Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #51
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Frugal Eating Support Thread

We spend $300 a month for food. Dh and i hate going to the grocery store so i wait until my shelves are bare to go. I do make and take a list. I don't make nightly meals yet(just food for myself cause dh eats like a bird) so maybe that is why we don't spend a lot of money.
The one thing i can't get figured out is how to make frozen veggies actually taste good. Maybe if they tasted better than bland i would eat them more often.

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #52
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty_joanne
The one thing i can't get figured out is how to make frozen veggies actually taste good. Maybe if they tasted better than bland i would eat them more often.
I boil water with garlic and olive oil, and throw the veggies in when it's at a rapid boil. Return to boil, then turn it off, drain and serve. Keeps them from overcooking!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #53
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

oh I need in on this! We are vegetarian (except for dh who eats meat once or twice a week) and our food bill for five is aroun $1000/month! Yeah..you read that right I have no idea why it is so high, I just spend a TON on food. We o buy some alcohol, but not much..maybe $50/month and dh drinks the expensive beer so it's not much...a couple drink per week. We don't buy sode, we don't buy much meat..maybe $20 a month...just LOTS of veggies and grains. I do buy only organic for the most part though, and that's a big expense. We have no cleaning supplies bill because I make our cleaners, no tp bill cuz we use family cloth...I'm honestly not sure where the money goes. I'm reading wiht interest....
Old 08-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #54
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm in! We have been spending WAY too much on food. I just started something new this week...I have about 20 meals that are quick and easy to prepare. I printed a blank calander and entered these meals up to 2 times per month. Then I created a list of what each meal requires to be made including side dishes. When I went to the store, I knew exactly what I needed and the menu is on the fridge so nothing goes to waste! Hopefully we will save enough $$ to stock up on certian items when they go on sale.

Looking forward to swapping tips!
daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #55
mom2hancj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would love in on this too. I try to spend about $500 a month for a family of 5. WE only have terrible grocery stores here. I just started feeding 3 extra teenagers for lunch everyday...I need all the frugal menus I can get.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #56
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd also like to join albeit late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadedangels
My down-falll is fast Food

This is our problem as well. I don't crave it, DH does. He decides what I've taken out for dinner doesn't sound good and goes and gets it, or orders in chinese or pizza. We are spending WAY too much, especially given our current financial situation. It's like a very bad circle that we can't break out of. I give in often because I'm just too tired to argue or really don't feel like cooking anyway.

I was using the crock pot a lot, but cleaning it just keeps getting put off. It's always going to go in the next load! YIKES!

Help is great as is support! THanks!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #57
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

great thread

oh and Tightwad Gazette is a GREAT book I agree!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:28 AM   #58
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So, we all agree we need to do this...let's start posting some frugal recipes!

This is DH's favorite:

Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
1/2 C. soy sauce
1/2 C. sugar
1 1/2 T. red wine vinegar
2 t. veg. or sesame oil
1 sm. minced garlic clove
3/4 t. ground ginger

Stir ingredients together and pour into a gallon sized Ziploc bag with 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks. Let marinate for a few hours up to 24 (?) hours.
Add a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables and cook through!
Serve over rice.
YUM!!!

A lot of times I will double or triple this and throw the others in the freezer in the marinade. It makes for a very quick, easy and CHEAP dinner!
daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:11 AM   #59
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

that sounds good!

here is a REALLY cheap one... DH's dad used to make it for him

ground beef
can of tomato paste
sloppy joe seasoning
package of corn bread mix

(double, triple... recipe depending on family size, we are three and have to do a double, but that gives us plenty of leftovers too, but "one" is not enough)

make sloppy joes as directed, but do not serve on buns... when mix is done, pour into casserole, prepare cornbread mix as directed and spoon over meat, and cook to cornbread instructions
Old 08-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #60
jkelstaten
Registered Users

our monthly budget when we were in the states was $250 for 4 people and lived in one of the more expensive sections of the country. I did clip some coupons. there are some great sites to go to:

kraftfoods.com
boodle.com (has them based on your area)
bettycrocker.com

I have heard great things about the grocery game thing and they recommend that you combine the coupons with the sales to get the absolute best deals. And then you can buy in bulk.

a great web site for recipes based on what you have in your pantry is
allrecipes.com

What we do to cut down on costs now is use a lot of low-cost staples. Instead of basing your meal off the meat (which a lot of people in the U.S. do, but the rest of the world tends to focus on a carb or veggies) base your meal off of rices, breads, potatoes, dry beans (canned beans are much more expensive).
Get creative with how you combine foods. Like last night we had a supper based around potatoes. We topped potatoes with assorted veggies and sour cream flavored with herbs. It was great!

Also, check to find out if you have a "damaged" goods store in your area. It may take some searching to find. Our area had two and they were run by Amish and Mennonites. They sell foods that are just past their shelf life date (many foods this is no indicator of actual spoilage), the boxes may be damaged, labels torn on a can, etc. We could get canned veggies 6 for $1.00, chicken broth for $0.1, cereal for $1.00. Really great deals. If family members are picky about the appearance invest in some rubbermaid containers and transfer the food immediately after you buy it. Also, ours has a yearly grocery auction for non-perishables.

Also, finding a farmer to buy meat from is great!!! We used to get turkey meat 2 times a year. The ground turkey was $0.79/lb.

Good luck on saving money! Our strategies are quite a bit different here, but I've been exploring new ways to save for when we return to the states next year.