Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
3lilkittens
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question ECOS laundry detergent? Is it safe for cloth diapers?

Hi all, I'm new here and also new to cloth. I've just ordered a bunch of new AIO's, and cant wait for them to get here so I can start using them. Some organic cotton and some microfiber liners. My question - has anyone used this detergent to clean their diapers? I keep reading about all these different special soaps used to clean them, but I'm wondering if this is acceptable? I use this for all my clothes. Its soy based and chemical / dye free and uses lavender oil for scent. I'd like to use this, of course, but if the specialty detergents are really necessary, I'd love if someone could give advice on which is the best brand to use with a HE front loader. I should also add that my baby is 2 1/2 months old and may be prone to skin sensitivities since her dad is sensitive and she's already broken out with baby eczema on her face. Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

3lilkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
3lilkittens
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Re: ECOS laundry detergent? Is it safe for cloth diapers?

Anyone?

~ Update~ for those not familiar, here are the ingredients: 100% natural anionic coconut kernel oil-based surfactant, soap bark, chamomile, horsetail plant, lavender, rosemary, soy fabric softener, N.O.P. certified organic essential oil of lavender, purified water.

neutral ph, plant based ingredients. 1,4-dioxane, phosphate, formaldehyde and petrochemichal free.

Hope someone can help, thanks!

Last edited by 3lilkittens; 09-10-2009 at 01:51 PM.
3lilkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
geminimama61709
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ECOS laundry detergent? Is it safe for cloth diapers?

Hey there!
here's a link I found regarding good CD detergents:
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

It says that Ecos isn't recommended because it can act more like a soap than a detergent and can lead to build-up.
Hope this helps!!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used Ecos for a few months. It cleans well but then I noticed slight repelling on my PFs (water would bead up before absorbing). I started to add ~1/2 cup vinegar in the rinses and that took care of the slight repelling. Then I switched over to Planet, which seems okay for now. However, because everyone here seems to rave about Country Save, DH ordered some from Amazon. I'll probably alternate bet. Planet and CS until I use up the Planet.

I think you could use the Ecos if you put some vinegar into your rinses every so often. However, I don't really use microfiber inserts so can't speak to what it might do to those...

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
tedcgh
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use the Eccos Free & Clear- It does not have the lavendar scent and it is safe to use. I chose it b/c I could get it at my local grocery store and it received 4 out of 4 stars. I do see where other charts have said it isn't good. IDK. I use 1/4 to the line 1 in my diapers. I do use vinegar in my pre-soak. In 6 months only had to strip once and this is before I started using less detergent. My diapers are always clean and we have not had any stains. I even got stains out of diapers that I got off of FSOT with one wash.
You should also check out the detergent chart at:
http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Last edited by tedcgh; 09-10-2009 at 02:29 PM.
tedcgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
4xMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am actually switching over to either Counrty Save or Charlies Soap. I haven't decided yet.

ISO: MAMA CLOTH, SMALL WETBAG FOR MAMA CLOTH
4xMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
maeus
Registered Users
seller

Any updates on how the Ecos with lavender works out for dipes? I started using it because I was weary of washing in RnG a thousand times only to still smell poo. It was NOT cleaning. The first wash with Ecos left no pop smell. I'm still wondering if I should use something listed as a little more CD "friendly" than the ECOS. we have a very high chlorine content in our city water.
maeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
maeus
Registered Users
seller

That's "no poo smell" rather than "pop"
maeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
lhsis1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm using ECOS, but am thinking of switching, as DD has been getting rashes, though she's been 8 months rash-free up till now, so the dipes may just need to be stripped and I should start using vinegar rinses. I don't know. I get mine at Costco and it's cheap and works great in terms of no smell, but if I continue to have rash problems, I'll just use it on clothes, no dipes.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
hippiemama86
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I just bought some of the free and clear kind... found it al my local Walmart. I'm hoping it works good... I've been using the tide clear powder detergent... but some stinkies are creeping back into my dipes, and I want them gone. I'll update again after use, and let you know how it works for me.
Proud mama to 1 ds (11-9-09) Married to my best friend ever!
hippiemama86 is offline   Reply With Quote