Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:
Sensory issues? What could this be?

I have no idea if I am thinking about this correctly or not as I have done no research on sensory issues, just thought I would come here first. Anyhow, dd will be 3 in Feb and I wonder if she has issues with touch/texture, etc. For example, lately she is complaining b/c her panties are always "crooked", there really is nothing wrong with them, but I "straighten" them for her or she will have a meltdown. If she is eating some gooey or messy, she wants to hold it in a papertowel or the wrapper, she doesn't want it on her hands. If a little drop of water or wetness gets on her in any way, it must be taken care of immediately, or a melt down will insue. Like if she spills (even just one drop) or something on her shirt, it HAS to come off. Also, she prefers not to wear clothes, just undies, ALL the time. I know that is partially our doing b/c that is pretty much all we require her to wear around the house. Oh, and turtlenecks she pretty much refuses to wear b/c in her words, "it's touching my little chin". Is this just her being a kid, or could this be more? I plan to bring it up to her pedi next month, but know some mamas here have dealt with these things so thought I would ask.

Also, she is have MAJOR separation issues, like I can't even leave the room kind of thing. If I go somewhere and take her with me, she cries b/c we are leaving dh. If I offer to leave her with him, she cries b/c I am going. Not sure what prompted this, I think maybe preschool. Before we moved (moving is not the issue, she was like this before) she was in a preschool just one day a week, 1/2 the day. She was fine with it for about 2 months, let me leave her, no issues. Then 1 day, she had a complete meltdown, like you have never seen. I tried to just leave her, but stood in the lobby and listened to her scream for 10 mins without pause. I went to her and asked if she wanted me to stay with her and she didn't even want that. She won't even go to the bathroom on her own, where she used to just fine. I really am at a loss here. Scared to death she has something wrong with her that I am missing. Any advice?

Advertisement

mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
kquigs
Registered Users

Re: Sensory issues? What could this be?

My dd was just diagnosed with tactile hypersensitivity, which kinda sounds like what your dealing with. It can be severe with everything bothering them, or just one or two things that irritate them. My daughter would not bear weight on her legs at all but was perfectly normal in everyway, I did notice she was really aware of texture and was tactilly defensive to some things. She also likes to be with me all the time. She started therapy when she was 11months old in Nov. After talking to the therapist OT and PT. They are just there to desenseitize(sp) her, and to teach her ways to deal with uncomfortable things. She is really making progress now. I do notice when she is more tired or overwhellmed with noise, smells and other things it does get worse. I hope this helps if you have any questions let me know. I also googled [U]tactile hypersensitivity[U] Something the therapist also said is everyone has things that bother them in some form or another, but when they interupt daily life they need to be addressed
Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
kquigs
Registered Users

Some websites: www.sensory-processing.com, and www.sensorycritters.com, there was one better one I will try to find it for you.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
kquigs
Registered Users

Sorry to post again, While reading other posts I realized I didn't say why dd didn't weight bear on her legs. She didn't like the way it felt to have weight on her legs if you tried to stand her up as soon as ball of feet hit the ground she would lift them off the floor.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
mom2kailinconnor
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the sites, I will definitely check them out! I googled sensory dysfunction and got a site that listed so many things dd does. Like she walks on her toes, not frequently, but she has been doing it since she could walk, and it also depends on the surface (ie, she always does it on thicker carpet). She hates loud noises and covers her ears when I vacuum, etc. She is very sensitive to smell as well. She is constantly smelling things like where people sit, things ds has drooled on, etc. I am definitely going to talk to her pedi about it as I am pretty convinced now this is the issue, however minor.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest Ds is also that way, he has some sensory issues that he has learned to live with as he has got older, he had no formal diagnosis, he started all this as an infant 18yrs ago and the docs blew it off as nothing back then. Plus we had a HMO that didn't want to do anything.
He was (and still is sometimes) a tippy toe walker, he didn't put his feet down till he was older, maybe two (I think it was) sock seams, shoes, labels in clothes, seams inside clothes, all drove him crazy and caused meltdowns.
He never melted to you as an infant when held, he would arch his back. He tolerated me hugging him close as he was hungry and I was the food source.
Loud noises bothered him too, my hairdryer made him go balistic, I would make sure he was as far away from the bathroom and close the door so he didn't hear the full noise.
He is also a bit (or borderline) OCD this came out as a teen.
He's doing fine and copes well. He's at college now so he turned out pretty good
Music was and still is a big deal to him, it helps him calm down and relax, and keeps him from overloading.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
mom2kailinconnor
seller

My Mood:

Music is a big deal for dd as well. There is a radio constantly playing in her room and she pretty much demands music in the car. Some more things I have thought of:

When she sleeps, her blankets have to be just so.
Nothing can be touching her except blankets and pillow when she sleeps.
She will turn her pillow over so that her head lays on the part that was on the bottom so she can feel the "cool side."
She too has to have sock seams just so, although clothing tags don't seem to bother her.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nadia(4.5) has undiagnosed SID. Certain clothes she will not wear, she likes specific textures of foods. Noises are a big issue for her she has learned to deal with probably about half of that issue. Do not ever bring a balloon near her though, she freaks out after an incident at the school a few years ago with loud noises & ballooons. She demands alot of touch. She is hyposensitive to some things and hypersensitive to others. Sniffing her clothes(or mine) is 1 way she deals with overstimulation. She sucks her fingers and pulls on 1 ear(to the point of making it bleed). These are the issues I'm trying to work with her on now as she goes into K in the fall.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
MommaBelt
waiting on response to fsot issue 4/11

My son is very similar to this, though it goes both ways ( hyper and hypo) at times he seeks out sensations, and at others he avoids it, depending on whats going on with him. If It wasnt for his ASD ( autism) diagnosis he would already have a SID diagnosis. some of the things he does

Hypersensitive
~nothing gooey can be on his hands ( OT therapist has been working at keeping shaving cream on his hands for more than a min.. hes got 25 sec, tops)
~will only eat certain foods
~he doesnt wear shirts with tag, long sleeved shirts, mittens, or hats
~he refuses to let me wash his hair, rinse his hair, or brush his teeth
~ cannont stand natural sunlight, flips out if it gets in his eyes
( theres many more these are just the most)

Hyposensitivity
~seeks sensations by running into things on purpose, slamming himself on the floor, smacking his face, bititing his arm
~doesnt get hurt, seems like nothing hurts him (i.e. when I was perggers with me DD I tripped while I was carrying him and landed on top of him and he giggled, like it fealt good)
~ never crys when he gets blood drawn
~ can be in the cold nearly naked and doesnt complain, picks up snow, and will walk in snow barefoot.

I would definatly ask your pedi, and if they brush it off ask for further evals, or a specialty place,everything you listed seems to be a hypersensitivty I think its RELLY important you can use sensory intergration so they can grow up being able to tolerate typical situations, If they cant they will just get so frustrated, and can lead to other issues.
MommaBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
mom2kailinconnor
seller

My Mood:

She is the same with getting her hair washed, absolutely freaks her out, every time. She too freaks if we are in the car and sun gets in her eyes. She is not quite as extreme with the snow, but she NEVER gets cold.