Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #141
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Placenta Encapsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
Think about the act and process of blending something. The metal grinding the placenta is thought to create "negative, agressive, angry" energy and is therefore added to the placenta.

When I prepare a placenta encapsulation I try to be peaceful and mindful of what Im doing. Im normally an anxious person running a million miles a minute. I like to meditate on the act I'm doing and how it will nuture the mother in her recovery after bith.

I like to use fresh ginger and lemon rather then processed and powdered.

Just some thoughts.
Yeah, but I'm also doing it myself each time (as in, usually with a babe in arms, one hanging on my leg, the other one "helping" or whatever). So I'll take the easiest route. I'm not a believer in the "energy" stuff from blending anyway.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #142
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
Yeah, but I'm also doing it myself each time (as in, usually with a babe in arms, one hanging on my leg, the other one "helping" or whatever). So I'll take the easiest route. I'm not a believer in the "energy" stuff from blending anyway.
Lord bless you for doing it yourself, thats got to be a bit exhausting after having just given birth.
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #143
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpure8 View Post
Quick question! I was going to have this done with my last birth. I suffer from PPD after every birth. Problem was, the Mama I was going to have do it for me had her grandmother pass away and was out of town for a while. So I froze the placenta. It's still in the Deep freeze 14 months later! Would it still be viable?
I think of placenta like meat since I'm a trained chef. Would I want to eat meat that had been frozen for over a year, probably not nor would most people. It looses its nutrients over time while frozen. For encapsulation it should be done within 6 months after birth ideally.

However placenta has AMAZING anti-aging properties. If it were my placenta I would still turn it into a powder and add the powder to a face cream with some good essential oils
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #144
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda13 View Post
One more question for those who have done this. How big of a steamer/pot do you need? I have a stock pot that's about 9.25" wide and 4.5" high. I'm thinking about this steamer to put in it (I have one similar here at home, but it has a center post, so it wouldn't work. Do you think this is big enough? I just seem to remember that the placenta from DD's birth was so big!

My husband and doula are going to tag-team and do this while I'm still at the hospital, so it will be ready for me when I come home. They're awesome.
i use a standard sized (8 or 9 inches - i cant remember) stock pot and a separate colander/potato ricer that fits in the top. it sits 3 inches above the bottom so that it is steamed rather than boiled in the water/herbs. the colander has feet and i can use it in the sink when i rinse and drain the blood from the placenta. then i can just transfer the colander with the placenta into the pot for steaming.

the colander is bowl shaped so the placenta lays kind of concave but during the steaming they usually turn slightly convex. there is usually plenty of room for the placenta and i've never had to smoosh or fold a placenta to get it to fit. i lay it fetal side down and wrap or cover the maternal side with the membranes. it shrinks a lot during the steaming process.

My steam pot is similar to this
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #145
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I think of placenta like meat since I'm a trained chef. Would I want to eat meat that had been frozen for over a year, probably not nor would most people. It looses its nutrients over time while frozen. For encapsulation it should be done within 6 months after birth ideally.

However placenta has AMAZING anti-aging properties. If it were my placenta I would still turn it into a powder and add the powder to a face cream with some good essential oils
Thanks Mama! I can't bring myself to dispose of it! It's not like you can go buy more at the grocery. Wondering if I'm really up to thawing it out and going through the process. I don't think I could stomach it.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #146
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklebug View Post
Question for those of you who've done it... what kind of reaction do you get from people? Or do you just not mention it, to avoid any negative reactions? I've mentioned it to my mom and DH before, kind of in passing. DH had little to no response...my mom thinks it's nasty, so I sort of feel like if I have it done I just won't say anything to anyone besides DH. IDK?
Usually I tell the people who are grossed about this to think about pharmaceutical meds that would be prescribed for EACH thing this ONE placenta pill does. So you would need 4-6 different pills. Think for a moment about the SERIOUS side effects antidepressiant meds have.

Common side effects of SSRI antidepressants:
Nausea
Insomnia
Anxiety
Restlessness
Decreased sex drive
Dizziness
Weight gain or loss
Tremors
Sweating
Sleepiness
Fatigue
Dry mouth
Diarrhea
Constipation
Headaches

Antidepressant warning signs:
Suicidal thoughts or attempts
New or worse depression
New or worse anxiety
Aggression and anger
Acting on dangerous impulses
New or worse irritability
Feeling agitated or restless
Difficulty sleeping
Extreme hyperactivity
Other unusual changes in behavior

THAT IS A LOT OF SIDE EFFECTS from just ONE med! No pharmeceutical med is without side effects. All the side effects from 4-6 different meds are GROSS. Placenta encapsulation is not. Your placenta is hormonally unique to you! Amazing! It has NO side effects beyond an unpleasant smell during the steaming process.

When I provide them with that information it puts it into perspective usually and they tend to think about encapuslation much differently
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
Old 04-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #147
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpure8 View Post
Thanks Mama! I can't bring myself to dispose of it! It's not like you can go buy more at the grocery. Wondering if I'm really up to thawing it out and going through the process. I don't think I could stomach it.
You can always plant it with a new tree

With the water/juice that is left over from steaming I will usually add it to a favorite plant the family may have or to the garden because I believe it also contains nutrients. Can't hurt right
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
Old 04-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #148
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Quote:
Think about the act and process of blending something. The metal grinding the placenta is thought to create "negative, agressive, angry" energy and is therefore added to the placenta.
But grinding dehydrated placenta doesn't create negative energy?

My understanding is the less processed it is, the more nutritional value it has.
olstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #149
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by olstep View Post
But grinding dehydrated placenta doesn't create negative energy?

My understanding is the less processed it is, the more nutritional value it has.
I guess it's the grinding it AFTER its been steamed and dehydrated is okay.

I'm trying to do some research on this actually and how it all relates to the TCM. You can use a mortor and pestel too, but that does take A LOT longer :wink

These are simply theroies.

Do you have any research on the less processed it is that makes it more nutritional?
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM

Last edited by cali4niachef; 04-02-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #150
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Quote:
Do you have any research on the less processed it is that makes it more nutritional?
No, it is just my assumption based on the recommendation to eat less processed food. I also read that raw placenta is more beneficial.

Maybe steaming is for sterilization purpose? Or better preservation?
olstep is offline   Reply With Quote