Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I hate doctors, nurses, MWs, hospitals, and the whole stinkin' lot!

Grrrrr....I really hate the whole medical profession in this country! I so want to have a homebirth this time but the midwives I've talked to won't do it until 36 weeks and that's not looking very likely so I've been seeing a CNM in the meantime. Well, a little of my history, I miscarried my first baby at 12 weeks, then had PROM with my second at 34.5 weeks (although he was perfectly healthy...he just cooked fast!) This time, I started having pre-term labor at 23 weeks and have been on modified bedrest for a while. At 24 weeks, the midwife told me that I was going to stress and fret about this for the rest of the pregnancy and then she'd wind up having to induce me in the end. Yeah, right...hold your breath for that!! At 29 weeks, she told me that all the early signs were there and she'd be very surprised if I made it another 4 weeks. So now I'm 30.5 weeks and trying to hold on. Well, most of the afternoon, I've been feeling pretty uncomfortable and cramping a lot. Around 5:30 or so, I started having distinct contractions pretty regular...like every 5-8 minutes. Then I started leaking something (sorry..tmi) No gushing fluids but definitely a slow leak. So I told dh to get ready to go to the hospital and I called the CNM's answering service. Her husband is an OB in the same practice and apparently he's the one they paged because he called me back. I told him what was going on and he said to go to the hospital. Really? You think? He asked me how far away I was (I live about 5 miles from their practice but it's a good little drive to the hospital) and I told him that depending on traffic it would take me 30-45 minutes to get there, but I also had to drop my toddler off on the way so it may take as long as an hour. Well, Dr. Dumb@$$ starts lecturing me on how I need to get there as quickly as possible because if I'm really in labor, they need to stop it but they can only stop it up to a certain point and if I go beyond that point, then there's nothing they can do. Ok...so let me off the phone so I can go then!!! So we rush DJ over to my mom's house and we actually got really lucky with the traffic and redlights and made it to the hospital in just about half an hour. Of course, once we got there, L&D was packed. I explained to the triage nurse what was going on and that the OB should have called about me. She said yes and to have a seat and wait my turn for registration. Close to an hour later, I actually got into registration. This is the second time we've been to the hospital for this pregnancy but no, we still have to do everything again. My first son was born at a different hospital (this one is supposedly much better...so far I'm not seeing it!) but with him, we preregistered so that when I showed up in labor, there was no paperwork. I asked the registration lady if there was anything we could do (like preregister) to speed up the process for next time and she said no, even if you preregister, she still has to confirm everything when you come in. I asked her if anyone had ever dropped a baby right there in her office and she got a little snippy and said that if someone is "really" in labor, they'll go ahead and put her in a room and just let her dh do the paperwork. I guess that's only for the ones that are really in labor...as opposed to the rest of us who like to go in there just for fun. So, finally finished up with her and got sent back to the triage nurse with the appropriate paperwork...she told me to have a seat and they'd get a bed ready for me as soon as possible. Good thing I'm not really in labor or anything!! After almost 45 minutes of waiting for a room (this is after the hour waiting for registration), my MW came walking down the hall and saw me sitting there. I ticked everyone off by telling her she needed to let her husband know that I did get to the stupid hospital half an hour after I talked to him and it's not my fault that they didn't do anything for me for 2 more hours! I also told dh very loudly that if I did wind up having this baby early, I wondered if we could sue the hospital for not getting me in quick enough to stop the labor. So FINALLY, they take me back to the L&D triage area (you don't get a real room until they confirm that you're really in labor). The CNM and the nurse both came in and quickly hooked me up to monitors, did a cath to see if I had a bladder infection, a swab to see if my water had broken, and checked my cervix. I joked that now that I was on the monitors, at least the contractions would stop. The nurse said that she could see them. The CNM said that I had a yeast infection and was "probably" a little dehydrated but my membranes were intact and I was not dilated. She suggested that I leave DJ at my parents house for the night, take something to help me relax, and get some rest. I don't think I was even on the monitors for a whole 10 minutes and she was sending me home. I mean that's better than sitting at the hospital all night, but still. The thing that ticked me off the most was that just before we left, she told the nurse "I'll tell you what's going on here. She had a preterm baby last time and now she's just having a little anxiety about this one." Apparently she saw the steam coming out of my ears because then she rushed to tell me that it's ok to be anxious and it's better to be safe than sorry, but I felt totally stupid! So the whole time I was getting my discharge instructions, the nurse was acting like I was a total hypochondriac or something. She acted like I was completely stupid...if you think you might be having contractions, try taking a warm shower. Gee...that never occured to me. Especially considering that I've been having regular contractions for the past couple of months! GRRRRRRR!

Advertisement

bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hate doctors, nurses, MWs, hospitals, and the whole stinkin' lot!

I'm sorry you were treated like that. I know what you mean about the whole medical industry doing rediculous acts with lives in thier hands. They almost killed me and my dad with synthetics that built up as toxins in our livers. I've been studying natural medicine and haven't been to a doc in years. I wish rightious midwives were as commen as docters. You know that there are herbs to prevent premature labor? Here's a link I found with info on them: http://www.moondragon.org/obgyn/pregnancy/premielb.html

Good luck with your birth. I'll be praying for the real Dr. God to take good care of you! Best wishes for a beautiful, graceful birth!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really do feel for you. During labor a nurse told me I was having braxton hicks and to come back when I was in "real" labor. Just keep on them and keep going in anytime you feel like you need to. I'm glad I went back because my uterus was really having problems with all the contractions and I hemraged (sp?) after birth.

Oh, and of course your nervous about having this baby early! I can't believe she would say that to you! I heard that you can ask your mw for those strips that can tell if your water broke then you won't have deal with this again.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh man!! i hope nothings going on or your and your babyas sake, thats just completely crazy and i feel so bad i was pregnant with mine and they were telling me hed probably be super early cause my whole family no one goes over 36 weeks at most, but me apparently, and whem my mom was preg with me, but anyway, they were all preparing me for it and then all of a sudden i was leaking*something* and they told e i was crazy and not dialated (well one did) and im sorry, if i acn get one finger and part of another in my cervix and 3 days before it was closed super tight, SOMETHINGS going one! kwim? i hate them too!! im just glad i didnt go through an early one and then get told im paranoid, i would have went off on them at that point cause of all the crap they put you through!

are you doing okay now? hows your baby doing?
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I would have been right there with you with some loud snarky remarks! I had an LD nurse yell at me for not coming in 5 hours sooner when I initially thought my water broke. Why? To be sent home just like they were doing at that point because it actually hadn't been my membranes breaking, but rather pool water that got trapped "up there" so when I sat in a certain position, it came out. (The joys of being 9 months pregnant and going to the pool). I snapped at her too.

But lots and lots of to you mama... and I hope you can have a more uneventful evening tonight!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

I'm so sorry, you are so right to feel pissed that you were treated like that!

I assume that considering a UC is not an option you're realistically entertaining?

I hope all ends up great!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I was always told that if something is wrong, regardless, head to L&D. But you get there and they act like that. So discouraging.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thats crap! I'da been so mad....I'm sorry mama!!!

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

I'm feelin ya too. I hate going to hospitals and having to deal with drs, nurses, the whole deal. You'd think we weren't paying them for their services or something!!
Maybe your dh could deliver your baby for you.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:41 AM   #10
MamaJenn
Banned

My Mood:

Im soo very sorry you got the brunt of the bad side of the medical community...there REALLY are nice/caring and loving nurses and yes even doctors out there. I know believe me Im a Grad LPN.....who has worked in the hospital and healthcare centers...so I BTDT on both ends..patient and nurse.

Just dont ever think that all are that way...kwim..BLAME the hospital/business dept etc..most of the time those nurses are overworked and on mandatory OT....and just have had it..believe me BTDT on both sides because of this situation.

HUGE hugs to you mama....hang in there..have you looked into a Womens Birthing Center? That might be a more easy going option.
jenn
MamaJenn is offline   Reply With Quote