Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
dramaqueenapril
Registered Users

Grandma Baby Shower?!? Good, Bad, Crazy!

My mother-in-law invited me to her grandma baby shower that is this weekend and has recently informed me that all the gifts will be for her house. First of all, I am at a loss as to why my mother-in-law needs anything at her house besides toys. I mean, I have a diaper bag loaded with everything the baby will need during outings and am getting a pack and play to carry for trips as well. So why does my mother-in-law need a crib and clothes and burp rags, etc? Also, why should I go to a shower and watch my mother-in-law receive things that I still don't have and am probably going to have to buy used due to our income? Anyways, my major question is, should I say something about this unusual event or am I overreacting?

Advertisement

dramaqueenapril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:
Re: Grandma Baby Shower?!? Good, Bad, Crazy!

That's the strangest thing I've ever heard... have YOU had a baby shower? Did she offer to throw you one?? If you haven't had a shower, and she hasn't offered to throw you one, I'd be TICKED. And I'd probably say, "(MIL) I don't think I'll be coming to your g-ma babyshower, and to be honest, I'm a little hurt that I haven't had one, and instead of offering to have one for me, you're doing one for yourself - I don't understand why you need all this stuff at your house anyway when I can easily bring all these things over when we visit?"

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

My FIL was thrown a grandpa shower at his work. They gave me all of the gifts that were received for the baby. I just thought it was a nice way for his c-workers to recognize this important event in his life (it was his first grandchild) and my FIL was tickled pink by it all. Now, I also was overseas at the time, so didn't have to deal with it at all, which probably helped the situation.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Pft. What the heck? I'd tell her to enjoy HER shower. You'd love to see pictures afterward.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
momsmyname
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueenapril View Post
My mother-in-law invited me to her grandma baby shower that is this weekend and has recently informed me that all the gifts will be for her house. First of all, I am at a loss as to why my mother-in-law needs anything at her house besides toys. I mean, I have a diaper bag loaded with everything the baby will need during outings and am getting a pack and play to carry for trips as well. So why does my mother-in-law need a crib and clothes and burp rags, etc? Also, why should I go to a shower and watch my mother-in-law receive things that I still don't have and am probably going to have to buy used due to our income? Anyways, my major question is, should I say something about this unusual event or am I overreacting?
Wow sounds like my MIL...not kidding either. Have you talked to your DH? What does he say? Is this your first baby? If I were you I would let her know you have plans on bringing everything she may need if the baby is coming for a visit. Tell her that its great she wants to be prepared but that your feelings are hurt because you havent had your shower yet (this isnt a way to try to get you overthere for a shower for you???).
As for buying used....after having my first and buying new, I prefer to by used because its better for my wallet, the baby out grows it way too fast, and its better to recycle. I hope this helps. I have trouble talking to my MIL because I truly believe she is not right upstairs. My Dh had to go into the hospital and she was more upset that he ask she not call him at work anymore than him being in the hospital. Sheesh I just wanted a normal MIL. Bottom line...let her know how you feel....this is YOUR baby....she had her time to raise her kids, let her let you enjoy it too!!
(Shellee), Married my Best friend (Zach) on 1/7/06, DD 1/15/07(M),:, Child-led weaning (20 months!!), Co-sleeping ,Conservative Christian mama who loves her life as a wife and SAHM!!:Missing my lil angel in heaven
momsmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

I think it'd be one thing if she planned on giving all the gifts to you, but since she plans on keeping all of them, I think that's pretty crappy! Especially if she recieves things that you still need, and she STILL keeps them!

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
dramaqueenapril
Registered Users

I have had my own baby shower so it isn't that. It's more the fact that she is acting like she will be the baby's caregiver. This grandma baby shower is the worst in a long line of creepy things that she has done to act like it is her child. I think that it's time to say something because it is only getting worse!!! I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one that thinks it is a little odd.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Uh, no way. That IS creepy. My mom would never in a million years do something like that.

My MIL though...that's a different story

Last edited by BootyGold; 09-09-2009 at 01:21 PM.
BootyGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ummm ... she needs a life.. seriously .. what a witch....
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
dramaqueenapril
Registered Users

I'm sorry if you have a MIL like mine. It isn't easy!!! I feel like I'm always grasping for control with my husband, my dog, and now my child!