Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2006, 06:26 AM   #11
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hate doctors, nurses, MWs, hospitals, and the whole stinkin' lot!

OMG! That is just...wow. There are so many things wrong there. Unbelievable that you would have to sit there for so long. {{{hugs}}} I hope it all gets better for you!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #12
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

anytime a woman goes in before 36 weeks thinking she might be in labor they need to get her in triage asap! that's just ridiculous. with my 2nd i went in at 30.5 weeks just to get sent home then at 31.5 weeks i was back in there and they hooked me up to monitors (at this particular hospital they do all that registration crap while you are in triage figuring out whats going on, makes more sense!!) and had me drinking fluids and blah blah blah. the nurse kept telling me there were no contractions and that i wasn't in any pain so i couldn't possibly be in labor. then she decides she's going to do the strep b test on me, well obviously she could see that i was dialated w/the bag bulging (sorry TMI) b/c she suddenly deicides (it's been about 1 to 1.5 hours at this point that i've been arguing w/her, her answer of course before this was that i just needed fluids) anyhow, she decides she needs to check me all of a sudden and i'm at 6 w/the bag bulging so i need to be rushed up to L&D. i was on mag for 3 days and then bedrest at the hospital the rest. sucked, but goes to show a mama knows when a mama knows. contractions or not i was dialating. another nurse told me that sometimes w/back labor it doesn't always show on their little monitors.
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:45 AM   #13
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was in labor with #2 and the nurse said they'd probably discharge me b/c my ctx were only 3-6 min apart and registering fairly small....like they were bh ctx... (i think the monitor was not in the right place, because they sure didn't feel small)...anyway, she kept acting like i was over-reacting and in 'false labor" or whatever....when they finally checked my cervix, they found me to be progressing very rapidly....I gave birth shortly after. I don't trust medical professionals at all They assume things and make an opinion about you or your condition before assessing everything & the actual situation. Mama and I hope future appts or issues are resolved in an appropriate, timely, and respectful manner.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #14
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

when are these nurses going to figure out that we know what are bodies are doing? i do understand that there are women out there who don't or first time mom's sometimes don't but that doesn't mean that all of us don't know. and they really need to go through everything first before coming to their own flipping conclusions. some women it doesn't take a whole lot to open their cervix, some just open, some don't have any pain, and some have a ton. it's all very different and none of it is explanatory and nurses (hopefully i don't offend anybody here) are SOMETIMES just nurses and need to speak to a dr or mw b/c they come to their own damn conclusion b/c it's not always right, like in my case it was NOT right. i ended up seeing that nurse again during my stay and she tells me "oh honey you're still here we weren't expecting you to make it the week w/that bag bulging like that at 6!" i wanted to deck her. MAYBE i wouldn't have gotten to 6 had she checked me to start w/instead of waiting 1 to 1.5 hours and arguing w/me about being in labor.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

OMG! I would be LIVID!!!!!!!!! Is there any way you can switch Dr's and hospitals???? Since I already have serious issues wiht Dr's and hospital it would take ONE time for me to fire the lot.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #16
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry for your bad experience. I can totally understand your frustration with that situation. I just wanted you to know that there are caring nurses out there! I've worked as an RN in a small rural hospital for the past ten years and have always tried to treat my labor patients as I like to be treated. We only deal with family practice physicians so we don't deal with alot of high risk pregnancies, although we do see our fair share. As long as there are monitors available (which may mean removing one from a low risk/early labor patient), the first thing we do when a patient gets there (esp. with a history of preterm labor/delivery) is hook you up and start an assessment. This sometimes means a vag exam depending on your gestation and/or symptoms. As an aside, you can't go by what the monitors says as far as contraction pattern. You have to palpate the uterus to confirm whether or not there are contractions. Nurses are often put in awkward positions being the "go between" between the physician and the patient. We don't always agree with the doctors' orders, yet we must follow them. Anyway, I'm rambling. Just wanted you to know how sorry I am for the treatment and that I wish you well on the rest of your pregnancy! I hope things settle down for you and your sweet baby! Heidi
HeidiMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #17
MamaJenn
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myajdw
when are these nurses going to figure out that we know what are bodies are doing? i do understand that there are women out there who don't or first time mom's sometimes don't but that doesn't mean that all of us don't know. and they really need to go through everything first before coming to their own flipping conclusions. some women it doesn't take a whole lot to open their cervix, some just open, some don't have any pain, and some have a ton. it's all very different and none of it is explanatory and nurses (hopefully i don't offend anybody here) are SOMETIMES just nurses and need to speak to a dr or mw b/c they come to their own damn conclusion b/c it's not always right, like in my case it was NOT right. i ended up seeing that nurse again during my stay and she tells me "oh honey you're still here we weren't expecting you to make it the week w/that bag bulging like that at 6!" i wanted to deck her. MAYBE i wouldn't have gotten to 6 had she checked me to start w/instead of waiting 1 to 1.5 hours and arguing w/me about being in labor.

IMHO I think its not ALL nurses...its ALOT of them but not all. I really trully think its like ANY job..some people just let their personality in before opening their mouths or thinking twice kwim?
Im rambling..but really I wouldnt ever say its all nurses. Again to teh OP...it really sucks being treated as if you are clueless..Ive BTDT as a nurse being a patient. Some people just arent made to work in this profession
MamaJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #18
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you to everyone for the hugs and concerns. The vistaril she gave me to help me relax last night did nothing for me last night, although today I feel like I'm stoned! The contractions did finally settle down last night but I was still cramping and unable to get comfortable. Today I feel like I was hit by a bus and just can't find a comfortable position. I feel awful for saying this but I am so ready for this pregnancy to be over with!! With my first, I had a really easy pregnancy (and a relatively easy delivery) but I had PPD afterwards. I've been worried about that the whole time with this one because I just don't feel "connected" with this baby or this pregnancy or whatever...I'm afraid I won't bond with him or something. At this point, I think I'll be so relieved to be done with the pregnancy that there's no way I'll get depressed about anything that happens after the birth, ya know?

I do apologize for generalizing about all medical professionals. I really do believe that the system is the problem, not the individuals. "The system" is run by insurance companies and drug companies and IMO many of their actions border on criminal! Of course there are bad apples in every bunch and medical professionals get burnt out just like everyone else but I do think that a majority of doctors and nurses are doing what they believe is best and are doing their best to work within a corrupt system. Now, the corruption starts in med school if not before, so sometimes when they believe they're doing what is right, that's only because they've been brainwashed by the insurance/drug company execs, but still, I do believe that they want to do what's best. It's just so frustrating!!

My dh is a lot more "mainstream" than I am (I've only started straying left of the middle since my first son was born) and he's also a lot more easy-going, roll with the punches than me. He didn't like how things went at the hospital when DJ was born, he hasn't liked the two experiences we've had so far with this one, but he figures that's just the way it is and there's nothing you can do about it. He doesn't want to have a homebirth because he's afraid (maybe rightfully so?) that if something goes wrong and we do wind up having to transport to the hospital, then we'll be going in and having to deal with all the red tape in the middle of an emergency situation...at least if we start out at the hospital, maybe we can be through all that before things get really hairy. Sad, but true! I do wish we had birthing centers around here, but unfortunately, GA has some really backwards laws. CNMs have to practice alongside (or under) OBs...so they have to work in hospitals. Direct-entry midwives have to be licensed by the state...but the state hasn't issued a license since 1978!!! So, no midwives, no birthing centers. The state legislature is debating right now about whether to start licensing midwives again...funny thing...there was never an official policy to stop licensing them...they just started ignoring all the applications. It surprises me how many direct-entry midwives we have practicing just under the radar because they can actually be arrested for practicing medicine without a license. All of the ones I've interviewed require the parents to sign a consent/release form saying that you understand that they're not licensed and that it is against the law for them to give medical advice or perform medical procedures.

As for hospitals, the one we're using is supposedly the best women's center on the southside of Atlanta. There are a couple of hospitals on the north side that are better but those are more than an hour away even in good traffic. Actually, what I've heard from people who have delivered at this hospital is that once you get past the registration/triage area, L&D really is awesome. So far I just haven't made it past the bouncers to get behind the velvet rope. And I really do like my CNM...she just gets on my nerves sometimes. I guess it's kind of like my husband...his sense of humor is one of the things that attracted me to him and one of the reasons I love him, but when I need him to be serious, his sense of humor makes me want to rip his head off. With my MW, I like the fact that she's calm and hands-off and never gets rattled, but last night, that made it seem like she was minimizing or belittling my concerns, even though I'm pretty sure that's not how she meant it.

Actually, like I said, I'm ready to be done with this pregnancy so in that sense, I guess yes, I am a little anxious about labor, but I really have very little anxiety about having this baby early. DJ was born at 34.5 weeks and we are absolutely certain about his dates beyond a shadow of a doubt, but he was ready. I don't consider him to be a preemie...he was full grown and fully developed...he just didn't need as long and came when he was ready, not when the OB was ready. Now, to think about having this baby at 30 weeks is pushing it a bit...I don't think this baby is ready even if he thinks he is, but I trust in God and my body and my baby to work things out the way they need to be. I'm not going for daily jogs in the GA heat because I don't want to rush things along any, but I know that this baby will come at exactly the right time for him regardless of what anyone else thinks. What concerns me the most is that with DJ, I never realized I was in labor. My water broke while I was getting ready for work and he was born 5 hours later. I had some moderate cramping, but no worse than a period (not as bad as many periods!) and never felt a contraction that I could time. The monitors were showing good hard contractions, but I just felt cramps. Even when it came to pushing, I thought I needed to go to the bathroom. I had felt constipated all day and I kept telling the nurse I needed to poop. I never felt like I've been told labor is supposed to be. It was rather a funny series of events that even led to me going to the hospital that morning at all. My son very well might have been born in a toilet at work because I never would have guessed that I was in labor. And it was less than 5 hours from start to finish. That scares me. Last time I was confident that I'd know when labor really started but this time I'm not. I wonder how I'll feel or if I'll know. And I wonder how fast it will progress. I mean, when the contractions start coming every 5 minutes or so (which they frequently do), I don't want to run off to the hospital unnecessarily so I keep telling myself that if it's really labor, I'll know in a couple of hours. But if I wait a couple of hours, I may well end up with an unplanned UC or having the baby on the side of the road or in the lobby at the hospital because they're dragging their feet about getting me in a room! So yeah, I have some anxiety about that!

Oh well, I guess I just have to hang in there for a couple of more weeks. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be feeling better and I plan to call the hospital administrator and complain about the registration process because that's absolutely ludicrous. I mean, you show up in preterm labor and they're asking you whether you want your baby circ'd and whether you want the hospital photographer to take pictures. Twice now I've had to explain that if I have this baby today, the photographer is the least of my worries!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 PM   #19
myajdw
seller
seller

My Mood:

i didn't mean to generalize either that's why the "SOMETIMES". i know it's not all nurses i had several good ones, as far as that whole stay went i only had two awful ones...the triage nurse and then the nurse who was either just plain mean rude and crude or had just never had a patient on mag. she was getting po'ed everytime i had to vomit and started putting the vomit bag under my pillow so "i could get it myself"...with vomit in it mind you. and i also honestly could hardly move to get it had i been able to, and she put me in a diaper and everytime i wet myself would grudgingly change it and not clean me so i ended up with a diaper rash...lovely eh. and yes they did try a cath but i really couldn't stand it, finally the next day another very sweet nurse went and found a child size cath and used numbing cream and it worked like a charm!!! so yes i do adore some nurses it's just the others who shouldn't even be in the profession that you tend to remember in a moment of relapsed anger over a situation.