Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Registered Users
Drop in pumping output at 6mo...

I pump twice a day while at work (I work 3days/week) and once in the evening after my son goes to bed, and up until very recently, usually pumped between 4-6 oz. per session. For the past 2 weeks, my output has been 2-4 oz. per session, almost dropped in half. My son has started solids (slowly) but still nurses exclusively 4days/week so I'm surprised by the sudden drop. I haven't started exercising or dieting...but my postpartum period came back last month, so i am thinking that also has something to do with it.

I am taking Calcium/Mag supplements and started oatmeal daily...the herbs freak me out a little bit, just because there is so little research on the safety...

Anyone have a similar experience around this time? Is this a drop in supply, or is my body just too good at making exactly what it needs at this point? Do you think it is faulty pump gear? The only thing I haven't replaced are the plastic adapters (attaches the horns to the valves). Just hoping my supply isn't on the way out....

Thanks in advance!!!

sgt072007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: yuja
My Mood:
Re: Drop in pumping output at 6mo...

AF might have something to do with it ... But I've also noticed a drop in my pumping output. I pump three times a day, five days a week at work, and I pump every morning on one side while DS nurses on the other. I used to be able to freeze at least one 6oz bag each weekday, freeze my Friday's pumping, and use the weekend's pumping for Monday. But now it has dropped, which I'm kinda worried about because I need my freezer stash for when I won't be around the LO for three weeks.
K-Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I had this happen as well, and I added a pumping session when I got to work, pumped at 10:30 like normal, at lunch I pumped 10, off 10, pumped 10, then pumped again at 3:00. I upped my water intake and ate oatmeal every day. It worked well for me.

It could be that AF is making a return, if so, doing what I did will help. I didn't necessarily have to do it every month, but I would make sure to increase my water intake and eat more oatmeal, which helped.
Tam - CD'ing, BF'ing, sometimes BW'ing mama to DS (5/6/06) and DD (3/11/08) ; loving wife to DH
txmom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I just posted a similar question a few days ago- my dd is about 1 year old now, and I noticed a drop in my pumping output a couple of weeks ago. I work 4 days a week and pump twice each of those days. Most of the rest of the time, DD is exclusively BF, although some nights and weekends I'm on call and end up out while DH feeds a bottle of EBM. No return of AF yet for me, but from what I gather a lot of people notice a drop in production around that time due to the hormones I guess...

In the past, oatmeal has seemed to help boost my supply, so that's my plan of attack. Someone else here said that psyllium worked wonders to boost her supply too- maybe check into that a little??

Good luck, let us know what seems to do the trick!
Robyn, Happily married to Greg, Semi-crunchy, Babywearing, Finally trying to be a SAHM(!!!!) to Tiny Miss Emma Kate 9/29/08
Gretta Ruth arrived 10/26/10!!
SazBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Carolina Kel
Registered Users
My Mood:

If your LO doesn't have any issues, try adding more soy. It has natural plant estrogens that can help to boost supply. I use soy protein powder from Trader Joe's, but there are other ones out there that are also good, like Genisoy.

I usually have a scoop in the morning and a scoop at night mixed in with Instant Breakfast. You can add it to your oatmeal (which also gives it more "stick to ya" power) or juice or milk or what have you. Most powders are also fortified with various vitamins and trace minerals. Or if the powder has the same freak factor as the herbs, tofu, soymilk and edamame are also good, too.

Another thing to try is Gatorade (the powdered stuff). Women on my other list have reported increased production after using it. The main ingredient that would seem to make a difference is the Monopotassium Phosphate.

It seems that foods rich in potassium also seem to give a bump to milk production - like onions, bananas, lima beans and others. Traditional galactogogues like blessed thistle, fenugreek, garlic and oats are good sources of potassium. You might try searching for a list of potassium-rich foods and trying some of those!
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote