Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
txangl04
Registered Users

My Mood:
I feel horrible...

I think I have to report my friend to CPS... Here's the situation: My friend and her husband and his ex wife (yes I know, odd) and 5 kids all live together in a 4 bedroom house that they bought 2.5 years ago. While I understand that cleaning up after 5 kids must be hell, there is no reason to have animal feces on the floor and not pick it up. The kids, ranging age between 13 and 3, have become so used to it that they don't pick it up. It's in their bedrooms, kitchen, etc. And the ROACHES! OMG they are everywhere! I know it is hard to get rid of german roaches once you get them, but I feel it is a MAJOR problem when they are crawling over your furniture, in your tv, etc. This isn't a recent problem by any means. When I bring my dd over there, I pick up my friend and we go somewhere else. I won't eat over there, and even when I babysit I bring the youngest to my house. (It's a 25 mile drive 1 way...) anywho. I don't feel like I can talk to her about this. If she hasn't caught the hint with me scrubbing in her kitchen or asking her to pick up dog poo then she never will. You would think that with 3 adults in the house they wouldn't have this problem! Do you think I'm in the right for doing this or should I just organize an all out cleaning party knowing full well it'll be back to "normal" within a week?

Advertisement

txangl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: I feel horrible...

I'd call cps for sure, no excuse for living in a filthy place, animal feces and roaches? that is unhealthy and just disgusting!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

about 3 years ago we moved, the house had roaches before we moved in but we didn't know it... 2 days after moving i got into a car accident and hurt my hip and back, I was also preggo with lil D.
Our house was a wreck! a big one! I was useless, and DH was overwhelmed and unmotivated. It stayed a wreck until the day we moved out.
I wish we had some sort of help.

That being said.... try the cleaning party first... then if it goes back to normal... call CPS

Also, there is no excuse for not cleaning up after pets... and when you have kids as old as 13, no reason they can't clean! I had 3 kids under 3.5 by the time I was physically able to move around again.. when we moved into the next place my house did not return to chaos.. it was imperfect and I had help but it still was no where as bad as before.

Last edited by MarinesFamily5; 09-03-2009 at 12:04 PM.
MarinesFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

gross!
I'd be careful w/ bringing her kids to your house. Roaches can get into the clothes and be transferred into your place.

I would have an intervention, and let her know flat out that you'd call on her if they don't clean up.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
LanesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would call... but be aware that "feces" isn't considered imminent danger and they may just talk to your friend and maybe do a follow up visit. Might be enough to kick their butts into gear, though. I had to learn this hard lesson after calling cps myself and being told what I just told you. Strange to me that it isn't dangerous...
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
txangl04
Registered Users

My Mood:

MarinesFamily5- HOORAH! I see where you're coming from, but all the adults in the household are physically able to do something. Maybe not the dad because he works long hours doing oilfield work, but it just seems to me that they get by doing the bare minimum. I just find it hard to believe that its acceptable in their mind? I am not a clean freak by any means, and I do have a large dog, a fiance and a 15 month old. But with all that going on, I have never had to scrub off grease coated roaches off my stove top... or watch roaches have family reunions on my wall above the sink. Hell, I've never even had to tell a guest "don't put your food under the cabinet, the roaches will fall out"!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Growing up my parents bred/sold toy poodles so there was always dog poo everywhere-it was super gross but it wasn't the end of the world....I would not call CPS over something like that. As for roaches go-its hard to get rid of those suckers so again I don't think that's a CPS worthy offense......my vet just removed 11 bot fly larva from my pet rabbit so I know bugs can be little demons
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
txangl04
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanesMama View Post
Strange to me that it isn't dangerous...
Well its probably because the system is so full of foster kids anyway... And its not that I want the kids taken away, they didn't do anything to deserve that! I just want her to get the crap scared out of her, ykwim?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
fkonkal
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm the oldest of six. It can't be that hard to clean up after 5 kids, because house was always very clean and tidy. And at 13 I had quite a few chores, so there should be plenty of people in that house capable of keeping it clean.

I'd call.
fkonkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
MelindaLW143
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

cps does nothing about a dirty house anymore