Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

Tell me more about unassited homebirth

I had a horrible experience in the hospital with DS . I was admitted at 2:00 in the morning at 10:00 I was fully dilated and told baby would be here by lunchtime (his heartrate started dropping at 8:00 AM and I had to have oxygen and lay on left side) well I started pushing at 10:00 and he was finally delivered via c-section at 6:33pm ... he suffered a stroke and had 4 hemorrages on his brain as well as hydrocephalus his head was the size of a 3 month old and he got stuck in the birth canal had to be pushed back up and at 2 days old was airlifted to another hospital 3 hours away we thought he was for sure going to die .. a week later my c-section/uterus both busted back open .. it was just awful oh also his bag of waters was sealed around his neck i had been in the week before with fluid leaking they told me just to wait it out and obviously it had resealed around his neck (oh and the dr. was poking him in the head trying to break my water and cussed me out literally for not knowing my own water had broken)

now I have found a dr. that is going to monitor new baby closely to watch for any problems and if all is well me and DH are hoping to try for a VBAC at home but it will be unassisted since midwives aren't allowed to practice here (unless in a practice delivering at a hossy) we feel that if all goes well in the pregnancy we can do it since my body can obviously do it and hopefully this baby will not have those problems ... so if all is well and we both feel comfortable with it we are like i said going for a homebirth i want to know what you recommend we have on hand as well as what happens after the baby is born like what you do / didn't do ... etc.

my main thing is what did you do with the placent we want to bury it but our crazy mutt would just dig it up ...

ok if you got this far thanks and please tell me anything just nothing criticizing me for my decision b/c i am going about this the safest way I know how but I also know in the hospital they didn't get in a rush we went almost 12 hours knowing he was having problems and they still didn't deliver him and finally after he went nearly 2 minutes without a heartrate they ordered a c-section that was around 3:00 ... so they weren't rushing at all

Advertisement

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Tell me more about unassited homebirth

Oh my gosh, what an awful experience you had! Your poor ds too. Sometimes doctors should be slapped.

For our UC's we didn't have much on hand. We had a shoelace to tie the cord with dd, though with ds2 we didn't tie it at all. We had towels and a shower curtain to contain the mess. That's pretty much. A camera. . And if you're worried about any bleeding issues you'll want some shepherds purse on hand. You can also put a piece of the cord/membranes/placenta in your mouth too if you're having bleeding issues. You may want to see about getting a doppler to check the baby's heartbeat during labor. We didn't have one with dd, we did with ds, but we didn't use it during labor.
I hope that you and the new baby have a MUCH better birthing experience this time around.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How awful mama.

For all our UC's we had chux pads, towels, kiddie pool, sheperd's purse, scissors, jar w/ alcohol, cord clamps or ties, small baby hat, bulb syringe, bowl for placenta.

After baby arrived I covered them w/ a towel and a baby hat. I suctioned them a bit in mouth if necessary. We moved from pool to bed. I sat on a chux and we clamped and cut cord. I then squatted over bowl and delivered placenta. Then I moved back to bed to nurse. We weighed baby soon after, then dressed baby.

Here is our last UC, our 10th baby, 7th UC

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=820306
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

PP said enough Make placenta pills with your placenta - it's really good for you

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Ola_
Registered Users

The PPs already gave you lots of advice on going unassisted, I just wanted to add that just because midwives aren't allowed to do homebirths there, doesn't mean that they don't. You would probably need a CPM or a lay midwife (I'm guessing those working with doctors and in hospitals are likely CNMs who often are more "medical" than a CPM). They are also not very public about their practice if it is not permitted so you would need to search through people in natural birthing circles to find them, or perhaps places like the LLL, etc.

Just wanted to toss that out there for information. Either way you have my full support! I'm sure your birth will be wonderful and very healing.
Ola_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

I have found a midwife that will do it but she is close to 2 hours away and we aren't sure if we can afford it .. were still thinking about it ... but we are rather um .. poor for lack of a better word basically his dad pays all our bills and he works for his dad bringing home 100-200 weekly to buy groceries / toiletries etc. we do have medicaid and foodstamps .. and his mom and dad pay for most our stuff but they are super opposed to a homebirth so i know they wouldn't ... lol its really weird there not given us handouts he works for the money but its a farm so they only come into $$ a few times a year so we basically make due until those times of the year and this year his dad rented out the farm so we haven't gotten any of that money yet ... don't know when we will either ... super complicated ..

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote