Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
Formerly: MrsMommy0805
seller

My Mood:
Divorcing... Can't work... No income... Blah. Please help!!

Hi all... I am going through a divorce right now and he's giving me $60 a week in child support for our son. Hopefully that will go up when court time comes, but I don't know. The calculator says he should pay over $100 a week. But we'll see. I have no other income except occasional sales through my website which I'm trying to re-vamp and really get going on.

I can't work, as I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back, scoliosis in my mid-back, and 3 off-track or whatever vertibre (sp?) in my upper back/neck as well as another problem or two with my back.

Anyways, I have an appointment with SSA to get on disability on Sept. 15th but that can take months if not years. I am working with some lawyers so hopefully it will only take months.

I was babysitting for a friend and receiving $65 a week for that job. But now that's gone because the baby's mom is causing MAJOR issues for the father (my friend) and I won't be babysitting anymore. I'm looking for another babysitting job but so far no luck.

So now I'm down to $60 a week. I live in public housing so my rent is only $50 due to my income (an obvious MUST have). Plus I have Verizon (MUST have, since it's contract) which is $100 balance my Dear Husband left me, plus the $45 a month. I also have $45 a month for internet (MUST have, due to ebay and WAHM sales), $29 for mine and my daughter's life insurance, $55 for vehicle insurance (MUST have, since I can't drive without it), $16 for pre-paid legal (MUST have, as they're walking me through my divorce), I have no other bills that I must pay, although I do have medical bills, CC bills, and school loans I am SUPPOSED to be paying on. I get food stamps so that's not a problem and I get WIC.

What do I do? I've started CVSing and I will be getting some free/cheap stuff this week. I coupon like CRAZY and I don't have a problem getting things I need (shampoo, soap, etc.) but as for paying my bills I'm SCREWED.

I have $240 a month in income, with $240 a month in bills. That leaves me $0 for all my hygiene items, gas (I don't go anywhere I don't have to), DISPOSABLE diapers because for some reason DS keeps getting rashes and I HAVE to keep diaper cream on him () but that's only about $15 every other week, plus other odds and ends.

How can I make a few extra bucks to take care of some of these bills? It scares me to have so little money I won't have insurance once the divorce is finalized, either... And I have such severe back issues that it's going to SUCK not having insurance.

But, I would SO rather have these problems than stay married to my husband

I could probably work from home doing something, but I just don't know where to even begin looking.

Please help me!!

Advertisement

PatchworkPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Fawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Divorcing... Can't work... No income... Blah. Please help!!

You say Verizon is a must because of the contract.......contracts can be broken, you will just have to pay a penalty. How much will the penalty be? It may be just as much as you're paying per month anyway or it could be less. Get a TracFone or some other pay as you go phone instead.

Can you donate plasma? I know a lot of mamas do that on here and it can be a nice amount on a regular basis and you get the money right away.

Sell everything you can on ebay or on consignment.

Can you negotiate even $5-10 more a week with your hubby? Tell him things will be very tight for you and his child on $60.......you'll get more flies with honey, as they say, so I'd approach this in the sweetest way you know how

Good luck!
Fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well the contract fee would be $200. I just took the insurance off my phone so that saves me $5.99 a month.

I haven't checked into donating plasma, I just may do that!

I am selling everything I can think of on ebay and LSN. I actually took my new enV2 and put it on Ebay and put my Verizon back onto my old Alias phone. That's going to hopefully make me over $100.

I make my own laundry detergent, deodorant, and anything else I can think to make. But I'm always open to new recipes or ones I may not have heard of (tooth paste, shampoo/ conditioner, cleaners, etc.).

I just got my STBX to give me $10 more a week, he was only giving me $50 a week but I told him I have to buy sposies so I need more. I'm going to ask him to pay the $100 on my cell phone and see if he will. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot.

I'm also going to see if he'll pay the $29 a month for life insurance. I have to keep that up because I have loans out from them (I took out loans on those to help STBX get a lawyer so he can see his daughter that his ex was keeping from him) and that's his debt anyway... So we'll see.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
mandapanda79
Registered Users

My Mood:

it took me 120 days to get my disability. They calculated it from the time I stopped working, not from the time my husband stopped supporting me and I got a $20,000 settlement. I had to give a big chunk to my lawyer but, it was worth the wait and I was able to pay back loans I had tot ake out in the mean time. It sux but you can do it momma. Obviously if ur gonna let ur cc bills and other bills go for a while I'd drop the Verizon contract...prob won't do any more damage to your credit than what you are already doing. As far as insurance goes they also calculate medicare from the day you became disabled and 24 months after that you qualify for the medical insurance. I became disabled about a year and a half b4 i applied so by the time i got approved i only had to wait 6 months to qualify for the medical insurance. Maybe this helps if not (((hugs))).
mandapanda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
carmismom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you should qualify for medical assistance.
Be sure to call the places that you have bills with and see if you can get on any kind of program for paying, usually they are willing to work with you if you communicate with them. Alot of places do a hardship thing with medical bills where you send them you income info and they either lessen the bill or take care of it.
If you are able to get out of your cell phone contract you could get Dial up and a land line, that should cost a lot less then what you are paying now.
You can put a liner between the cloth and you son to protect it from getting diaper cream on. You can cut up an old flannel blanket, sheets . . . that would get rid of the sposies and loosen up some extra $$.
Look into ChaCha or the KGB to see if they are hiring.
Put an add on Cragislist or care.com to do babysitting. You can offer overnight care or 2nd shift care, there seems to be a huge need for that.
I am sorry you have to go through this, good luck!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

definitely look into donating plasma-they pay in cold hard cash And my local one has free child care! http://www.biolifeplasma.com/ is where I go.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
jabmmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you just put liners inside the cloth diapers so the cream doesn't ruin them? Do you do swagbucks? It's a no-brainer way to earn some GC's without having to do anything but your normal searches. You can get GC's to Amazon which you can use for food, diapers etc.
I think your husband will have to keep you insured for a certain period of time and your son will be cobered.I'd check with the attorney on that one. You should also be able to receive alimony on top of the child support.
I read in an earlier post that you can make $200 - $300/month donating plasma if there's a center in your area.
Sorry you're having to go through this!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

Wow momma - i really feel for you - you have so much on your plate! You do seem to have a handle on it though - I mean you know exactly what you have and where its going. Please hang in there!
Off topic - have you tried raw silk diaper liners to help with the rash? If not it might be worth a try and have a set that I can mail you for free. I'll pay the shipping.
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
chimichanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

your internet seems so high!!!! Can you call them and see if they can lower the plan? Mention you're not working. When I did that a year ago, they dropped our internet in half.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
PatchworkPeddler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got the cheapest internet possible. AT&T has a lot cheaper, like $10 a month, but they don't provide service in my area and I JUST got the service because my STBX cut the internet off on me without even telling me when he was doing it... I do have a land line, it comes with my internet. It's basically free because I'm low income. It helps with the minutes on my celly (I have the least amount of minutes, 450 a month plus free verizon to verizon) but my cordless phones only work 1/2 the time so I was going to go up to good samaritans and see if they have a cord phone up there.

I can suspend my verizon phone for 3 months for one $15 fee. I may do that just to give me 3 months to try and figure out how I can keep my verizon--I would go NUTS absolutely NUTS w/out a celly... I've had one on my hip for 7 yrs

I'll check out Swag Bucks ASAP. I've got a TON of paperwork plus cleaning to do today, so I'll start a list and check everything out tomorrow or later tonight if I can!

Oh, and liners.... Would I wash the flannel liners separate from the actual diapers??? I didn't really think of that. I may even have some cheap fleece I can just cut up that way I don't have to sew it at all and it will be quick and painless. I never really thought of doing liners