Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
ceslade
Registered Users
seller

Plugged Milk Duct HELP!

So I have a dreaded plugged milk duct. First time with three kids, what a bummer! What have you done to have success with fixing this? Also if by chance it gets infected has anyone managed to have it clear up without taking an antibiotic? Just because I'm married to an almost doc, doesn't mean I necessarily always want to take his scrips All the girls in my family struggle with keeping balance in their vajeejee. The last things I need is a yeast infection for me and baby.

Advertisement

ceslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
jfoley
Registered Users

Re: Plugged Milk Duct HELP!

I totally feel your pain! The one time I had a plugged duct, I thought I was going to die!

I think mine got infected, but it was over a weekend with doctors' offices closed, and I also get really bad yeast infections from antibiotics. I drank lots of water, nursed a ton on the side with the plugged duct, massaged my breast in the shower, put hot compresses on the duct and massaged, and basically stayed in bed and rested until it unclogged (about 24 hours). I never did have to visit a doctor. If you do have to visit a doctor, make sure you eat lots of yogurt with live and active cultures to help fight the yeast! Good luck!
jfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had those and been lucky enough to fix them myself. What works for me is the massage, getting DH to do it really helps as they will do it more firmly. I second the hot shower and massage the duct while in the shower.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

use a warm compress when nursing, or when you are done. I always used a warm wash rag rung out pretty well, and put it on the sore spot, and massaged the area while nursing.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Here's one of my favorite links: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html Good luck!!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
tristens1mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was getting them bi-weekly in the same breast. After the 6th time, dh worked it out. You'll hear the same thing, massage & warm compresses. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... You need lots of rest & lots of water as well. I stopped wearing underwire bra, and it would space out about 3 weeks. I stopped wearing a bra altogether & haven't had a clogged duct since. This was recurring for me & dd is 9 months old now. Been 6 weeks without a plugged duct. Hope you find what helps you!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
mmmducky
Registered Users

I suffer from overactive letdown which often leads to plugged ducts and, in turn, mastitis. Here are the the BEST tips that have worked for me:

Massage the plugged duct toward the nipple while nursing.

Nurse over your baby on hands and knees. I know it'll feel ridiculous but this has worked uber-fast for me!

Take the over-the-counter supplement Lecithin. This was recommended to me by a lactation consultant. It keeps your ducts lubricated to treat and prevent plugged ducts.

The two most effective remedies I know (should it become infected, but we'll cross fingers that it doesn't):

2-4 drops (that's drops NOT dropperfulls) of poke root extract in a small amount of water 1x/day for no more than 3 days. This is powerful stuff and works just as well as an antibiotic.

1 gram vitamin C taken with a few drops of echinacea tincture every 2 hours until symptoms disappear. This works better when you catch it really early on.

Good luck to you!
mmmducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Rainshine Designs
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had many while I was EPing. What worked for me was the Lecithin and soaking the area with warm, wet cloths. Sometimes, it I looked closely, I could even see the duct that was plugged and once it was softened with the warm water, I could clear it by squeezing (kinda like a pimple) and the milk would spray out.

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Rainshine Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Leigh179
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmducky View Post
Nurse over your baby on hands and knees. I know it'll feel ridiculous but this has worked uber-fast for me!
I just got over a plugged duct and this worked for me. Hurt like crap but it worked! The key is to have baby's chin in line with the plugged duct because there is more suction from the bottom and the milk will come out more from what ever duct baby's chin is pointed to.

Also the massaging and warm compresses especially 10-15 minutes before nursing. If it's infected (red and hot) cold compresses are better for between feedings as they help with swelling and inflammation.
Tessa, happily married to my best friend, Paul. , 'ing, BW'ing, selective/delayed vaxing, non-circ, SAH/HS'ing Mom to Jenika (5/1/01),Carolyn (5/8/07), Lydia (8/19/09), Caleb (3/30/12) & our angel baby, Harper Lynn (7/8/10/) , waiting for us in our Heavenly Father's arms.
Leigh179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The key is to have baby's chin in line with the plugged duct because there is more suction from the bottom and the milk will come out more from what ever duct baby's chin is pointed to.
agree