Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Question PLA's, doulas and midwives

I am due with no. 2 in May of this year. I just started reading the Dr. Sears Birth Book for the first time yesterday and am enamored with the idea of a PLA (Personal Labor Assistant)/doula. Are they still called PLAs?

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had experience with a doula or PLA that they would like to share.
Also are there any fantastic resources for finding one in my area? I am going to have a hospital birth due to pre-existing medical problems but I think I would be able to have a pretty normal birth throughout.

With no. 1 I was completely intimidated and hooked up to all sorts of machines. I remember reading about all the different birthing and laboring positions and laboring tubs and being excited and fascinated by the possibilities but none of that happened. I think I ended up being "induced" in a way with the doctor breaking the membranes because there was a slight trickle of fluid. Pitocin and something else was used, EFM, epidural, the works. I would like to have more control and definitely have someone around who can help me through so my husband doesn't have to feel so much pressure.

My ob/gyn practice has a midwife that I plan on talking to next week, but I'm not sure if she can certainly be there or if her schedule rotates like the ob's.

I would love to have someone to discuss birth plans etc. with during the pregnancy so I can really get a feel for what my "birthing philosophy" is.

Excited to hear comments!

marisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: PLA's, doulas and midwives

The term Doula seems to be prefered--at least around here. I had one and would [I]highly[I] recommend it. She made several prenatal visits, helping me work through any fears, develop labor strategies and formulate my birth plan. I didn't really have a labor--it's another long story--but felt she was worth it just for the prenatal and postpartum support.
Try searching on for a doula in your area. You might also ask the midwife/OB, childbirth education instructor, or anyone else you know who is pro-natural childbirth. Best of luck!
Tara, happily at home with dd Rowan(4/04)
tazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Registered Users

I had a doula at our birth (Myles in now 9mo) and it was WONDERFUL!!! I HIGHLY recommend hiring a doula or some labor assistant! It made a huge difference in terms of "control" over what happened during labor. Our doula met with us before had, and since we live in a small community we saw eachother around town a lot and my husband and I developed a friendship with her (definatly a more baby centered frienship!) But, to my understanding most doulas are VERY open to forming a relationship with thier clients!
In the delivery room, I focused soooo much on my husband, and our doula focused on us BOTH! she reallly really helped my husband support me. There was a very very calm atmosphere in the room and i really felt I had a sense of control and "power" of what happened to me and my baby!

but other things I would recommend--- a birth class that focuses on informed childbirth and 2) writing a Birth Plan and discussing it with your OB!

If you have any specific quetions please feel free to pm me
Happily married to Dan Stay at home Mom to Myles 4.18.2006 and Garrett 6.10.08 and Jesse 1.26.2011 (our angel in heaven) and Nicole Hope 3.28.2012
ohiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #4

Peace To All Who Enter
My Mood:

I am a postpartum doula and will be training for labor. I just wanted to say good for you!
Are you ttc? Don't forget your folic acid. Ask me why.
Namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm a birth doula and soon to be a student midwife, just wanted to say having a doula is one of the best decisions you can make!! GOOD for you for wanting one!!!!!!!
~*Candice*~ Wife, Doula, Midwifery student and SAHM to 4, Expecting a new little one around Christmas!
Luv2bemommy is offline   Reply With Quote