Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #21
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why Don't You Vaccinate ?

Among other reasons...

-vaccines aren't 100% all the time, and I happen to think that a strong immune system that isn't assulted by many vax's has a better chance of fighting off disease than one that has been

-the autoimmune diseases, severe vaccine reactions, asthma, allergies, diabetes and other things like SIDS and Autism that have been even casually linked with vaccines are way more serious in my mind. Many of those are life long diseases and conditions, where as something like chickenpox or measles is not.

-Not vaccinating for me is much more than just one choice. We also, as a family, spend alot of time learning about nutrition and the immune system and we have many many natural home remedies on hand to deal with things like whopping cough, etc. I feel like if you decide not to vax you have to be prepared for things like that.

-Vaccines do not guarantee herd immunity. Things like whopping cough are still very prevalent in our society despite a high vaccination compliance rate. I guess that goes along with the effectiveness part.

-I believe in extended breastfeeding. I think this plays a big part in a healthy immune system.

-I've seen some pretty serious vaccine reactions, including the death of one of my friends children. On the other hand, I've known kids that have had the following: whopping cough, mealses, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, just to name a few, and its been for the most part benign. I realise this is only annectodal evidence but it weighs slightly in the way I view the larger picture.

-I believe as a society we are setting ourselves up for long term illness the way we are going now. If you look at the vaccine schedule for a child now compared to 25 years ago, its quite shocking.

- I don't believe vaccines are responsible for the declines in some diseases. I feel there is more to it than that, such as good nutrition and sanitary living conditions, along with better health care.

And this is a big one...
A newborns immune system is not even functioning properly until 4 months! Vaccines make no difference before then! The liver in a newborn does not even produce bile....How are our children expected to detox from all those ingredients if they can't even detox through their liver yet?
It just blows my mind.

This video is a good place to start:

http://www.dark-truth.org/okt19-2006-2.html

Anyway, I could go on and on and on, but I won't.

Oh, and whomever posted that list of vaccine ingredients, that plays a big part in my decision too. I would never inject those things into myself now so why would I do it to my child?

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #22
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the other responses yet, but thought I'd reply.

There's not really a single answer as to why we don't vaccinate.

In short, I've read an incredible amount about the diseases the vaccines are supposed to prevent, the ingredients found in vaccines, the risks of adverse reactions, likelihood of reactions to vaccine vs complications from the disease, and made a decision from there that I would rather my children naturally contract a disease then purposefully inject something into their body that could cause complications.

Adverse reactions to vaccines are highly under-reported, the CDC estimates only 10% are reported, so nobody really knows just how many children truly do have problems with vaccines. And in a well nourished child, complications from any of the diseases are exceptionally rare and unlikely - and most of them can be treated whereas there are no treatments for harm that comes as the result of vaccines.

I trust in the immune system that every child is born with and that he/she will be able to handle whatever bugs they come in contact with and be healthier as a result. And I've learned enough to know how to treat a lot of the illnesses we are most afraid of and know that the complications most of us are afraid of simply don't happen in healthy, well nourished kids.

Add to that the fact that as kids we didn't receive half of what our kids today receive, and we're all healthy. Many of the diseases being vaccinated for we never even heard of or considered threatening until a vaccine was developed.

Anyways, these are some of the reasons why we stopped vaxing dd and ds will never ever get a vaccine. I continue to research with an open mind, but continue to choose to not vaccinate.

My research began when my oldest dd, (who is 9 and lives with my parents,) developed type 1 diabetes within weeks of her MMR shot. We decided to vax dd 2 on a delayed/selective schedule and then she had a severe reaction to her 2nd DTaP shot. Given that we know our kids seem to be genetically prone to vaccine reactions it does make the decision easier... however if it weren't for the volumes of things I've read since dd2 had her reaction, we might still consider vaxing ds on a delayed schedule.

I guess what's kind of funny about all this is that my true, in earnest research began because I had a friend who wasn't vaccinating her son and I thought it was a stupid thing to do and that her son was in danger. I set out to prove here wrong, but the more I read, the more I realized she was right.

*And I didn't make decisions based on strictly anti-vax or pro-vax sites. My decisions were based on CDC information, information from medical sites descring each disease and the course of the disease, looking at statistics and other things... it's impossible to find a source that isn't either pro or anti vax, but it comes down to making a decision of which set of risks you are most comfortable with. And when you break it down disease by disease and look at facts, you can create your own reliable information.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #23
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know, after thinking about this for a long time, I was trying to figure out a basic one sentence statement about it because if I said everything it would make a book. I did good above, but I guess my very basic point is "because they are dangerous." Currently I feel that my son is at far more risk from the VACCINE than he is from any diseases.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #24
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace134 View Post
I understand why people don't vax, but you also have to remember things like that measles outbreak a couple years ago? Every child that contracted the disease (and I think about a dozen actually died) had NOT been vaxed. So there's risks both ways.
I would like to see a link for that.

There was a measles outbreak here last year, and I remember the newspaper reporting that the majority of the people who came down with it had received the vaccine earlier in life.

For the OP, I vaxed up til DS's 6 month shots. He will not be receiving anymore. I've done lots of research on it, mainly thanks to this board, and I'm so grateful that I did. Sadly, I cannot take back what he has already received, but I can make sure not to make the same mistake twice. Vaccines are dangerous, and scary.

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #25
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I think it should be required by law for the Docs offices to also include that list of "fillers" when they get the parents signature for consent. I can GUARANTEE you more people would run the other way if they saw that.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #26
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea View Post
I think it should be required by law for the Docs offices to also include that list of "fillers" when they get the parents signature for consent. I can GUARANTEE you more people would run the other way if they saw that.
isnt it law that parent be given the VIS? it was my understanding that it was required.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #27
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, they are required to give you this little 2 page informational sheet that mostly talks about the risks of the disease, not the vaccine! It does have the stock one paragraph thing about side-effects, but it does NOT have a list of vaccine ingredients. The actual package inserts that come w/ the vaccine are long, multi-page inserts. If you want to read the full inserts, you can find them on the web (or ask your doc - they are required by law to give it to you if you ask).
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #28
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a link to the package inserts

Here's a link to all the VIS
Old 01-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #29
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I understand why people don't vax, but you also have to remember things like that measles outbreak a couple years ago? Every child that contracted the disease (and I think about a dozen actually died) had NOT been vaxed. So there's risks both ways.
I would love to see a link about this. The last several measels and mumps outbreaks have been primarily in vaxed individuals. THough I am sure that is partly because up till recently most people were vaxed. But the last outbreak near here over 80% of the people who contracted Measels had already been vaxed for it. Also Measels is rarely a killer in normal healthy children. I can't see an outbreak in america leading to even a dozen children dieing. Rember that our parents generation were not vaxed against measels mumps and rubella and they made it through just fine. My father could never understand why they vaxed children for these because he had them and said kids looked forward to catching measels because "You were only sick for about a day, but they made you stay home from school for a full week. So you got to hang around the house and be pampered and watch The lone Ranger." Not exactly the killer disease we all picture. Children do die of Measels, but only if they are imunocompromized in some ways. Healthy children who are not starving, with access to clean water and healthy foods do not die of Measels.

ETA: According to the CDC in 2004 there were only 37 cases of Measles reported in the entire population of the United States. That is over 295 million people.

Last edited by iris0110; 01-11-2007 at 04:51 PM.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #30
feb0306mommy
Registered Users

I have been reading though this post and WOW it has really opened my eyes. I dont know if either of my kids will have any more vaccinations. Thanks for asking this question!!!