Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

TTC After Miscarriage

I had a miscarriage about 2 months ago. I was 7 weeks and the baby only measured just over 5. I was bleeding and bled for about 2.5 weeks. I stopped bleeding and I thought I was done. Then I had my HCG tested and it had barely decreased (went from about 1000 to 900 in 2.5 weeks). So, I knew I was in for more. About 2 weeks later (approximately 1 month ago), I started SERIOUSLY bleeding and passing massive clots. I thought I would have to go to the hospital, but after a few hours it just stopped. I bled lightly on and off for a few days after that and haven't bled now for over three weeks. I had an ultrasound when the super heavy bleeding started which showed that nothing was left in my uterus, and within a week my HCG was less than 5.

At first I thought I would never want to risk another pregnancy. But now that this is past me, it is all I can think about.

I started spotting a few days ago, and was super happy thinking that my period was coming. However, it has not turned into anything more than that. It is very frustrating. My doctor recommended waiting until I had my first cycle before trying again, but I have read so many stories about women trying right away and getting pregnant.

Does anyone have any stories to share with TTC after miscarriage? Did you wait or did you try right away? Was your subsequent pregnancy successful?

Thanks in advance... Waiting for my period is killing me. I usually only have a few periods a year anyways, so my impatience is really getting to me thinking that I may have to wait another month or two for a period and then another month or two to ovulate again.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: TTC After Miscarriage

I hate 2 miscarriages before my first was born.
Pregnancy is no joke. Unfortunately till we experience the reality of this all we see if the bliss.

But pregnancy can be awesome and that's what needs to stick with you.

With my first 2 m/c we were doing fertility treatments and kept trudging along. Doesn't wait. Got HCG tested and kept moving.
I didn't get pregnant right away after each. It was a few months in between to conceive again but it wasn't for lack of trying.

This time after losing Jeremiah at 31 weeks my doc said try when we were ready. We just never prevented. My doctor wasn't worried about seeing is back so soon. Baby looks healthy so far. 15 weeks tomorrow.

The struggle and heartache is real. It's hard.

Last edited by kushie tushie; 03-28-2016 at 01:49 PM.
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #3
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Amanda! I always check in on your due date page to see how everyone is progressing and I am always super happy to see you are doing well

I am feeling like I want to be pregnant again, but really, really don't want to have to go through the process! Charting and ovulation testing and stressing about when to test drives me crazy. Sadly, I think just not preventing would probably drive me even more crazy! I'm just too controlling I guess... Not having any control while going through the miscarriage was a tough lesson.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe that's what you should work on then. We all learn some lesson in our hardships.

Do you have PCOS? if so, look up gluten free for PCOS. My cycles come right back on a time able normal schedule. It's amazing.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Yes, you are right about that.

I don't have PCOS - we originally thought I did when I first started trying to conceive (I went 5 months without a period on that one), but subsequent tested proved that I didn't. However, I am certain that I have some sort of hormonal imbalance that is causing it. I'm working on that through diet - no grains, no sugar. It has helped. I majorly fell off the wagon after the miscarriage though, and am finally getting back on. Hopefully that helps. I should get a general hormone work-up though so see where I am at.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have three children ages 8, 6, and 2. Last year we got pregnant with #4, then sadly at the end of August miscarried at 12w 3d. I was devastated; I know miscarriage is common but never thought it could happen to me! I didn't think I could go through it all again, especially since I'm already high-risk. To make matters worse, a few months later, my twin brother and his wife lost their first baby at 36 weeks, stillborn.

Anyway, my periods were WAY out of wack after the miscarriage. I had a D&C since it was deemed an "incomplete miscarriage," bleeding heavily and tissue stuck in my cervix. I bled for a while, stopped, but the next two periods were very heavy with big clots. I actually became anemic but didn't realize it till later when my midwife gave me a routine blood test.

We weren't specifically trying to get pregnant right away, not only because of the heartache and all of the emotions involved, but my doctor said it was best to wait a few months. We didn't use protection, though, and I found out I was pregnant the day after Christmas. So... I guess it took 3 months.

I am currently almost 17 weeks pregnant, and it's been a long road - every day seems like an eternity when you're worried something will happen. We have told very few people our news and will not be making an announcement, since it was so hard last time. I had early spotting that looked JUST like how my miscarriage started and I panicked. Everything has been fine, though, despite being tired and nauseous, then getting sick from my kids. I am well aware that something could happen at any point, but right now I'm hoping for the best.

Good luck!
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 3.5 year old and an almost 5 month old. With my 3.5 year old we tried to get pregnant for about 9 months, got pregnant then Miscarried at 6 weeks, that miscarriage took forever to pass and o bled alot... I had one cycle and then was pregnant with DS. With my almost 5 month old we tried to get pregnant for just under 2 years I got pregnant and miscarried again at 6ish weeks, this miscarriage was very quick, almost like a regular period, and then got pregnant with DD before I even had a cycle (about 2 weeks after the miscarriage).

I was alot more emotional over the first miscarriage, but I had a hard time feeling OK about my pregnancy with the second miscarriage. I felt like I was constantly waiting for the bottom to fall out and it wasn't until a day or so after she was born that I felt the anxiety release that I had her and everything was fine.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlitacat View Post
I am currently almost 17 weeks pregnant, and it's been a long road - every day seems like an eternity when you're worried something will happen. We have told very few people our news and will not be making an announcement, since it was so hard last time. I had early spotting that looked JUST like how my miscarriage started and I panicked. Everything has been fine, though, despite being tired and nauseous, then getting sick from my kids. I am well aware that something could happen at any point, but right now I'm hoping for the best.

Good luck!
So true... I'm sure that I will be a giant worried mess if I am able to conceive again. But man, these hormones are really kicking in and I really want to be pregnant again.

I have these crazy irregular cycles, but once I ovulate, I have been able to get pregnant very easily. First cycle for all three living children and second cycle for the last pregnancy. However, I seriously feel no confidence in my ability to get pregnant again for some reason. I guess that is normal, but I wonder if in my subconscious I think that my body is too old to do it anymore (I'm 34, so no spring chicken reproductively speaking, but certainly not too old either!).

Thanks for your story and well wishes
Old 03-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraley View Post
I have a 3.5 year old and an almost 5 month old. With my 3.5 year old we tried to get pregnant for about 9 months, got pregnant then Miscarried at 6 weeks, that miscarriage took forever to pass and o bled alot... I had one cycle and then was pregnant with DS. With my almost 5 month old we tried to get pregnant for just under 2 years I got pregnant and miscarried again at 6ish weeks, this miscarriage was very quick, almost like a regular period, and then got pregnant with DD before I even had a cycle (about 2 weeks after the miscarriage).

I was alot more emotional over the first miscarriage, but I had a hard time feeling OK about my pregnancy with the second miscarriage. I felt like I was constantly waiting for the bottom to fall out and it wasn't until a day or so after she was born that I felt the anxiety release that I had her and everything was fine.
Thanks for sharing. I read your story and what you went through with your second baby when you were early in your pregnancy... crazy! I'm so happy it turned out the way it did.

I keep debating just going for it now and waiting for a normal cycle. The doctor says to wait, but that seems to just be for due dating purposes, which is no reason to wait in my book! It's nice to hear you had a successful pregnancy right away - that helps to ease some of the "I can't do it again" feelings.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had to have a d&c with my loss, the Dr said we could try again as soon as we were ready. Then the lab results showed it was a partial molar pregnancy, so we had to wait until my hcg was less then 5 for 3 months.
It was so scary being pregnant again, but for me it was also very healing.