Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
PinkInk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Fighting a Gestational Diabetes Diagnosis?

So since I know there's lots of natural mamas on here that won't just take what every Dr. says as gospel, I thought I'd find out if anyone has been skeptical and fought a GD diagnosis.

I failed my 1 hr GTT, and was unable to complete my 3 hr because my veins suck. My OB said that we can monitor my blood sugar for a couples weeks and see what that says. Not a problem. I went to the endocrinologist and she decided that because my HbA1c was 6 instead of the max recommended 5.9, that I had GD. I was set up with a meter, but called my OB and asked him to clarify to the other Dr. that I was being monitored, that there was not enough for a diagnosis. He agreed and called.

I tracked my blood sugar and felt I did well when I followed the diet, but they did not do a good job advising me in the first place, so there were lots of meals where my blood sugar was up by 5-10 points. Caffeine was a big issue, and I was never told to avoid it by the Dr, so I messed those meals up, but when I kept to the diet properly, my blood sugar was more than controlled, between 90-115 after a good sized meal. I went in after 6 days of tracking. Now 2 of those days I was throwing up, so when I did eat I ate toast/applesauce because I could keep it down, not on the diet. I also had my baby shower another day and didn't stick to the diet then either. All other days I was good. Based on these 6 days, they said I have GD and gave me insulin.

I don't trust this diagnosis at all. I have the insulin, but I don't want to use it, I think that I should be able to control this with diet and exercise. When I wake up my blood sugar is a little high, but not by much. They also didn't advise me on exercise at all, so I think if I step that up, and stick to the diet, I'll be fine.

My plan as of now is to delay my next appt and take the next 9 or so days to shoot for perfect blood sugar w/o insulin (which I was nearly doing as it was) and then say "hey look, you were wrong, take insulin off the menu." Is this foolish of me to be skeptical of this? Am I putting my baby in danger? All of the reading I have done points to no. I just want the chance to control this without extra medication... anyone else fight their Dr. on this?

Advertisement

Birth Boot Camp Certified Childbirth Educator training couples in natural childbirth.

I blog at In Pink Ink

Last edited by PinkInk; 09-11-2009 at 01:01 PM.
PinkInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #2
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fighting a Gestational Diabetes Diagnosis?

I am in my third gestational diabetes pregnancy. You clearly have it if you are experiencing high glucose readings not following the diet. It is ridiculous that you are being put on insulin based on what you are describing. My diabetes counselors will do insulin if you show repeated failure to follow the diet which given the number of lapses you report, may be what they are doing. I would totally fight the insulin situation. I would track my diet like a nut (I journal) and religiously test 2 hours after every meal. I walk or exercise after my troublesome meals (breakfast with this PG, dinner with the other two). The key to decent morning fasting readings is perfecting your bedtime snack. This makes a huge difference. I aim for 15-25 carbs, not liquid, drink a bunch of water and make sure it has some protein and lots of fiber. I found the Balance Bar or Zone Bar (1/2 bar) is my magic ticket. Its not always perfect in the morning, but definitely improved. I would not use the insulin, journal and test at least a week and show them the journal.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
PinkInk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fighting a Gestational Diabetes Diagnosis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
I am in my third gestational diabetes pregnancy. You clearly have it if you are experiencing high glucose readings not following the diet. It is ridiculous that you are being put on insulin based on what you are describing. My diabetes counselors will do insulin if you show repeated failure to follow the diet which given the number of lapses you report, may be what they are doing. I would totally fight the insulin situation. I would track my diet like a nut (I journal) and religiously test 2 hours after every meal. I walk or exercise after my troublesome meals (breakfast with this PG, dinner with the other two). The key to decent morning fasting readings is perfecting your bedtime snack. This makes a huge difference. I aim for 15-25 carbs, not liquid, drink a bunch of water and make sure it has some protein and lots of fiber. I found the Balance Bar or Zone Bar (1/2 bar) is my magic ticket. Its not always perfect in the morning, but definitely improved. I would not use the insulin, journal and test at least a week and show them the journal.
Thanks... I love zone bars so I will totally try that. I'm ok with the GD diagnosis itself, I just feel very rushed in how they are treating it. I also don't eat meat (VERY limited amounts) so I was really having a rough time knowing what protien was ok, my first Dr. treated me like I was being hostile about it so I just figured I figure it out on my own. I had better guidance with my last Dr & that appt (on Wed) and already I see a big difference. I just thought 6 days of monitoring was not enough.

Birth Boot Camp Certified Childbirth Educator training couples in natural childbirth.

I blog at In Pink Ink
PinkInk is offline   Reply With Quote