Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
VBAC after multiple c-sections anyone??

I had a crazy thought last night, wondering if my OB would allow me to try for a VBAC - I've had 3 c-sections, my first was because of a horrific 48 hr labor (last 8 with Pitocin) and my son just couldn't be pushed out after 3.5 hrs. I'm not sure I even want to ask her if this is an option, but I have been going into labor on my own with the last 2, at 38 weeks, so maybe I could be successful??? Since this is my last baby, a little part of me wants to try again.
I know obviously I'd have to be monitored closely and couldn't have pitocin (thank goodness - it's evil!!) and I can't get epidurals, so it's be natural...

Anyone VBAC'd after having multiple sections? Did your provider discourage it? Were you successful? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VBAC after multiple c-sections anyone??

I don't really know and I know this sounds odd but it could depend a lot on where you live. I live in Savannah and there is not doctor or midwife here who would do it. I think a lot of doctors will only let you try after one c/s but at the same time if it is something you really want to do, you might be able to find an open minded provider who will do a thorough assessment on you to see if you could be a candidate. Did they give a "reason" or diagnosis as to why your first wouldn't "come out"?
Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolittlebeans View Post
Did they give a "reason" or diagnosis as to why your first wouldn't "come out"?
My son was turned wrong, facing my left hip. My Ob said that there are two ways babies descend wrong (and they can tell by the position when they pull the baby out via c-section) 1. the way the baby just descended, and 2. the way your body delivers them. My son was the 2nd, and my Ob who is 100% for VBAC's said he did not believe that I'd be successful with a subsequent pregnancy and I'd end with the same result.

My only reason for even thinking about it now is that I have carried 3 full term pregnancies and the shifting that occurs just might make it possible - also my first was 1 week overdue and was a hair shy of 9lbs. My 2nd & 3rd I started labor on my own at 38 weeks and they were 7lb3oz, & 7lb8oz - big difference!

*Sigh*...even if I wanted to, the hospitals and OB's are so cautious here I am almost certin they wouldn't allow it...and I'm not about to change my OB.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

"Allow you"? You can have ANY birth you want, you just need to find a provider supportive of it. More then likely it won't be an OB either. You will probably have to hire a homebirth midwife.

VBAC after multiple c-sections of 3 or more

VBAC & Choice: Many Questions and a Few Answers by Nancy Wainer(author of the book The Silent Knife

VBAC is safe!

How to have a successful vbac

Mothering: Cesarean and VBAC articles

ICAN - VBAC
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckis View Post
*Sigh*...even if I wanted to, the hospitals and OB's are so cautious here I am almost certin they wouldn't allow it...and I'm not about to change my OB.
So you're willing to sacrifice the birth you long for to keep the OB you know...the one who cut you open? I don't understand womens loyalty to their providers. We don't owe them anything. Trust me if we leave their practice there are many women who will take our place. To most providers we are just a check. Find one who CARES and is willing to support you in your desire to birth the way you want, not discourage you.
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
Old 09-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
"Allow you"? You can have ANY birth you want, you just need to find a provider supportive of it. More then likely it won't be an OB either. You will probably have to hire a homebirth midwife.

So you're willing to sacrifice the birth you long for to keep the OB you know...the one who cut you open? I don't understand womens loyalty to their providers. We don't owe them anything. Trust me if we leave their practice there are many women who will take our place. To most providers we are just a check. Find one who CARES and is willing to support you in your desire to birth the way you want, not discourage you.

It isn't a matter of giving up anything I want - I love my doctors and without them, and my emergency c-section, both me and my son would have died - I did labor pain med free and don't think I was short-changed any for having a c-section, Trust me, I earned my mommy stripes!

I live in a very caution, malpractice-happy state and I know that most if not all hospitals wouldn't allow it....I was just curious if my OB would. Given my medical history with pregnancy & delivery it would be reckless of me to turn to a paramedical professional (lay midwives are not even legal in NY) and deliver away from a hospital.

I have done my own research, I know the risks, I was simply asking for anyone who had a positive, successful store to share. The birth that I want is one that leaves both myself and baby healthy & safe.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why would you and he died? I hear that a lot. Because you pushed for over 3hrs? I know a woman that pushed for 8hrs.

You can have your doctors do shadow care in addition to having a homebirth midwife, if you should need to transfer during pregnancy due to becoming high-risk (which vbac is not high risk) or during labor then you have someone to transfer to. Something to consider.

Having a natural birth or a vbac for that matter isn't about "earning mommy stripes". There are no medals given for it nor does it give you 'bragging rights" KWIM?

Then you hire a CNM or a CPM. DEM's can be just as competent as a CNM, maybe even more! It's prudent to carefully screen a potential provider regardless of where they work or what initials that followe thier name.

You can have a vbac that leaves both mother and baby healthy. But a healthy baby isn't the ONLY goal.

I shared all kinds of links; the one with with VBA3C or more is full of inspiring birth stories. I hope they help!

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckis View Post
It isn't a matter of giving up anything I want - I love my doctors and without them, and my emergency c-section, both me and my son would have died - I did labor pain med free and don't think I was short-changed any for having a c-section, Trust me, I earned my mommy stripes!

I live in a very caution, malpractice-happy state and I know that most if not all hospitals wouldn't allow it....I was just curious if my OB would. Given my medical history with pregnancy & delivery it would be reckless of me to turn to a paramedical professional (lay midwives are not even legal in NY) and deliver away from a hospital.

I have done my own research, I know the risks, I was simply asking for anyone who had a positive, successful store to share. The birth that I want is one that leaves both myself and baby healthy & safe.
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
Old 09-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
Why would you and he died? I hear that a lot. Because you pushed for over 3hrs? I know a woman that pushed for 8hrs.

You can have your doctors do shadow care in addition to having a homebirth midwife, if you should need to transfer during pregnancy due to becoming high-risk (which vbac is not high risk) or during labor then you have someone to transfer to. Something to consider.

Having a natural birth or a vbac for that matter isn't about "earning mommy stripes". There are no medals given for it nor does it give you 'bragging rights" KWIM?

Then you hire a CNM or a CPM. DEM's can be just as competent as a CNM, maybe even more! It's prudent to carefully screen a potential provider regardless of where they work or what initials that followe thier name.

You can have a vbac that leaves both mother and baby healthy. But a healthy baby isn't the ONLY goal.

I shared all kinds of links; the one with with VBA3C or more is full of inspiring birth stories. I hope they help!

Good luck!
Good lord, no, pushing was not fatal! My son's heart was crashing due to the stress (not just a case of not bouncing back after contractions, he flat-lined, thus the c-section) - among a few other problems, my uterus was not clamping down after delivery and I hemorrhaged, losing large amounts of blood. The pitocin injections and massage were not making it clamp down either. My last baby was rushed to the NICU because of a cord blood restriction before he was born, leading to blood loss to his vital organs, and unresponsiveness. His saving grace was the c-section since had we not gotten him out right when we did, his outcome would have been much worse. Delivering outside of a hospital is not an option for us.

I wish I had the confidence with my second to try the VBAC, but being so close to my first and horribly dissapointed that I was unable to deliver a baby as a woman's body is supposed to, I did not believe that I could do it...and if I was not able to, I didn't want a repeat of the first time. As you'll agree, if the mom doesn't think she will be successful - most likely she wont be! I opted for the schedule c-section and although I look back and wish the situation had not been the way it was, I do not regret either of my scheduled c-sections.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Becki - obviously I've never had a c/s so I can't give you a story, but there is a bunch of info on the MB for you from me I think if your doctor supported your decision to do it, and you really wanted to, and you got dh on board, I know you could do it!

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote