Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
football_cheer_mom
Diaper Queen
seller

My Mood:
Why Don't You Vaccinate ?

I am just curious. I have never heard of this until I started visiting this board.

I have 4 children and all got their vac's. My baby is almost 5 months and she had her 2 months, but not her 4 (I missed her appt.). I just wanted to know why people don't vaccinate their kids?

I always thought that you had to. I was never taught any different.

Please help to enlighten me.

Thank you,
Nikki

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why Don't You Vaccinate ?

If you do a search on this site, you'll find tons of threads devoted to the topic. The thing is, there's not really a quick, one-sentence answer to that question. I had a lady ask me that in Waffle House the other day, and it's a really hard question to answer shortly.

Basically, I don't believe in vaxes. They are ineffective and do more harm that they do good. I am not afraid of these diseases that "might" cause damage when I know that vaxes have a much higher potential to cause damage than the disease does. I don't think they are tested properly, and the people who are doing the testing have a conflict of interest (such as owning stock in the company that makes the vaccines). My 9 month old does not need a vaccine for an STD (Hep. B) because he is not having sex and he is not sharing needles.

In Japan, where they moved all vaccinations to 2 years of age, their SIDS rate is practically non-existant.

Mothering.com forums has a great section on vaccines if you're really interested.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Missah78
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I don't for various reasons. It's hard to know at such a young age if they will have a reaction to something in the shot, some of the crap they put in vaccinations is scary, most of the diseases aren't an issue because we don't live in/visit 3rd world countries.

I'm fortunate to live in Texas one of the few states that you can elect not to vaccinate for personal reasons. They can't refuse to allow my children to go to school because of this.

When we were talking to our doc about our decision, his way of talking us into it actually talked us out of it. He said
It's the herd effect. Say you have 99 cows that have all their vaccinations. Then you get 1 more cow that never has. The new cow won't get any of the diseases because everyone around him has been vaccinated against everything.
Missah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
A'smommy
Registered Users

We did vax, but not on schedule. I was incredibly paranoid about autoimmune reactions (which can sometimes be caused by a bad reaction to a vax) because my brother has Type I diabetes and there's no family history of it. It just happened (one possible explanation is an autoimmune disorder or reaction of some type---the body turned on and destroyed its own cells). It MAY have been caused by one of his vaccinations, based on when he got the shots and when he got sick. There's no way to know without millions of dollars in research (and who's going to pay for that? It's all politics. :sigh: )

I wanted to do the shots one at a time to check for reactions, which I did for awhile, but it got to be too much going back and forth to the Dr. Fortunately for us, DD never had any bad reactions, not even fever or fussiness.

Some kids have had horrible reactions though, and their parents very often will stop vaxing and also not vax any siblings of the kid that had the bad outcome. Most reactions are rare, but no one wants to be the unlucky winner of that lottery, KWIM?

Many mamas here feel very passionately about this, and so do I---but I still hold that MOST vaxes are safe for MOST kids MOST of the time.

My
Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Go to the Parenting Talk forum and use the search forum option to find threads about vaccinations
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'smommy View Post
Many mamas here feel very passionately about this, and so do I---but I still hold that MOST vaxes are safe for MOST kids MOST of the time. My
well considering in 1996 there were almost 900 children who had a severe reaction to a particular vaccine (which one escapes me at the moment), but less than 300 children actually contracted the disease it was designed to prevent, i'll take my chances with the wild caught stuff.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
A'smommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoria View Post
well considering in 1996 there were almost 900 children who had a severe reaction to a particular vaccine (which one escapes me at the moment), but less than 300 children actually contracted the disease it was designed to prevent, i'll take my chances with the wild caught stuff.
Fair enough
Old 01-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
grace134
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoria View Post
I understand why people don't vax, but you also have to remember things like that measles outbreak a couple years ago? Every child that contracted the disease (and I think about a dozen actually died) had NOT been vaxed. So there's risks both ways.
grace134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
Bluemoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well this did it for me. after I read this I was DONE with them. Then I read about all of the other terrible things they do and that just confirmed it for DH and I.
this is from Mercola.com-
In addition to the viral and bacterial RNA or DNA that is part of the vaccines, here are the fillers:

aluminum hydroxide
aluminum phosphate
ammonium sulfate
amphotericin B
animal tissues: pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain,
dog kidney, monkey kidney,
chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg
calf (bovine) serum
betapropiolactone
fetal bovine serum
formaldehyde
formalin
gelatin
glycerol
human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue)
hydrolized gelatin
monosodium glutamate (MSG)
neomycin
neomycin sulfate
phenol red indicator
phenoxyethanol (antifreeze)
potassium diphosphate
potassium monophosphate
polymyxin B
polysorbate 20
polysorbate 80
porcine (pig) pancreatic hydrolysate of casein
residual MRC5 proteins
sorbitol
sucrose
thimerosal (mercury)
tri(n)butylphosphate,
VERO cells, a continuous line of monkey kidney cells
washed sheep red blood cells
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

I selectively delay vaxes Some, I had a reaction to and am VERY reluctant to have my child have them. Others, I feel are too "new" and I dont trust them. Anything I didnt have a reaction to, however, they got on schedule, and so far, so good. One thing that bothers me: We didnt have insurance after I quit my job, so we started taking D to the health dept. for shots. Because THEIR schedule was different than my peds, they made DD get an EXTRA shot of the polio vaccine. I then had to get ALL of her shots done at 18 monthes, b/c they were going to kick us out of the WIC program. If I had found this board a few monthes earlier, DD2 would NOT have gotten ANY shots, but I had calmed down a little.....
libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote