Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Suggestions for volunteering with a toddler in tow?

As the title says, does anyone have suggestions for volunteering with a 2 year old in tow? The only thing I've come up with so far is somehow working with teenage mothers/parents. Thanks mamas.

Advertisement

Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
laugh2survive
Registered Users

Re: Suggestions for volunteering with a toddler in tow?

This is old, but I'm bumping because I've been looking a lot for something I can do with my kids!
I'm considering cooking for Habitat for Humanity. You can't take kids on the building site, but I figure they can help cook (my 18 month old loves to stir and my nearly three year old has been helping in the kitchen since he was about 18 months as well), and then be in the car while we drop off. Only problem for me is that they aren't building in our area again until Jan. I'm due in January, but not till the 25th, so we should be able to do some.
The other thing I'm looking into is local pet shelters often want someone to play with the animals or take them for walks. Of course, I want to make sure the animals will be fine with the kids, or DH and I will wear them or something.
Also, I'd love to do a shift with the bell and kettle for the Salvation Army this Christmas, but I'm having trouble figuring out how - they do it in our area, but there's not a location that serves us.
laugh2survive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Something to consider is to get involved with things your kids are doing and volunteer with that. If you child is old enough for classes or clubs, get involved as a team mom, etc. If you have a church you go to, see what you can do there. I do some things with my church and my daughters will just come along or sometimes the church provides a nursery and the kids can have fun together while the parents are working on a project, etc. It is very difficult to get involved with kids so young....you might consider swapping babysitting services with another family involved in the same volunteer program as you so you can take turns helping out.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

What about making something for people in a retirement home- craft , cookies, anything to brighten the day? Or if you are affiliated with a school, teachers often appreciate some prep work being done at home... laminating being cut out...things being assembled, etc.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used to work at a daycare in a homless shelter. We had volunteers who would come and bring their toddlers. Their kids would play with the daycare kiddos and the mamas would help us with what ever was needed while still being able to stay close to their little one.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your local food bank can be a great place where they can actually help! You can build boxes together or sort donations and your toddler can practice colours (get mummy the green can), counting (we need 3 bags of pasta), and sorting (lets put all the boxes over here). If your big food bank won't let them, often community groups and churches have smaller banks that will!
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote