Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #41
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Frugal Eating Support Thread

I'm in!

I've gotten things cut waaaay down in the last couple of months, but am always looking for new ways to save.

I realized that I was being kind of a brand snob (stuck on those things my mom always used!), and decided to go generic wherever possible, we've barely even noticed the difference in things like: cream soups, toilet paper, cereal, cheese, etc.

I also created a monthly meal plan with a 2 week breakdown of the grocery list, so every two weeks I just print out my list and go. No surprises, and I can adjust as necessary based on the sales flyer.

Quick ways I've found to cut down at the grocery store:
Stop buying soda
Cut way down on meat
Buy generic
Only buy fruit and veggies that are in season
Stick to your list!
And always eat first, so that you're not tempted by a growling tummy!

I have some great links I'll be back to post later.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #42
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma
I'm in!

(snipped)

I realized that I was being kind of a brand snob (stuck on those things my mom always used!), and decided to go generic wherever possible, we've barely even noticed the difference in things like: cream soups, toilet paper, cereal, cheese, etc.

Quick ways I've found to cut down at the grocery store:

(snipped)

Stick to your list!
And always eat first, so that you're not tempted by a growling tummy!

Those last two are two of my biggest downfalls. My husband is actually a much better shopper than I am, as long as he has a list to go by. He gets in, gets what's on the list and gets the heck out. Me, I wander through the produce section, pondering whether to get some of this fruit or that fruit, dawdle at the deli, try really hard to bypass the bakery but I don't always make it, and so on...if I'm hungry, I'll especially take more time and spend more money.

Seems like the Dollar Stretcher has some good info on using a price book and other ways to cut down on grocery bills:

http://www.stretcher.com/index.cfm

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #43
cuties02q
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok i definitly need to join we are feeding 3 and 1/2 hate to say it but we spend $800/month including tolitries. This usually does not include eating out/ordering which we do at least once a week and costs about $40 each time. We shop mostly at Whole Foods and never look at the prices of anything but we really need to start. I'm so glad someone started this
PhotographyBlog
cuties02q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #44
scavanaugh
Registered Users

This is such a great thread! I spend about $500/month for dh and I!! Ack! And that's down from what I used to spend! I'm not sure if we're just in an expensive area (austin, tx) or what, but I feel like we eat pretty healthy, with little processed foods. Anyway, here are a few things I'm trying to do to save money and use up all the food we have instead of throwing anything away. I got some of these ideas from the book 'Miserly moms' which I HIGHLY recommend.

Save bread ends (if no one will eat them) and dry them out a few days, throw them in the cuisinart and you have breadcrumbs. Or, Save them until you have a whole loaf and make french toast out of it all and re-freeze. You can pop out a piece at a time directly from the freezer into the toaster.

Buy a box of tomatoes when they're cheap and make a big pot of spaghetti sauce and freeze in small ziploc bags laying flat.

Oops..gotta run...more later hopefully.
Sorcha
scavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:06 AM   #45
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:

I noticed that a lot of people swear by making grocery lists. Well, I take the opposite approach. I plan my menus around what we have. I buy food on sale and in bulk. I spend $300 a month for a family of 4 plus two dogs and two cats. This includes all toiletries and cleaners. The Complete Tightwad Gazette is my Bible. I HIGHLY recommend purchasing it as you will use it again and again. If you cannot afford to buy it right now check it out at the library. Best purchase I ever made.
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #46
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma
I'm in!

I also created a monthly meal plan with a 2 week breakdown of the grocery list, so every two weeks I just print out my list and go. No surprises, and I can adjust as necessary based on the sales flyer.

I have some great links I'll be back to post later.
I would love to see your links. I am also wondering how those of you stick to your meal plan. I have tried to do this and find myself not wanting the menu I planned after I have all the stuff to make it. I know sounds kind of spastic, but I have not been able to do the meal plan thing even though I know it would probably be cheaper if I did, and I wouldn't have so much stuff in my pantry.

Also some of you say you don't use meat alot. I guess I grew up in the Midwest and don't know how to cook a balanced meal w/o meat. I posted a thread to get bean recipes but haven't gotten a lot of response. What do you eat?
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #47
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.livingonadime.com/ is one of my favorites, I have more on my other pc.

Even if you don't like Dr. Laura, her website is FULL of articles dedicated to helping SAHMs, saving money, keeping on a budget, playtime with kids, etc. Look here: http://www.drlaura.com/sah/budget.html for money saving articles and links to other websites, and www.drlaura.com for all kinds of other interesting (thought-provoking, at least!) reads.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #48
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
Also some of you say you don't use meat alot. I guess I grew up in the Midwest and don't know how to cook a balanced meal w/o meat. I posted a thread to get bean recipes but haven't gotten a lot of response. What do you eat?
One way I cut down on meat cost is to use less, or a different kind.

I used to be queen of boneless skinless frozen chicken breasts. Now i buy frozen bone in thighs. Takes a little more work to get the meat off the bone to use in many of my recipes, but it's less than 1/2 the cost! Also, cutting down on the ground beef I use in chili, spaghetti, lasagna... and adding in beans or other veggies (tomatoes, peppers) instead. (More fiber, less fat *and* cheaper!)

We do breakfast for dinner quite often, too. Eggs are SUPER cheap, add some potatoes, toast and fruit, and it's a yummy, filling meal.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #49
Carrie
Registered Users

Lol I'm surprised this thread is still alive. We've been doing much better. I'm not exactly sure what our total will be for this month but it should be an all-time low for us. We've been buying in bulk and shopping at the farmer's market every week. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one whose food bill gets a little out of control!
Old 08-13-2006, 03:06 AM   #50
LannaM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

subbing... will be back when my computer's plugged in...