Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
supermomelisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why! Why! Why!

I am sitting here with my 5 yo DD at the kitchen table waiting for her to finish her dinner
She is a waif of a thing and I cannnot get her to eat! Unless it is of course oreo's or dorito's
HELP!!!!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Why! Why! Why!

I have a similar problem with my oldest DD. I give her a pediasure when she starts looking too frail and that seems to pick up her appetite.

PSA: Eating Bison is better for health and the environment. Google it!
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
supermomelisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielblewis View Post
I have a similar problem with my oldest DD. I give her a pediasure when she starts looking too frail and that seems to pick up her appetite.
I have been thinking about that lately, but I wasn't sure if Olivia would drink it, obviously she is horribly picky.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:

They have several flavors - chocolate, strawbery, orange-cream, and vanilla. You could always add a scoop of ice-cream and make a chocolate milkshake with it, ice-cream seems to make everything go down better

PSA: Eating Bison is better for health and the environment. Google it!
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
tresal
Registered Users

Our son goes back and forth with this. Sometimes he eats really good and other times for weeks, he'll barely eat anything! I have to really watch on the junk food and goodies or that is seriously all he will eat.
Sometimes I've made him a plate and we all sit down and start eating like there's not going to be any issues with him eating. My husband and I comment on how good the food is and how yummy it is. It'll work most of the time, he'll start eating little nibbles and then says how yummy the food is. lol
Good luck! It sure can be frustrating!

teresa
Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

I was like that when i was little.. my mom used to tell me about how if I didnt eat I would have to go to the hospital and they would have to feed me though a tube... let me just say FREAKED ME OUT lol... my mom did it in a way not to be mean.. just was telling me. but that option just depends on what you think you dd can handle..

other than that I dont really know what else to tell ya.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:

I was like that when I was little too!

I LOVED (and still do) chips. I would sit and eat a whole bag. My mom said supposedly, that the doctor told her as long as I ate 1 tablespoon of real food a day, I would be fine. Take that with a grain of salt though. That was umm..24 years ago too. My mom is also the one that will say, after the kids eat Reece Cups for breakfast, at least they have peanut butter in them. (In other words, if it has *something* healthy in it, it's okay for breakfast.)

Anyhow... Maybe it's a phase, maybe not. I'm now 24 and eat a little bit more than I used to. Just don't pressure her to try new things. Let her decide what to try. I NEVER try something new if somebody starts hounding me about it. If DH gets something that looks good, I ask and try a bite. He is also very honest about whether he thinks I will like it or not. He doesn't just say Oh, you'll like it if you ever try it.

GL and maybe she'll get better. I lived on mac-n-cheese and chicken fingers forever!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well...I guess I have a different opinion. My kids aren't allowed to be picky. Sorry, but I don't have the time or inclination to make foods that only *they* like especially when I'm making dinner for the whole family. Either they eat what I make, or they go without; its their choice. However, if they go without, no snacks are allowed. nothing, until the next meal.

Kids aren't going to starve themselves...they learn that if they don't eat their dinner or if they only eat a little, *maybe* mom or dad will give in and give them what they *really* want, like a little chips, cookies, ice-cream, cake, or snack.s (hey, it's what my dd learned until I figured out what she was doing and put a stop to it. she would tell me she wasn't hungry...but she was really just waiting for dessert! lol)

I recommend just letting her eat what she wants, and then no snacks. If she tells you she's hungry again, bring out the same plate of food that she didn't want to eat earlier.
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

ok... here's my FWIW...

First off, i'd say get rid of the oreeos and the doritos. they're not doing anyone any good, they're full of artificial colors, flavors and scary preservatives, and if those aren't even an option she might start to get a little more serious about food.

the other thing is that for a lot of kids presentation of food is more important than what it actually is. like "ants on a log" - a piece of celery with peanut butter and raisins on top. or anything "their size" little mini pizzas from an english muffin with sauce and cheese on top. smoothies that she gets to drink through a fun twisty straw or a special cup - you can stick almost anything in a smoothie and as long as it's got some vanilla yogurt and some fruit and isn't like brown or something, most kids will gulp it down. you can even call it a milk-shake and treat it like it's a special treat. i cut bananas up and slice them long ways down the middle, and then make "sandwiches" out of them by putting some kind of nut butter in between. my daughter thinks this is the coolest thing in the world. you can make pizza at home pretty easily. if you don't want to make the dough, you can buy it frozen or buy bobolis, you put the sauce and cheese on, and let her "dress it up" with healthy options like tomatoes and olives and peppers and stuff.

and my kids will eat *anything* if i let them dip it in ranch dressing or ketchup dips are a great way to get kids to eat veggies. melt some cheese and milk and give them some cut up carrots or celery or whatever to dip into it. or give them graham crackers and let them dip it in flavored yogurt. slices of apples or bananas or crackers that they can dip into nut butter (DD's fave is cashew, followed by almond - she doesn't groove on peanut butter much at all) it is a big hit here.

also, have you tried to involve her in food preparation? kids are often much more excited to eat when it's something they've helped to make. my DD is always soooo proud when she helps make something - has to announce to anyone who will listen we make a lot of banana bread and she loves to help me measure and pour the stuff in, to mix it up, and then to taste it as soon as it's cool. she never ate it before i let her start helping with it, but now she begs to make some.

ooooh - just thought of two more. 1) frozen fruit! my kids love to eat frozen fruit straight out of the bag! and 2) when you make smoothies, make an extra big batch, and then make popsicles out of them. my kids think it is so awesome that they can eat popsicles whenever they want!

Last edited by pixiepunk; 01-09-2007 at 07:12 PM.
pixiepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree completely with momx2.

I don't make special meals for ds. I include a fruit and a vegetable with every meal -whether ds eats them or not they are on his plate. Then of course there is the main course. If we are having chicken or fish which he has not yet developed a taste for (he is only 19 months) then I will still put it on his plate but also provide an alternate protein source (chunks of cheese or the like.) That's it. He eats what he wants- we encourage him, put butter on it, oh and ah over it or whatever, but don't force or punish. He doesn't get cookies or chips in between meals- especially if he didn't eat his meal. He gets vegetables or fruit or milk or occasionally wheat crackers with pb.

In another thread I remember a mom writing that her ds started eating a lot better when she stopped giving him treats between meals and only allowed raisins or carrots. (a little extreme maybe but you could use what would work for you- apples or saltines?) Anyway- Things like Oreos were only for a treat after a healthy meal.

PS- It doesn't mean you can't keep a stash of Doritos and Oreos in a high cupboard to be enjoyed when the kids are fast asleep! LOL