Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
dreaded mama
Registered Users

Luck on baby 2 with endometriosis?

I have a history with pretty bad endometriosis but concieved without drugs after 5 years of trying, and since the baby i haven't had any pain with AF (hooraay!!!) but i'm still woried that i might not be able to concieve again. I'm 28 so if it takes just as long it'll be cutting it close to a comfortable age for me. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had better luck after the first. Has anyone still had issues? I'm always afraid it'll come back or that it has damaged me too much after all those years. Any experiences shared would be appreciated.

Advertisement

dreaded mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

My friend C. has terrible endometriosis. She had surgery in her twenties and again in her thirties. Then I believe she and her DH needed help (Clomid maybe?) getting pregnant with her first. But her second and third were conceived naturally.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Re: Luck on baby 2 with endometriosis?

I don't have it, but I know a few people who do and they seemed to think it was actually easier to conceive 2nd, 3rd, etc. They said that having a baby once somehow helps the endo. be less intense...I don't know if that holds true for everyone, but I would think that no pain with AF is a good sign that maybe yours isn't as bad as it was before and thus would be easier to conceive this time
Old 12-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
dreaded mama
Registered Users

I hope so, thanks for the replies :-). i've been trying to think positive, and it seems like i have a good chance from what i've heard from you two and a friend of mine here at home. it was such a relief to have one baby, so just knowing i probably have a better chance at having another is glorious news.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

I haven't had experience with this but my mom has. My mom had many female health issues. She had a cyst on one of her ovaries, that basically shrivelled up the ovary, so it had to be removed. Then she had uterine fibroids and endometriosis (her periods were horrible she said). The dr even told her that her chances of conceiving with this condition and with only 1 ovary, were remote. When my dad and her first were married they had to try for 4 years before conceiving my older sister. At the time my mom was about 30. However, pregnancy changed her periods, they were no longer as painful and she was able to get pregnant very easily with the rest of us. She ended up having 4 children in 4 1/2 years.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have endometriosis but was somehow able to conceive two kids naturally. #1 was a breeze at 29, but #2 took some time, but we got there, conceiving when I was 33. Docs think his conception took so long because of either the endo getting worse or because I developed such a large cyst on my right ovary that the ovary quit releasing eggs, so I may have become less fertile.

My BFF had it so bad that she had to get "cleaned out" (don't remember the exact medical term) in hopes of getting pregnant. The endo was actually threatening to invade her bladder. Her DH also had issues, so their first was an IVF baby. 14 months after she was born, she discovered that she had just gotten pregnant naturally with #2. They had been NTNP. She was 34 at that time and was 35 at delivery. The first pregnancy and lack of AF for months and months really seemed to help her fertility.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

My sister has it pretty bad. She conceived one normally in her early 20s, but she didn't get married for another 8 years. She conceived right away, but miscarried. Then she was diagnosed with severe endometriosis. She had to undergo surgery, then 6 months of meds that mimicked menopause before she could try again. She conceived within 3 cycles and carried to term. She conceived again 8 months later and miscarried. Now she's about 14 weeks pregnant.

Her doctor said pregnancy and amenorrhea from breastfeeding is the best treatment for endometriosis. The hormones that drive the growth of the endometriosis are resting, so it keeps it at bay. Taking the pill between pregnancies also helps keep it from growing. So not waiting too long after weaning, she didn't have any trouble conceiving.

Her doctor was a little concerned about her ability to carry to term because of the severe scarring she had. It makes it harder for the baby to implant and harder for the uterus to stretch in late pregnancy, but my sis did fine.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
dreaded mama
Registered Users

thank you, this is all very helpful. I was certain i could not concieve my 1st, since i hadn't successfully concieved before, so it was a huge suprise. I was starting to try to live with the fact that i would always be just an aunt. So with this new hope i'm very confused! This helps tremendously. It definitely gives me an idea of how endometriosis can affect women in different ways and it's good to know i'm not the only one who somehow ended up with cysts AND endometriosis (Dr. told me it's extremely rare to have them both since each condition stems from opposite hormones) <--- i've heard several women say this happens to them though so i don't have complete faith in my dr. though he's a great guy. I had a laproscopy but i didn't want any more surgeries because they can either help or hinder and the hindering conception scared me more than the pain. my cycles just started evening out in the past two years right before i had my son .. probably why he's here :-) so i have no clue how to chart a cycle or when O happens etc. i feel like a tween in sex ed i think (that was like 20 years ago :-P). Thanks again so much.

Last edited by dreaded mama; 12-08-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

dreaded_mama-

I have a SIL and several friends that underwent a NaPro surgery, something relatively new and not available from all doctors (basically, it is a technique that NFP teaching docs get trained to do), to scrape out and heal and prevent the return of endometriosis. It is different than a typical endo scrape out, but I'm not sure how. Like less invasive, easier recovery, or somehting, maybe. My 1 df did this surgery and promptly conceived, after trying for 2.5 years. My SIL just had the surgery a couple weeks ago. Another friend also just had the surgery. I know several moms less personally who had the surgery and conceived right away.

You can google NaPro Technology. As I said, I don't know too much about the specifics, but many moms in my 'circle' rave about it.
momomom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

O- I just read you don't want more surgeries, so never mind!
momomom is online now   Reply With Quote