Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #31
newmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Frugal Eating Support Thread

There is a free version of the grocery game. It is at http://www.menusformoms.com.

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #32
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in! Right now we budget $100/week for food, and it's only DH and I!! (And DS, but he gets about 1/2 bm 1/2 formula, so it's not QUITE as expensive as it could be). We used to live off of $60/week, but our meals weren't healthy at all. So right now I'm trying to balance healthy meals without spending a fortune.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #33
CheaperByTheDozen
Registered Users

I need to join you ladies. I spent about $60 on food last month. Nothing so far this month.. no wait. DH gave me $4 for cheese and some yeast. I am hoping to do 6 weeks on $100. I feed 2 adults and 3 kids. They eat like horses.. the kids I mean. I have a large garden so that helps. I do not have to buy many frozen veggies. (peas, corn, beans, broccoli, cabbage, (I am making saurkrat this year YAY!) cauliflower, carrots, beets, tomatoes, potatoes, onoins, garlic, spinach, lots of herbs etc) Just fresh ones in the winter mostly. I make my own whole wheat breads, buns, pasta, tortillas, etc. I also like to buy food in bulk and either freeze/can or dehydrate it. Up until last month I was spending about $150 on food. But I REALLY want to cut down since I have a wonderful garden this summer. I need to use what I have. I wish I could cut down on household expenses, but dh is not real thrifty yet. Someday maybe he will get there.
CheaperByTheDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #34
twinmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Joining in because we get too lazy and order out too much! We've got 5 people here. And we're vegetarians, so at least we don't have the meat expense. I'm getting sick of our regular menus, too. Looking for variety.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:35 PM   #35
SarahLizC
Registered Users

My Mood:

So excited to read all about your ideas - hubby and I definitely need this forum! DS is only 4 mo so he only eats b/m so far. I was spending 100/week just for the 2 of us (which I always thought was too much, just didn't have the motivation to cut it til I quit my job!)

One thing I've done for us is started cooking with bags of lentils and dry beans. It's easy to vary the flavor with spices and veggies. I cut the meat to only a couple of times a week, and now our grocery bills have been cut nearly in half!! Still have work to do on the budget tho - that $$ doesn't include toiletries/cleaning supplies. Would love to hear more about cleaning with vinegar and baking soda!
SarahLizC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #36
littlemsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We only spend about $250 on groceries a month.
Kaleb,
Selah,**Shiloh @17w**,
Kendrick,
**Baby@8w 8/13**, Baby #7 5/2014
littlemsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #37
esoloj
Registered Users
seller

I'd like to jump in. One way we save on meat is that we purchase either a side of beef (one half) or a half of a half (1/4) from a farmer. They send it to the butcher and we pick it up wrapped and frozen in the cuts we specify. I'm not a big meat eater but hubby is and therefore kids usually like it. If you have a large freezer and can fork out the money ahead of time, it's a great way to go! You'll never want to go back to store bought! I think the last time we ordered (just a few months ago) it came out to be about $1.45/lb and that includes ground beef, t-bones, rib-eyes, roasts, etc. 1/4 of a cow lasts us about 8 months or so and there are 5 of us (6 next year as I am expecting #4).

Erika
esoloj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #38
lutgen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we do the side of beef too - that really really helps. I have not bought beef in over a year.

We also purchased a deep freeze which does not go through the freeze thaw cycle - orginally we purchased it so I could safely freeze my milk 6-12 months - but it is great for the frozen meat too.
lutgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #39
shell015
Banned
seller

I am sooo in. We do coupons and 2 week meal planning. Our budget has been $50 for 2 weeks for dh and myself and Step daughter every other weekend and 1 time during each week for dinner. DS is on wic and he gets his formula free. I also buy the store brand whenever possible.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #40
aklausmeier
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckers1111
Make sure you get the COMPLETE tightwad gazette...its about 4 in wide...and FILLED with great ideas...I get it from our library every few months and read it front to back...it seems like every time i read it I find something new....lol, its the same book.

I go to the library at least once a month & I have NEVER seen anything like that! Can you also see it online somewhere?