Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 4 1/2 year old is going under anesthesia on Tuesday.

My 2.5yr old dd just had a ton of work done on her teeth, caps and all, silver colored (It holds up much better than tooth colored) on the backs of her front teeth, and tooth colored in front. We had it done in the hospital for safety reasons, w/ her dentist and his staff. Everything went great! I was so impressed! She did awesome, her teeth are great now. The procedure was suppose to last only 1hr and it was 2, so I was freaking out while she was away from me, but I brought my mother with me to distract me/hold my hand!

We did this w/ no insurance, and it ran us close to $6,000, not fun, but so worth it!
DD was disoriented and upset when she came out of the anesthesia, but we just snuggled for about 20mins and she was back to normal really quickly.

Good luck Momma! I'm sure she'll do great, and I think you're making the right choice!

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
raindrop_333
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ahh, thank you both! You've definitely helped me to feel better about this decision.

Shauna, I worry about my son's teeth because he won't let me brush his teeth without putting up a HUGE fight every.single.time. My daughter has always been great with us brushing and flossing her teeth and she has all of these cavities, what are my son's teeth going to look like? He doesn't have a gagging issue, he's just super bratty when it comes to brushing his teeth. We literally have to pin him down every time. Sometimes if he's distracted by a show he won't put up too big of a fight, but usually it's very hard to brush his teeth. I don't even try flossing because it just wouldn't happen without sedation! We let him 'brush' them himself at first, but of course he can't do a sufficient job on his own, so we take over after a few minutes. I don't know what else to do about it

Last edited by raindrop_333; 09-07-2009 at 01:51 PM.
raindrop_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop_333 View Post
Ahh, thank you both! You've definitely helped me to feel better about this decision.

Shauna, I worry about my son's teeth because he won't let me brush his teeth without putting up a HUGE fight every.single.time. My daughter has always been great with us brushing and flossing her teeth and she has all of these cavities, what are my son's teeth going to look like? He doesn't have a reflex issue, he's just super bratty when it comes to brushing his teeth. We literally have to pin him down every time. Sometimes if he's distracted by a show he won't put up too big of a fight, but usually it's very hard to brush his teeth. I don't even try flossing because it just wouldn't happen without sedation! We let him 'brush' them himself at first, but of course he can't do a sufficient job on his own, so we take over after a few minutes. I don't know what else to do about it
You know what? He'll probably end up with perfect teeth. That's always how these things go.

ETA: My son is 4 1/2 and just got to the point where he can brush them himself and it's not an issue. It helps that I let him pick out his toothbrush and toothpaste. It's going to be a while before we get the flossing thing down.

Last edited by Shaunam; 09-07-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
carsonsmommy1108
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry too much about your sons teeth, my brother and I both take great care of our teeth, but he got our moms genetics and I got our dads, he always has tons of cavaties and I didn't get my first until I was like 17 or 18.

My 10 mo old had to go under gen anesthesia about a month ago for a kidney procedure and he did great! I was super super super nervous, but it was all ok.
carsonsmommy1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I almost could've wrote this post but my ds was 2 not 4. I have bad teeth/enamel and so do both of my oldest, hoping the baby does NOT get my teeth. He had the same thing and had to have caps on the front top teeth, which you cannot even tell...his tooth had even chipped and they did a great job. He does have two silver caps on his back top molars and you can see them, but only when he is opening really wide or yelling really loud.

We actually tried to do the work in the office and she used laughing gas and we got the shot done and him numb and then he was done. We tried, but I am glad for as much work as he needed, like your dd, that we did just put him under. He had a little bit of problem waking up, but again he was just a few days past 2. Otherwise the whole thing was WAY less painful then I thought it would be.

I actually had to hold my ds2 who was about year or so down so the dentist could file and do something to one of his front teeth and that was more traumatic IMO. Someone had to hold his head and I had to hold him and his hands and he was gagging and puking and screaming the whole time it was awful and poor baby was scared of any doctor for a long time.

Good luck and you'll be in my thoughts, I cried when they took him away, but other then that it really wasn't bad.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
raindrop_333
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ladies I'm glad your children did well under anesthesia.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #17
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad I was able to help put you more at ease.

I got lucky with DS and he's a huge fan of brushing his teeth and going for checkups. It's probably because I worked for a dentist so he was used to the guy, too. With tooth brushing, I make a big deal about it. Let him pick out his own tooth brush and tooth paste, and then I would sing him songs about "sugar bugs". I told him that if he doesn't brush his teeth after meals that the sugar bugs will get into his teeth and make them sick. That really made sense to him, so he's never fought me over brushing. He's 3.5 and I still brush his teeth myself because I know that I'm able to get the job done better, but then he brushes his own teeth after I've done it the first time through.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd2 went under at almost 4 for an endoscopy, and it wasn't bad at all. I was terrified the whole time but she did really well. They had me there when they put her under (and explained what would happen, like how they kind of lop around a bit when they go under, just muscle twitching) and then got me right when she woke up, all groggy and goofy .
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
raindrop_333
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wish my son cared about picking out his tooth brush and singing a song about it He's not quite 2 and does not 'get' in depth language and stories well at all yet, kwim? That kind of thing worked for my daughter, but my son? Nope. I also still brush my 4 1/2 year old's teeth
Old 09-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethw37 View Post
my daughter is 2 and went under anesthesia a few months ago for a gastrointestinal biopsy. the doctors did very well and monitored her great, she was just very upset when she was coming out of the anesthesia. some kids come out of it fine, others freak out. its heartbreaking if they are freaking out, so just prepare yourself emotionally. but i was also 7 months pregnant and emotional lol. it doesnt last long, once i got her to go to sleep she slept it off and was fine when she woke up.
My DD goes under again thursday for a brain scan. She has been under 3 previous times and all 3 times came out of it kicking and screaming and trying to rip her IV out. This is totally normal. Don't freak out. They just get confused and don't like being out of control. It won't be so bad, worse for you watching them go through it than your LO.