Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:
TTc, last kid is 9

Hello!

We just (as in this week) actively started ttc but have been planning/preparing for it for about 2 years now. I've got pcos but ovulated last month for the first time in several years .
I had some ovulation symptoms this past week (easily excited, cervical mucous, low cervix) so we're hoping this trend continues.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: TTc, last kid is 9

Look into gluten free for pcos.
I have pcos and even I'm gluten free my cycle comes right back.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
Look into gluten free for pcos.
I have pcos and even I'm gluten free my cycle comes right back.
I had an MRT done and discovered that I was reacting to several foods, and once they were cut out I felt much better. If I stick to the least reactive grains (spelt, rye) everything seems to run smoothly down in the 'ole uterus.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
shaiunleashed
Registered Users

Sending you some baby dust and TTC luck!
We're on month 15 of TTC #3 - our older two are almost 12, and 5.
shaiunleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post
I had an MRT done and discovered that I was reacting to several foods, and once they were cut out I felt much better. If I stick to the least reactive grains (spelt, rye) everything seems to run smoothly down in the 'ole uterus.
What is an MRT? I have several food sensitive kids and I am not familiar with this.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booty hunter View Post
What is an MRT? I have several food sensitive kids and I am not familiar with this.
Mediator Release Test. It's on quackwatch and generally considered hoackey, but I tell you what, following it's results has been amazing. It's a blood test that tells you if you're having immune reactions to foods, and what level the reaction is.
I suffered for years with random severe abdominal pains that never had a cause, was told by several Dr's I was faking it. After I cut out the reactive foods- pain is gone. It's wonderful. My periods have also returned with some regularity after about 7 years of having anywhere from 4-8 cycles per year that were extremely heavy and painful.

Last edited by nothingtosee; 09-11-2016 at 09:41 PM.
nothingtosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

Hey there! I was also TTC with a large age gap. My girls will be 8.5 and 13.5 when their sister finally gets here. I'd hoped for a (slightly) smaller age gap, but it took a year for us to conceive. I have "suspected" PCOS. Essentially that means I have many markers/symptoms and a strong family history, but I refused to try hormonal birth control so the doctors didn't bother with the ultrasound to actually visualize cysts.

At any rate, I decided to try a few things on my own to manage symptoms. (I wasn't a fan of the metformin and spirolactone (sp) they gave me. Side effects are no fun.) In the end I had a lot of success with Saw Palmetto. It's powerful stuff, but it did great things for my body. Because of its anti-androgen properties, I cut back and eventually stopped taking it when we decided to TTC. It can pose some risk to male fetuses. (Though from what I understand, the risk is really only present when the baby starts to develop its external genitalia.)

For the first 3 months I was taking a smaller dose, and ended up getting pregnant but having a very early miscarriage (a chemical pregnancy, really). After that I cut it out all together, and then things really went south. My cycles became incredibly stupid. My OPKs would get dark once a month, and it would coincide with physical ovulation symptoms... But they were never glaringly positive, and it would happen pretty late in my cycle. At any rate, that continued in for a few months and we had no success.

Finally, as the one year mark approached, I got sick of suffering through the PCOS symptoms without any progress on the TTC front. I figured if it wasn't happening by the time I hit a year, then there was no point being so obsessive and careful about the whole process. I started taking the Saw Palmetto again in month 10 of TTC, I think? I immediately noticed positive changes. My "ovulation' seemed to be happening WAY earlier. By month 12 of TTC I'd kinda lost hope, though. I think k it was simply the idea that it had been an entire year. We DTD just once anywhere near my fertile period that cycle, and that was the day *after* I'd gotten my (nicely) positive OPK. I had very little hope that we'd caught anything... But as it turns out, that was the month we conceived our newest little girl. I'm now 29 weeks and things look great.

I'm sure everything will be fine for you with TTC. I just wanted to share my story in case some element could be helpful to you or anyone else TTC with PCOS. Fingers crossed that you've already caught a good egg this month, but if not, best of luck with your TTC journey!

Last edited by luvmybaby333; 09-11-2016 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Breaking up one giant super-paragraph....
luvmybaby333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's really interesting, I hadn't heard of using saw palmetto in that way!

I had a miscarriage about 5 years ago with my ex husband, and no more pregnancies since then despite not using protection (although it's been about 3 years with no activity, so no risk of anything there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
Hey there! I was also TTC with a large age gap. My girls will be 8.5 and 13.5 when their sister finally gets here. I'd hoped for a (slightly) smaller age gap, but it took a year for us to conceive. I have "suspected" PCOS. Essentially that means I have many markers/symptoms and a strong family history, but I refused to try hormonal birth control so the doctors didn't bother with the ultrasound to actually visualize cysts.

At any rate, I decided to try a few things on my own to manage symptoms. (I wasn't a fan of the metformin and spirolactone (sp) they gave me. Side effects are no fun.) In the end I had a lot of success with Saw Palmetto. It's powerful stuff, but it did great things for my body. Because of its anti-androgen properties, I cut back and eventually stopped taking it when we decided to TTC. It can pose some risk to male fetuses. (Though from what I understand, the risk is really only present when the baby starts to develop its external genitalia.)

For the first 3 months I was taking a smaller dose, and ended up getting pregnant but having a very early miscarriage (a chemical pregnancy, really). After that I cut it out all together, and then things really went south. My cycles became incredibly stupid. My OPKs would get dark once a month, and it would coincide with physical ovulation symptoms... But they were never glaringly positive, and it would happen pretty late in my cycle. At any rate, that continued in for a few months and we had no success.

Finally, as the one year mark approached, I got sick of suffering through the PCOS symptoms without any progress on the TTC front. I figured if it wasn't happening by the time I hit a year, then there was no point being so obsessive and careful about the whole process. I started taking the Saw Palmetto again in month 10 of TTC, I think? I immediately noticed positive changes. My "ovulation' seemed to be happening WAY earlier. By month 12 of TTC I'd kinda lost hope, though. I think k it was simply the idea that it had been an entire year. We DTD just once anywhere near my fertile period that cycle, and that was the day *after* I'd gotten my (nicely) positive OPK. I had very little hope that we'd caught anything... But as it turns out, that was the month we conceived our newest little girl. I'm now 29 weeks and things look great.

I'm sure everything will be fine for you with TTC. I just wanted to share my story in case some element could be helpful to you or anyone else TTC with PCOS. Fingers crossed that you've already caught a good egg this month, but if not, best of luck with your TTC journey!
Old 09-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #9
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post
Mediator Release Test. It's on quackwatch and generally considered hoackey, but I tell you what, following it's results has been amazing. It's a blood test that tells you if you're having immune reactions to foods, and what level the reaction is.
I suffered for years with random severe abdominal pains that never had a cause, was told by several Dr's I was faking it. After I cut out the reactive foods- pain is gone. It's wonderful. My periods have also returned with some regularity after about 7 years of having anywhere from 4-8 cycles per year that were extremely heavy and painful.
Very interesting, I will have to look into it more. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh man, dealing with late periods and negative tests is going to drive me insane.