Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Water birth question

Ok, so it's spin-off of the other thread..but I didn't want to hijack it from her

This is my third baby. With DS1, I had an OB at a hospital. Ended up getting induced because of high blood pressure about 3 weeks early. The induction caused other complications.

DS2, I had a midwife at the hospital, and they felt my labor wasn't "progressing" as fast as they liked, they pretty much forced pitocin on me, which I did not want, but they didn't listen.

So THIS time, I'm going with a midwife at a birth center, and she is VERY naturally minded.. instead of inductions, she gives her over-du patients herbal blends.

So, she has the big tub for water births. I just want to know if anyone can compare the difference between a water birth and a non-water birth. Is it really that much more comfortable?

My two main reasons for picking a birthing center are 1.I'm more likely to be left alone to be natural, which is what I want. And 2. The water birth.

So I would just like to hear opinions from moms who have done water birth, and any comparisons between water/non-water births.

Thanks
God bless,
Michelle

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
michellecox75
Registered Users
seller

Re: Water birth question

I had a water birth last month. IT happened so fast that the pool did not have time to fill up enough. It did decrease the pain when I got in and I feel it helped with the pain of ds actually coming out. I did not notice the ring of fire like the other 2.
michellecox75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
KimProbable
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've had two non-water births in hospital and one home water birth, and I will absolutely have a pool again if we have another baby. During labour with DD2, getting into the pool when I just couldn't get comfortable between contractions was wonderful. It sort of reset my brain a little and I was able to mellow out and ride out late labour and trasition.

Also, the recovery after my water birth was by far the easiest recovery I've had, and it was a breech birth to boot! My first two births I had lots of swelling and tore enough that I needed stitches, and then with the water birth I had some mild swelling and no tearing.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! Keep 'em comming!

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

bump, hoping for more responses! Thanks mamas!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wont ever have a baby outside of the water again!
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
bndsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not had a water birth, but used the birth tub for labor with 2 of my births. I had the Aquadoula for my DD, and WOW, it really helped! I ordered the tub again for DS1, but he came before the tub arrived! I wished I had the birth tub with him, but had to use my own bath tub... not the same!
With DS2 I used the Birth Tub in a Box (had it shipped to me early), and it helped me a lot in labor. So, if we ever have another LO, I would most make sure I had a birth tub ready to go! They are magic!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

WATER BIRTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100%
Old 08-31-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post

So THIS time, I'm going with a midwife at a birth center, and she is VERY naturally minded.. instead of inductions, she gives her over-du patients herbal blends.
I'm sorry but I have to chime in here about "natural inductions" using herbal tinctures.

I pressume she using B&B cohosh. It is known for causing a drop in maternal BP and increase in FHT's.

I just attended a birth (HBAC) where the MW induced labor with an herbal tincture. It ended in a transfer and repeat c/s under general anest. :O( I'm beyond convinced that the "natural induction" lead to the section that could've been prevented.

Does she have to induce merely because you are 42wks? Does her backup dictate this? I would find out how often she induces with tinctures and out of those herbal inductions what the outcome is.

I don't want to rain on your parade, honest. I just want to caution you about herbs used to induce labor. Just because they are natural doesn't mean it's safe.

GOOD LUCK!
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an epi birth with DS and a 100% natural no IV/nothing waterbirth with DD.

Our hospital only has ONE room with a birthing tub and I am SO glad I got that room with DD. I used hypnobirthing and the water and I was seriously fine until my water broke about 2 minutes before she was born.

If I ever end up with another thats how I plan on going!