Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
dawnp15
Registered Users
seller

Wool mama's i need help

I'm trying to build my winter stash with some longies, and i'm having a hard time trying to figure out where to start. So far i have bought a pair of classic cranky pants and i like them. I want to buy more wool longies that are similar to that style. I know there are a lot of styles out there and i just feel lost LOL!!! I've been looking on hyena cart and i don't know where to start, i can't just have some made for me cause i don't know what i'm doing. Where can i go to find more longies that are very similar?? Someone please take me under their wing and help this mama out!!

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
mommato4kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool mama's i need help

bumping for the same reason! Looking for wool mama's to help out a wool newbie
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
ecummings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A good place to start would probably be under FSOT in the "All things Wool" forum. That way you could try out different styles for less. Or perhaps find just the ones you are looking for.

You can also go to Hyena Cart and do a search for longies or go on to Spots Corner. Just start perusing through the different stores. Congos usually carry a lot of knit items.

I like buying yarn and having longies custom made because my son has odd proportions. I honestly couldn't tell you much on the different types of yarn. I have a lot of Cestari Superfine longies and they work great. I also have some BFL that is great. What type of yarn you like is just based on preference though. Some people won't use Cestari and some only use it.

Does that help any? Do you have any specific questions?

Jacob (5/06) and Sean (7/08) and Carter (10/11)
ecummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
dublinup
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm a HUGE fan of Lyn1270 (Get Hooked). She's with the Chain Gang on Hyena Cart. I use her for my crocheted stuff, and everything I've gotten from her is seriously to die for.

I have a lady locally that does all my knitted stuff.

I like the look of crocheted woolies over knitted for the most part, but knitted has way more give/stretch and they seem a bit more comfy, and therefore they seem to last longer. I haven't used recycled wool, because I've heard so many people say they get leakage with them. I NEVER have leak problems with my knitted or crocheted wool, and consider them the ultimate in night time covers. I know that if I have a wool cover on, my sheets are safe from accidents. Some people are nervous to use it thinking it is too much work to take care of, but it is really easy. I probably wash my woolies every two weeks, and lanolize them every other washing. During the winter my son wears longies as day time lounge pants. I absolutely love longies! My advice is to pick someone that has good feedback, and offers pictures of their work. Knitted wool is more expensive than crocheted, because knitting takes longer. Keep in mind that with whoever you choose, you'll get what you pay for. A good pair of longies is worth a few extra bucks.
dublinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love rcarver / Carver Creations on the Chain Gang on HC for crochet, and I believe she is starting to do knit too. I am just getting into wool and I honestly wouldn't have done it if I didn't chat on the B2B thread daily and pick their brains. Look in the FSOT for WAHM's that are just getting started, but have good feedback and pics of their work. Sometimes you can get testers for a better price that are just as good. I ask alot of questions first. For recycled I like the look of Sweetiebird Fashions on HC ..... I have some knit but it seems thin compared to the crochet that I have. I am also saving pp for some mamazluv creations interlock pants. I don't know if that helps...

"Oh, dear. I really ought to do something. But I am all ready in my pajamas."
redgirlsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have no advice, but I wanted to say "Hello, stranger!"
Bekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
dawnp15
Registered Users
seller

LOL!!! Hey Bek!!

I guess i need to just got a custom spot and take the plunge. I figured you get what you pay for....So any more recomendations for some custom spots??
Old 08-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

There are some super talented knitters around here and DS,just make sure you check both i-trader and WAHM feedback.
If you tell the WAHM you are new to wool,she will be happy to explain how to measure,pros and cons of different types of wool.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
dawnp15
Registered Users
seller

How do i find them??
Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
wool-lover
Registered Users

I don't have any knit or crocheted soakers/longies. I just purchased some Babyology here from FSOT and can't wait to try them. The other ones I would like to try are Ruskovilla.

I have used Luxe Baby interlock shorties and love them. DS looks like and old fashioned wrestler in them, so adorable

I agree with a pp that FSOT and Hyena Cart's Spot's Corner are great places for pre-loved longies.
wool-lover is offline   Reply With Quote