Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #11
Coop Hostess
My Mood:
Re: considering pumping exclusively

Originally Posted by jessicacarol View Post

Do what is right for you, no matter what you do your child will get the best milk for him/her

Exactly, no matter how you choose to feed your baby, bf, pumped milk, formula, you have probably put a lot of thought and effort into your personal decision. You should do what you feel is best for you and your baby!

I am moving on in life, if you need to get in touch with me, please email me at
Keropisunshine23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

I EP because my twins were preemies and had latch/suck issues. It was a miserable first few months when I was constantly struggling to get them on the breast, and I had a lot of supply issues, probably because I was so stressed out. I finally said enough is enough and just switched to pumping and my supply increased dramatically. Now I pump 4 times a day and produce a good 20 oz more than my twins take, so I donate the rest. There are days I hate my pump, but most of the time this lifestyle works for me. It is nice not having to worry about leaving at the last second and how they will eat.
SAHM to my 3 girls: 11/08, 11/08 & 4/11
twolittlebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have to pump exclusively (my daughter never latched correctly, and is now almost 5 months old) and I still try to get her to BF everyday. I have to really turn the pump up to get milk, which causes suction bruises on my nipples... I take my pump everywhere, also pumping while hubby drives... I would have never, ever chosen this over BFing.
miabilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

I wasn't allowed to breastfeed in the hospital (long story) and by the time we got home my ds was so used to the bottle that he wouldn't latch on. He gets so frusterated that he doesn't get milk instantly like with a bottle. I want so, so badly to nurse but will continue to pump if I have to- I want him to get breastmilk one way or another. I am going to get a supplemental nursing system and give that a go, it's really my last option right now to get him to nurse, but if not, pumping is what I'll continue to do.

Pumping is not fun and I def. wouldn't voluntarily choose to feed this way. I know I'm not pumping nearly as much as I need to right now to get my supply up; with a newborn and a husband working 2 jobs for a few weeks (80+ hours) I don't have time to think let alone pump every 2 hours. But I'm doing the best I can and he's getting breastmilk. He does get formula once a day or so. It's not my ideal situation but it's working for us and he's doing great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he eventually latches on as he's only 2.5 weeks old.

Ultimately it's up to you what you decide and only you know what's best for you and your child. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

i was only able to pump for 6 mos for my dd who refused to bf, but it was SO much work. but it was worth it since it was my only other option!
Sill Army Wife and Mommy to 4, tummy mummy to 1, and mommy to 6 angels.

Our rainbow baby, James, was born 21April2011 Our survivor twin, Anya was born Dec 2012

Last edited by armywife08; 09-23-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: read post wrong
armywife08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

If you are able to breastfeed I would stick with it. DS and I were less then graceful at 8 weeks too!

There is a lot of positive advice of people that were succesfully able to EP. I wouldn't be able to do it. When DS was born I had a MASSIVE oversupply. Now at 5 months I can only pump 5oz in 8 hours at work. It's not that the milk isn't there, it just won't come out. I used to be able to pump at work but i have all but stopped responding to the pump I would hate for that to happen to an EPer. plus, pumping sucks. a lot. cuddling you baby no matter how awkward will beat out cuddling plastic any day! hang in there, it does get easier! I can literally nurse in my sleep now!
I make milkshakes in my yard.
Kriket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
Carolina Kel
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by apmomof4 View Post
you will never be able to pump more than a baby doesnt work that way. you can pump after he eats, etc. etc.
Like a previous poster, I have to wave the BS flag on that one. While I do not dispute that a baby is still the ultimate boob hoover, my Ameda is pretty darn close.

At my peak production period before our crazy move in August, I was pumping 80 ounces a day, and DS was only eating 28. If I had relied solely on my son to empty me in the beginning, I don't think I would have as good of a supply now. (My supply is down to 60 ounces now) Needless to say, we invested in a big freezer, and I was able to be a donor mom to a pair of surrogate twins until we moved. This is something that I would not have been able to do if was EBF'ing.

Self-discipline is the key to EBF'ing. BF'ing moms have cues from the baby that it's chow time, EBF'ing moms need to keep a similar schedule during the critical supply building months so they do have milk later on. The women that have had problems with supply oftentimes don't pump as often as they should during the foundation stages, which according to Sears and others, should mimic the patterns of a breastfeeding baby and should be every 3 hours with no more than 5 hours between pumping sessions.

but i woudl recommend spending some time on and dealing with your fears before offering more can be setting yourself up for nipple confusion, dropped supply, and a host of other problems.
For some people, breastfeeding just doesn't work. As good as my intentions were to BF from the beginning, mother nature had some other plans for me. DS was born a month early and had to do some time in the NICU due to RDS. I had to pump for DS while he was in the NICU, and by the time we brought him home, he had a preference for the bottle. As a first-time mom, I was worried about his intake and EP'ing worked because I was able to see how much he was eating.

After a month of EP'ing and hanging out with DS, I went to a BF support group meeting as well as an LLL meeting. I described our routine, and I was encouraged to stop pumping and get DS on the breast. As a new mama, I figured this was what I was supposed to do, so we went on a rigorous "off the bottle" campaign as suggested by the LCs which involved what seemed like a starvation program (Use a nipple shield to assist with latching, quit bottle cold turkey, only offer breast, etc.).

Our son lost a lot of weight, and we were no closer to breastfeeding. We decided to go back to what worked. In our case, the needs of DS definitely outweighed the BF'ing dogma.

Breastmilk is the best - and if the container isn't attached to me, who cares? My son is still getting the best nutrition out there and is happy and thriving.

The thing that really chaps my posterior about your comment is that with many EBF'ing women, it's all or nothing. Only the breast or formula. Breast is better than bottle, and if you're not BF'ing, it's the same as giving your child formula. There is room under the tent for all BF'ing moms - whether it's a mom that is EBF'ing, a mom that pumps occaisionally, or an EP'ing mom that chooses to not only give her child the benefit of breastmilk, but also the sacrifice of her time. The end result is the same - child on BM, only the delivery method is different. The poster should be applauded for giving her child BM, and if she chooses to EP, she should also be applauded for the gift and sacrifice of her time.

Also, your baby gets a lot of benefits from bf'ing that don't come with pumping (the whole transfer of germs through bm back to the mom from the baby, which helps the mom produce anitibodies).
This is not true. Antibodies are present in breastmilk whether it is pumped or not. The container doesn't really matter - whether it's plastic or fleshy! The real loss of antibodies comes from heating and thawing frozen EBM. While thawed EBM is not as good as milk straight from the tap, antibodies are still present, just not in as large of quantity. Only pasteurization will fully destroy the antibodies, which most parents don't do when they feed their children EBM.

And in the grand scheme of things, any breastmilk is better than formula in terms of immunodefense. I've fed my preemie son EBM for 7 months. We have yet to go to the clinic for colds, flu, earaches, etc. I'm healthy as can be, and so is DS!

i bf b/c of the health benefits, but i cant imagine bf'ing and pumping as a choice. i would do it if i had to, but it has to be the worst of both worlds (not being able to leave the pump, having to clean everything, etc.etc.).
EP'ing is hard work, there is no doubt about it. However, if you have the right equipment and have good spousal support, it's not as bad as it seems. The right pump makes a big difference as does having extra parts for it. I have enough pump parts to only have to wash the parts once a day, and when they are washed, it's DH that does it. He figures if I cook (har har), he should be doing the dishes. My pump is small enough and portable enough to take anywhere (I have an Ameda PY).

It's also nice to have spousal involvement in the feeding of DS, where if I was EBF'ing, that would not be possible. DH gives DS half of his feedings during the week, and all of them on the weekend. DS will take a bottle from anyone - gramma, auntie, friends, and other folks - which is a boon if DH and I would like some adult sanity time.

I personally think that it's a lot easier to pump that it was for me to BF - less work, less hassle, fewer socially moronic people shooing me into a corner to feed my son, and I am able to be a better mother because of it.

Breastmilk is best - let's not argue about the container it comes in.
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #18
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have a friend who has to exclusively pump and wishes she could just nurse her baby! Breastfeeding isnt going to be picture perfect for everyone. Theres been a couple times when my daughter pulled off right as I let down and squirted herself in the face or Ive shot it across the bed and its showered my hubby. Ive nursed her through colic when all she did was arch away from my breast and scream. Ive never given her a bottle and shes going to be one Oct 14. Ive just started pumping as of yesterday to have milk stored up for when my client goes into labor.
Pumpings hard work. I give MANY kudos to those mamas who work full time and pump to maintain thier supply. Its hard to fit pumpings into just nursing my babe.

I couldnt see pumping, cleaning pump, cleaning bottles, feeding baby bottles, etc vs just nursing. To hell with being ungraceful- thats just alot of work! Especially if your child has no real reason to need the milk pumped.
kelleysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote