Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: dd will not go to sleep, stay asleep, or sleep PERIOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boos_mom View Post
ive been known to nap in the car during lunch too but now i drive home everyday at lunch to nurse.

im monitor-challenged. i always think its not working LOL
i'll stand by the door, but i'm always afraid to open it and peek in because if she actually is almost asleep the last thing i want to do is bother her! dh doesn't get it why i can't just leave the monitor on and go about my business while she's in there chattering away...ummmm because she's supposed to be SLEEPING!

ETA: you should sneak in a nursing nap! lay down with the baby and try to sneak in a few winks how old is your dd?

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?

Last edited by karabeth05; 09-14-2009 at 10:20 AM.
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #12
boos_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeth05 View Post
i'll stand by the door, but i'm always afraid to open it and peek in because if she actually is almost asleep the last thing i want to do is bother her! dh doesn't get it why i can't just leave the monitor on and go about my business while she's in there chattering away...ummmm because she's supposed to be SLEEPING!

ETA: you should sneak in a nursing nap! lay down with the baby and try to sneak in a few winks how old is your dd?
she's only 4 months
i wish i could nap during lunch but between feeding boo and trying to feed myself i always seem to be late coming back. how does time fly by so quickly when im on break but seem to drag on for the rest of the day???
boos_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boos_mom View Post
she's only 4 months
i wish i could nap during lunch but between feeding boo and trying to feed myself i always seem to be late coming back. how does time fly by so quickly when im on break but seem to drag on for the rest of the day???
ok so maybe you could try eating while you're laying down to nurse and then fall asleep? i can remember 4 months...that was a very tough time for us...i think it's the 'transition' periods that are the hardest and it seems like around 4 months they go from being sleepy little newborns to these wiggly babies that want to do and see everything. and i was reading somewhere that developmentally their nervous systems are changing and they're trying to develop regular rhythmical sleep patterns so that can cause some upheaval. i guess i should look into what sorts of things are going on around 10 months...maybe that will shed a little light on our situation (and possibly shed a little light on when it might pass )

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
Connors_Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS did the same thing at that age, he just would not go to sleep but he was so tired. I ended up having to swaddle his arms cause if they were loose he would grab stuff to play with and then rock him until he fell asleep. But if I layed him down after that he would wake up, so I had to lay down with him for a little while until he got into a really deep sleep and then I could leave. Good luck!

Please excuse any typos/grammar issues, I'm probably NAK
Connors_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
sullysgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

Something about that ten month mark!! Myself and a couple friends are going through this as well. My dd usually goes down okay for the morning nap and at night, but is trying to drop the afternoon nap. She is a grumpy mess if she doesn't sleep in the afternoon, but she just refuses. It is SO SO frustrating!!

We have tried the rocking, lullabies, etc. She actually gets way worse if we are in the room, because she just wants out. If we put her down and walk out she does a bit better, but when it's a fight everyday it just gets so tiring.

I dread nap time now . No suggestions, just wanted to let you know you are not alone.
sullysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #16
boos_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
ok so maybe you could try eating while you're laying down to nurse and then fall asleep? i can remember 4 months...that was a very tough time for us...i think it's the 'transition' periods that are the hardest and it seems like around 4 months they go from being sleepy little newborns to these wiggly babies that want to do and see everything. and i was reading somewhere that developmentally their nervous systems are changing and they're trying to develop regular rhythmical sleep patterns so that can cause some upheaval. i guess i should look into what sorts of things are going on around 10 months...maybe that will shed a little light on our situation (and possibly shed a little light on when it might pass )
if only i could master sleep-eating!
my LC insists this is all due to developmental changes
i think we're starting to enter the world of teething too which doesnt help ( squared).

ive noticed that boo is a wiggle worm 24/7 lately. nursing her with anyone else in the room is suddenly the hardest trick in the world.
boos_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
ChristyHC
Registered Users
seller

My ds was always a tough napper. Things seemed better when he started sucking his thumb at 5 months but then we went through this same thing at about 10 months. I finally started not putting him down for a morning nap. Instead we would do something quiet like read a book or snuggle on the couch and watch sesame street. Then when I put him down for a nap after lunch he slept much better. I hope your dd isn't giving up her morning nap, because that is so tough, but maybe try to go without the morning nap for a couple of days or maybe every other day and see if that helps.
ChristyHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #18
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

I would try cutting out one of the naps. the thing with a schedule is that it's good for a guideline but depending on their bodies, ie if they're teething, fighting a virus, learning a new developmental skill etc, then that schedule goes out the window. at this age they would much rather play themselves out to the point of exhaustion than nurse long enough to get milk drunk and fall asleep!

if he's in a state where you KNOW he's tired (ie, whiny, clumsy, bored, rubbing eyes etc) but refuses to go for a nap, try going for a walk or getting out of the house in the car. my DS isn't good at falling asleep in the stroller since he usually just cries to be picked up when he gets tired, but he will sometimes fall asleep in the car if i play his favorite Jewel lullaby cd (seriously, the best $10 I ever spent!! by the time that cd hits #8 he's out.. magic!)

my son usually gets tired at 10:30 and 2 on the dot. when he was really little you could set a clock to his naps. now though, he might not nap until noon and won't need another nap until 4. or he'll skip the afternoon nap altogether and pass out for bed time at 6:30 and wake up at 9 for a feeding then go back to sleep. some days he gets up at 6, some days he gets up at 8. the other day we had a wonderful 4 hour nap until noon in the rocking chair! I just go with it.

of course today was one of those whiny days where he was tired but wouldn't go down, so I put him in the car seat and we drove down to get mama a coffee worked like a charm, he's sleeping right now!

ETA: I just read about your ds's arms and legs flailing about when he's trying to keep himself up. my son does the same thing. plus he pinches me or slaps my boob. keeping his arms and legs still does really help. he fights it but if i can keep him still for about 5 seconds his eyes close and he starts falling asleep.

and if it makes you feel any better, at least your son STTN! mine sleeps 4-6 hours then is up every 2 hours after that. which is an improvement from a month ago, where he was getting up every 1-2 hours all night

it will get better. and then you have another one and do it all over again

Last edited by Liddle1; 09-14-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
wow you sound so level headed and sane i figure it's a phase, teething, curiosity, milestones, or something but i guess i'm just so overwhelmed and frustrated i can't see the light at the end of the tunnel i honestly think i'm going to give up on the laying her down and self soothing thing and just keep holding her and rocking or try walking around her room. she has VERY busy hands and arms (they're always flailing, grabbing, rubbing, scratching, or something) so i'm thinking i might go back to swaddling her arms to help her settle to sleep (but unwrapping her before i lay her down)

We went through a similar phase when K was that age. She actually would scream her little head off if I left her alone in the crib though. She fought naps like crazy and after awhile, I started swaddling again. I'd stopped around 7 months but it seemed like around 10 she was just so INTERESTED in everything else that she'd refuse to sleep. If I swaddled her and just rocked her she'd cry bloody murder at me for awhile but eventually she was so tired she'd drop right off to sleep. I just had to keep her still and in my arms long enough for it to happen.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #20
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

im in your boat to mama. ds is 4months. when I try and put him in his bed at night, he wakes right back up.