Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #21
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Frugal Eating Support Thread

I'd like to join! We're a family of 5 on a very very very small budget. I try to keep our food only budet to around $200/month or $50/week. That does not include paper products, toiletries,....stuff like that. Only food.

I use the crock pot ALOT! I like one-dish meals. Super easy!

My down-falll is fast Food

YES i know how utterly bad it is for your bodies and how much a waste of $$ it is but for some reason i LOVE it and actually crave greasy burgers and french fries! So i REALLY need to get that under control! HELP!

Advertisement

redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #22
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadedangels
I'd like to join! We're a family of 5 on a very very very small budget. I try to keep our food only budet to around $200/month or $50/week. That does not include paper products, toiletries,....stuff like that. Only food.

I use the crock pot ALOT! I like one-dish meals. Super easy!

My down-falll is fast Food

YES i know how utterly bad it is for your bodies and how much a waste of $$ it is but for some reason i LOVE it and actually crave greasy burgers and french fries! So i REALLY need to get that under control! HELP!
i kwym. one thing that helps us handle the urge to eat out is to try and recreate it ourselves at home. eating a hamburger is never going to be the healthiest thing of course - but if you make it yourself it can be cheaper and you can control what's in it/cooking method.

for example, there's a restaurant here that makes what they call a bean burger (a hamburger, topped with refried beans, salsa, & some crumbled fritos) - so instead of going out to eat that we made our own at home and they were great. or i made BBQ chicken pizza (like California Pizza Kitchen's) at home the other day - even without trying real hard to make it super-cheap it was still definitely less expensive than getting a gourmet pizza out.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #23
Gwen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow - what a great thread!!

My budget for a fam of 3 is $300 a month- that inludes all cleaning, supplies, topiliettires and paper products (been busting it alot latley - just went back to work part-time and buying a bit of extra prepackaged stuff - gotta stop!)

Anyway my number one tip is DO NOT GO TO THE GROCERY STORE MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS!
I plan 12 meals and then go and do really big g-store shopping- I might pop in just for yogurt and fruit extra but that is it!

Also - I'm a member of a produce co-op - me and 11 other family's go in and buy
produce in bulk every 2 weeks from a produce distrubtor - it's great to get great produce at cost.

My DH is a big meat eater - so I think I could cut back more - but he wants meat everynight and a lot of it!!

Hope June is the month I get back on budget!! Gwen
Old 05-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #24
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmomkatie
My crockpot is a big money-saver! Also, you can go to the library and get cookbooks on cheap eats . . . even gourmet stuff and Weight Watchers' stuff.

My kiddos are little, but they LOVE to eat veggies in muffins - I use whole wheat and they get to make them with me. It's a fun event! We cut the sugar down to about a third of what the recipe calls for, and we add in savory spices like thyme, basil, rosemary, and sage. Veggies include peas (our FAVORITE!), corn, celery, carrots - they all make great muffins!

The girls also eat peas and corn frozen - right out of the freezer and onto their plate. I've also been known to put them in pudding pops - frozen (cooked) carrots, frozen corn, frozen peas - they're BEAUTIFUL pudding pops!

Katie
If i found a pea in my muffin i think i might pee myself and if i found corn in my pudding pop i might do the other-lol. Do you mean corn muffins or breakfast muffins? I might be interested in the recipe

Well, it is just the 3 of us. Dh, myself and dd.
I think eating healthier is less expensive. My mom made casseroles,spagetti(mmm, cant spell i think it's missing an h), and simple meals growing up and i think that saved money. Basically one meat, one veggie, one bread.
Almost All of these premaid meals and junk in cans and boxes nowadays are expensive and bad for us.
Just yesterday i was in the supermarket w/ dh and was looking for a cereal(couldn't find my post shredded wheat bisquits). I turned one of the boxes to the side and i swear the box was not even an inch wide. Eek!! Sticking to my plain shredded wheat.
Sorry, it is late and i guess it doesn't take much to get me on my healthy eating soap box. I am not 100% perfect but i try to be good about it. I will be watching this post cause it never hurts to save a little money.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #25
alanajo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh I am SO in.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #26
Carrie
Registered Users

It's great to have so many people joining us! So lets all share what we've done to be more frugal recently. Particularly the "reformers"!

So here is what I've done this week to get the grocery bill down:

made my own cleaner with vinegar and water when I ran out of my Fantastic (or whatever). I love it! It is isn't "soapy" like regular cleaner and so much easier.

I made 3 batches of wheat bread and I still have 2 hamburger buns and almost a whole loaf left. Everyone loves this stuff. It makes me not what to go back to storebought bread.

replaced our evening beer or wine with iced tea. It doesn't cost anything b/c I have tea in the pantry and we enjoy it more than plain water.

We did make a few quick trips to the store in the past week but we shopped sale items and only from the list. We spent under $70 which is less than half our former average.

I also order the Complete Tightwad Gazette and it should be at the library in a few days.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #27
jelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd love to join you guys!! I don't keep track of our budget, but I know I need to... I know we get take-out way too often.
Somethings I do that I know save some money are buy meat in bulk or the family packs and then divide up into freezer bags at home. I also buy my meat once a month when the grocery store has their 15% off day if you spend more than $25...
I wash my floors with water w/vinegar added (and whatever essential oil I feel like smelling)
I also feel like I do breakfast pretty good with having oatmeal, pancakes from scratch or eggs most mornings. It's getting harder because has the kids get older they seem to want cold cereal more often. I either need to stop buying it (and I really only get the non sugar ones and only on sale) or just make it a "Sunday only" kind of thing- kwim?
I would love some menu plans though!! Those of you who have a 2 week or month plan would you mind sharing?? That has been my biggest downfall over the years. Just shopping, then not using stuff. I need to train myself to shop from a menu and buy ingredients that could be used for several meals.

Anyway- I look forward to saving some $$ with you all!
jelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #28
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

GWEN,
Would you be willing to post your 12 meals that you plan before your bi-weekly grocery trip?

I can't imagine being that organized and I love to see what other people eat for meal ideas.

Another really, really inexpensive store is ALDI. It looks like they are concentrated in the Southeast and Midwest. They don't sell anything organic, but their store brand is good, especially for coffee. I ended up replacing Starbuck's with their brand of coffee. Aldi's prices are super low on all staples and produce. If there's one in your area, you might want to check it out...you'll either love it or hate it immediately...it's kind of like a mini-warehouse club b/c you bag your own and rent a shopping cart.

Does anyone listen to Clark Howard on talk radio?? He always talks about how to save money and live frugally.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #29
Gwen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alright Typical 12 meal (2 weeks of food) plan

Pizza and salad
Spaggetti w/ meat sauce and salad (for 2 meals)
Eggplant parmesean (for 2 meals)
Salad w/ some sort of meat (like smoked sausage) corn on cob
White bean chilli, salad (for 2 meals)
Ham, fresh green beans, corn on cob (for 2 meals)
Stuffed bellpeppers, salad (for 2 meals)

My husband had business lunches everyday and I have pb and j - so I do leftovers almost every other night - and we either eat at a friends or go out at least once a week - so these is all my dinners for 2 weeks.

I buy frozen pizza and add a bag of frozen veggies on top and serve with salad

Spaggheti - I use the Barrila plus pasta and use spicy turkey sausage browned and them add the Barrila Marina sauce

Eggplant parmesean - Large eggplant - slice into rounds - dip in egg and then
dip in italian breadcrumbs - bake on wire rack on cookie sheet for 20 mins.
Layer eggplant then marina sauce, then cheese (I use mozzeralla - it's cheaper) Bake for 30 mins - makes a ton!

White bean chilli - Saute 1 onion - add 2 tablespoons flour, 1 can green chillies and 1 tablespoon cumin - brown for 2 minutes - add 1 can chicken broth and 2 cans navy beans. You can add cooked chicken if you want. You can serve with cheese, salsa and sour cream if you want.

Ham, bean, corn - Ham is the precooked stuff - you can brown is skilliet with some maple syrup, I snap my green beans and microwave with a little water for 7 minutes. I husk my corn, wrap in wax paper and microwave each ear for 2 minutes (you can do more than 1 ear at a time)

Stuffed pepper - microwave peppers for 15 minutes. While they are cooking I brown the rest of my turkey sausage - then I add about 1/2 c bread crumbs to that - stuff my peppers - pour tomato paste over that and microwave another ten minutes.

We have a dinner salad almost every night.

Not much of a cook so things have to be really easy for me!

Gwen
Old 06-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #30
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

anyone have an good meatless weigh****chers meals? Meat is so freaking expensive. I swear I spend probably $50 on meat alone
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote