Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #221
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Placenta Encapsulation

I just read ALL 22 pages of this and WOW! First off the pics were kind of gross looking but I liked them. I'm glad they were part of the tutorial. I'm pretty amazed at all the women who freaked out about the pics I definitely plan to do this in Sept when baby #4 comes. I'll probably have to do it myself (or DH who is excited) because there is no one near me who does it. I'm worried it's going to smell up the house but I'm so excited about all the benefits. I had such bad PPD with DD and bad baby blues with the other 2 almost to the point that I would consider it PPD. I can't wait to try this! Thanks so much OP for all of the pics and explanation!

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #222
luvinmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok so I have a really weird question but I'm a chef so this is how I think. Here it goes at the risk of sounding like an idiot.

All through Culinary school I was taught that the more you cook foods = less vitamins and nutrients you get from them. Doesn't steaming the placenta and then dehydrating it remove a lot of what is so beneficial or not so much?

Im also very curious because my SO and I plan on a third child and this means a third c-section for me. I tend to have trouble with my milk coming in. Usually takes about a week and was wondering if this could possibly help
luvinmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #223
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Would you mind if I shared this instructions with a friend pregnant friend through facebook?
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #224
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and thanks for sharing and I think the pictures were a little gross, but helped clarify the instructions. DH doesn't get as grossed out by stuff so I'm going to see if he'll do it for me if I buy all he needs.

Also, my delivery will be via c-section so I'm going to get them to freeze the placenta...how do you thaw it out, just set it in the sink?
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #225
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
Steaming is thought to "warm" the placenta and therefor help with warming and healing the body. Traditional chinese medicine teaches that nothing cold should be given to a new mother, thus the steaming. chinese also have their new mothers eat nothing but soups and teas for the first few weeks.

More on TCM for Postpartum
http://www.earthmamasweb.com/article...nancy/post.htm
That makes a lot of sense to me. After DD was born, I was FREEZING! Between milk leaking all over and making me cold and it being early winter, there were times where I would just be shaking all over and teeth chattering and just couldn't get warm. This baby's due in March but I'm thinking some beef stew is going to be awesome for my first post-birth meal.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #226
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinmommy View Post
ok so I have a really weird question but I'm a chef so this is how I think. Here it goes at the risk of sounding like an idiot.

All through Culinary school I was taught that the more you cook foods = less vitamins and nutrients you get from them. Doesn't steaming the placenta and then dehydrating it remove a lot of what is so beneficial or not so much?

Im also very curious because my SO and I plan on a third child and this means a third c-section for me. I tend to have trouble with my milk coming in. Usually takes about a week and was wondering if this could possibly help
You don't have to steam it first, that is just the traditional chinese medicine way to do it. You can just cut it up and put it straight in the dehydrator. The oven doesn't get low enough to dehydrate it without cooking it but if you have a good dehydrator you can set the temp for less than 107F (I would do 105F) and it will still be considered "living" or "raw" food. It will take a little longer on such a low setting but I think it would well be worth the benefits. I don't have a dehydrator but I'm praying I will somehow be able to get one before September.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #227
Skittle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can I throw in a gentle correction? Placenta prepared via raw foods method is dehydrated below 118F.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #228
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinmommy View Post

I went to culinary school too!!!

You can do the raw method where you skip the steaming process and dehydrate under 118F.

However there are some good reasons to steam.

i think there are several compelling reasons to steam.

1) most placentas are born via the birth canal so just as the baby coming down gets a nice big mouth-full of bacteria (including maternal fecal matter) which will go on to culture his gut, the placenta also gets a significant amount of cultures which then grow on the placenta. if consumed while fairly fresh, i don't think this is much of a problem but if it sits around for a little bit (and who really knows how long or short this takes) then you've got to realize that there are some significant amounts of bacteria breeding on that placenta. steaming takes care of that.

2) the TCM method, as rean said, requires some form of cooking to make it the potent medicine that it is. and that is over 5000 years of experience talking there!

3) from what i can tell, all other (pre-industrial) cultures with a tradition of placenta consumption (aside from immediate use at the birth to curb bleeding or something) use some form of cooking, curing or tincturing. i'm a big believer in doing what has been working for a long time.

i think there are a lot of legitimate ways to prepare and use the placenta. i think it is so powerful in its life-supporting nature that you can do just about anything with it and it can still produce good results. but i also think some ways are preferable under some circumstances - if a placenta isn't super fresh or mom had some other iffy factors surrounding her labor and birth then i feel much more comfortable steaming it than doing it raw

- "cooking destroys the beneficial hormones" - this is not true.

- "all other mammals consume the placenta raw" - true and somewhat compelling to me as an argument for consuming it right after the birth but that isn't a good rational for the raw method which also dries, powdered and encapsulates the placenta and takes it over a period of time, which the other mammals don't do.

- "doing it raw is a lot easier and less time consuming" - that's great, but on its own, this is a terrible excuse.

cooking doesn't destroy the beneficial properties because anybody who has taken TCM placenta pills will tell you that it was still beneficial. are there some differences in how moms experience the raw vs the TCM pills? sure, but that doesn't mean that one is more beneficially potent because raw gives a more immediate energy boost and TCM a longer, sustained energy tonification. its just a dollar bill vs 100 pennies at that point.

i think individual PSPs(Placenta Service Providers) are totally shooting the whole "industry" in the foot when they make unsubstantiated public suggestions that the TCM method destroys the beneficial hormones. a case could even be made that either way you do it, the half-life of all the main hormones is so short (a few hours to a couple of days) that after a week there should be no hormonal benefit left! of course i don't believe this - i took just 2 of my 2+ year old (TCM) placenta pills recently and immediately developed totally hormonal acne again. and of course we still worry about hormone residues in our food long after it should have degraded.

i also think the level of cooking does have something to do with the benefit or not of the placenta medicine. even in that article on placentaphagy where the author promotes mostly raw consumption, she says "steroids [which is what many sex hormones are] are destroyed by high temperatures. A chemist tells me that steroids are stable at 100oC so placental stew would be a better recipe, frying temperatures are probably too hot." so while i do advocate the benefits of gentle steaming and low-heat dehydrating, i'm not a fan of frying it up with onions as is sometimes suggested or of overcooking or even too long and hot oven-drying.

Copying & Pasting from this POST, not sure if you can see it thats why I C&P it

~ Cindy
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM

Last edited by cali4niachef; 07-09-2011 at 08:46 PM.
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #229
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowangel View Post
Would you mind if I shared this instructions with a friend pregnant friend through facebook?
Share away!!!
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #230
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My original tutorial is HERE, I have updated it a bit.
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM