Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #61
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does delivering "Naturally" mean to you?

I agree with the PP's who say that they consider "natural" to mean nothing happened that wouldn't have happened in nature. I've had 2 unassisted births so for me, having a midwife in attendance or having a vaginal, unmedicated birth in a hospital or birth center would not be "natural". But those instances would be closer to natural than a drugged or cesarean delivery.

That being said, what is "natural" isn't always preferable in all instances. Some mamas would never have gotten pg "naturally" and even though I think MOST women could give birth naturally, removed from the fear-mongering of society, there are some who truly could not and I think it's wonderful that there are interventions that allow them to have children.

I just wish those interventions were used judiciously, instead of indiscriminately.

Advertisement

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #62
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

I have heard alot of people say naturally was vaginally I am not sure how I feel when I had DS I had been in labor for 2 days (contrax every 7 mins) when I was admitted to the hospital I was given an enema and by then I was just so tired I didn't even think about it ... I also had a IV and later in the day I had pitocin .. I had to have antibotics because I had GBS .. I had internal monitoring since JohnPaul was showing signs of stress well after 16 hours of labor and 8 hours of pushing in the hospital and over 36 hours of labor at home with no pain meds at all I had a epidural followed immediately by a emergency c-section .. I like to think I labored naturally since I didn't get pain meds but I guess by some standards I didn't ... I never realized how many interventions I actually had ...

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #63
PinkInk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyvegan View Post
That being said, what is "natural" isn't always preferable in all instances. Some mamas would never have gotten pg "naturally" and even though I think MOST women could give birth naturally, removed from the fear-mongering of society, there are some who truly could not and I think it's wonderful that there are interventions that allow them to have children.

I just wish those interventions were used judiciously, instead of indiscriminately.
Love this post Well done. I know for us, we may not be having a baby at all if it wasn't for science and medicine... we needed help! And for the small % of moms and babies that would die without the interventions we have today, I thank science. But, every birth does not need to be "treated" because there are risks that exist, that's like giving chemo to everyone because they could get cancer.

I get really sad when people think natural is just vaginally. I think personally, if a mom truly does HAVE to be induded (there are cases where it's needed, though I still think they basically pass out pitocin at the front door) but they make it through the rest of the birth with without intervention or medication, then they should just say they had an almost natural birth I don't consider not going into labor spontaneously a completely natural birth, but if I HAD to have pit or an IV (and I'm pretty educated in the few instances that would dictate such a need) I would be pretty annoyed by someone saying that my birth was "medicated" even though I was able to fight off all other intervetions and pain meds.

This is a great topic though... there are so many gray areas here, and I know moms who did all they could for an all natural but missed it by 1 thing out of neccessity, and have felt ridiculed for it. A lot of feelings can be hurt on BOTH sides with dealing with these lables. Messy stuff!
PinkInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #64
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Natural birth FOR ME (and I know I don't prescribe to the stickler definition of this!) is when you have the experience of a natural birth. So let's say a woman has a cervadil patch to ripen her cervix, and perhaps some pit to augment if she stalls, etc. No pain meds, remains mobile, feels "fully present." Who is to say that her labor and birth are any different than they might have been without those interventions? Because her experience was that of a natural birth pushing the baby out, feeling her contractions, etc., that's good enough for me for a "natural birth."

When you leave the realm of what departs from the experience of giving birth numbing drugs, vacuum extraction, etc. that's where I feel like a line is drawn for me. Just my
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #65
bigmamahayes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would consider a "natural" birth to be one with no medical interventions at all. Imagine how people gave birth 2000 years ago. That is what I would consider to be a "natural birth". Thankfully, now there have been scientific accomplishments that have GREATLY lowered the mortality rate that accompanies mamas and babies during labor...or even just make them more comfortable during delivery. I will never desire a natural child birth. Other people disagree with my preferences, and that is fine with me. Each mom will do what she thinks is best for her babies.

Who cares if someone thinks 'vaginal' is synonymous with 'natural'. Why should that make anyone sad? If their baby is born healthy and the mama is happy with the experience...why should you be sad. People should save their extreme emotions for their own hormone engorged experiences and stop shedding tears over another person's failed vocabulary test.

Plus, most of the people who don't know the difference between vaginal and natural aren't the type to go around bragging about their natural birth anyway. Now, if I survived and ACTUAL natural birth...there is no doubt in this world that I would brag about it! Those of you who have done it, brag away...I'd like to give you a high five for voluntarily being tougher than I could ever be. But, do not look down on those who have different preferences for birth or different definitions of words that should only matter to the person using them. Thanks.
bigmamahayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #66
bigmamahayes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I'd also like to add that on my pregnancy screening questionnaire after my confirmed blood results, it asked the following:

How many previous pregnancies? ___1____
How many children at home> ____1_____
How delivered (circle one)? NATURAL or C-SECTION

That can be confusing. I have neither delivered naturally, nor via c-section. This could be the reason some people confuse vaginally with naturally. The forms should be reworded. I circled natural, but in no way believed that I gave birth naturally.
Amy Kay, Air Force vet, Navy wife to Bradrick, mommy to Jocelyn (3/08), Samuel (10/09) and Carolyn (10/11), expecting #4 in October, Jesus loving, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, extended rear facing, epidural loving, bargain hunting, marathon running, full time online student and dancing drama queen. http://www.happyteamhayes.blogspot.com
bigmamahayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #67
Ashley Denine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To me it means with NO assistance from medicine, IV's pain killers, etc...
I had my first two with Epidurals and then my 3rd I had nothing I delivered him alone, no assistance from any meds, or people for that matter. LOL. They didnt even hook me up to fluids. He was just ready so I didnt even get checked into the hospital. Its an amazing feeling to do it with out any assistance and I wish I would have done it with my older two kiddos... I was just young and thought my Dr.'s knew what they were talking about and sadly they talked me out of Natural births =( If only I could do it over again =/

Trash to Treasure blog. FOLLOW ME!
http://1dress1week.blogspot.com/
Ashley Denine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #68
PinkInk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamahayes View Post
Oh, I'd also like to add that on my pregnancy screening questionnaire after my confirmed blood results, it asked the following:

How many previous pregnancies? ___1____
How many children at home> ____1_____
How delivered (circle one)? NATURAL or C-SECTION

That can be confusing. I have neither delivered naturally, nor via c-section. This could be the reason some people confuse vaginally with naturally. The forms should be reworded. I circled natural, but in no way believed that I gave birth naturally.
That IS a good point...

Birth Boot Camp Certified Childbirth Educator training couples in natural childbirth.

I blog at In Pink Ink
PinkInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #69
BabyOsMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I consider without pain meds to be natural. But like others have said, it is subjective, some would consider my births far from natural. My first was an induction, complete with cervidil, pit, continous monitoring, it ended with fetal distress and a vaccum delivery, but I still did it without pain meds. I pushed when I felt the need, and was allowed to move around and push in a position I wanted (until the fetal distress, I was rolled on my side for a bit) Not the whole experience I was looking for, but it was as close to natural as I could get. My second was completely natural and had no interventions (in my eyes). No IV, no meds at all, I was monitored periodically, but otherwise was up and moving throughout. I could have eaten, but by the time I wanted to I was almost complete and was afraid I would get nauseated like last time. I didn't push til I felt the urge, and was allowed to try out a few different positions til I was comfortable and moving the baby. I did have to have an injection of pit and methergen, only because I was bleeding.

I am not knocking anyone who chooses to have an epidural,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinMartin View Post
I think that every woman makes decisions in birth that they think are BEST for their body and their baby. If we don't believe what we're doing is better than the other decisions, than why are we doing it?
I agree with the above post. But to me being stuck in a bed and not even being able to get up to pee is pretty unnatural.
BabyOsMomma is offline   Reply With Quote