natural means no meds of any kind, but IV fluids aren't meds. I consider my second son a natural birth (no epidural and no meds) with an unneeded intervention (IV fluids).
Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #27
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NATURAL= vaginally, no drugs or ANY medical intervensions, very hard to do in a hosptial since they are so IV happy. I count IV fluids as techincal intervension( makes you have to pee more, full bladder can get in the way, some hospitals don't let you get up so you have to get a cath......

Vaginally=Medicated vaginal birth to me. ( induced, pain relieve of ANY kind, medical intervensions)

That is MY personal take on it.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #28
grcelizabeth
Registered Users

I think this could be an easily debatable topic. I see where people can view different things as natural and I believe a natural labor/delivery is where you can feel everything (i.e. no epi) but is different to everyone woman.

Labor and delivery is so personal that you don't want to take away what that woman went through. If a woman had VBAC but still had the pit. and it's natural to her and it doesn't matter who says what. I received the on-call doc. for my 1st & had a routine episiotomy when I didn't want one in the first place but no drugs in back labor, my 2nd I had the pit. for 30 min. because I wasn't dilating since my water had broke 21hrs. before and I fought like heck to get to that point, and my 3rd again was natural. I consider all of these natural and I wouldn't dare tell someone they didn't have a natural labor like mine.

There are variations and whatever a woman feels to her is natural, then it's natural and shouldn't be debatable.
Grace: Crunchy mama to Jordan, Ellie, Savanna and #4
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
grcelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #29
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

to be honest naturally to me means vaginal, just because that is the narural way the baby is supose to come out...lol but normaly if you ask some one if they delievered naturally they usally through in if they had the epi. or what ever else and then the birth stories start..giggle
Wife to Joey, 1-12-07 Mother to six , Britney 10/13/00, Jared 05/27/03, Hunter 05/10/04, Kimbery 10/26/06,Kole 09/05/08, Alaina 03/20/12 I CD of corse..:P, co-sleep, BFing,non-circumcising, baby wearing, pretty crunchy..:P Fan Page Come "like" Me.. My IHA/ISO I LOVE to trade.. Blog post of some stuff I can make you!..:P
Sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #30
spamanda
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is really interesting to me!
My first I went into labor on my own but was GBS+ and did agree to the antibiotics. My doctor broke my water around 7-8cm. I had no pain medication, delivered in a half-squat, and consider myself to have had a natural birth.
My second I went two weeks over, with about three weeks of really difficult prodromal labor. I agreed to have my water broken, and then to pitocin (I was about 2cm when they broke it, went to 4+ and THEN they started the pit) I was GBS+ again so had the antibiotics. No pain medication, still moved around as I wished, was encouraged to walk up and down the halls, had intermittent fetal monitoring. Honestly even with the pitocin it was almost exactly like my first birth -- only easier! So I am one of those "superwomen" who was able to have pit and still deliver with no pain medications.
So.... I consider myself to have had one natural labor, and one pain medication free labor. But like I said, honestly, they were SO similar in what I experienced that it's tough to differentiate.
spamanda is offline   Reply With Quote