Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
18 m/o still doesn't sttn

I am exhausted. My ds is still waking several times a night and I am about to meltdown.

It's not teeth, he's not hungry, he's not wet, he's not sick, he's not hot/cold etc. He just can't seem to soothe himself back to sleep. I have to get up, lay him down, and put his blanket on him. Then he will usually go back to sleep. He sleeps in his crib in our room. I do not have the option to move his crib to another room and I really don't want to. Any ideas?

BTW-He has never sttn since birth.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 18 m/o still doesn't sttn

Not to scare you, but my 2.5 year old doesn't STTN either...He is definitely starting to wake less frequently though, so I have hope!
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it's any consolation, my 15 month old isn't sttn either, and I honestly don't expect him to until he's closer to 2-3. He's still nursing, and he's teething also. He doesn't soothe himself to sleep either. He crawls all over me or DH until one of us wakes enough to either nurse him back to sleep, or hold him until he's comfortable again.

My mom sweares we all sttn at early ages, but I am really wondering about that...

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Not what you want to hear but my almost 3 y.o. didn't sleep through the night until about 2 years old. And of course my 15 month old isn't either. Still nurses 1-3x a night [I think, not sure because we bed-share and he just latches on typically.]

Typically [not always] most babies/infants/toddlers will not STTN until closer to two years old due to a higher level of brain and neuro development. Basically too much happening and firing in their system at this point.

I remember reading in one study [which I would have bookmarked it], one researcher likened it to the feeling of being in love with the butterflies in your stomach, where you couldn't eat/sleep/etc. That's how it's equated in the child.

And if I remember reading too, STTN technically is considered 5 (?) un-interrupted hours. It's also pretty significant to note that a good protion of adults don't technically STTN either. We just may not be aware that we are waking up because by adulthood hopefully our security and comfort situations are worked out.
And then on an anthropological level, as young offspring we're not typically designed to soothe ourselves back to sleep. It's a security/comfort thing.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 18mo DD doesn't STTN either. We co-sleep and she nurses 3 times a night. When we get back from our trip we are going to do an all out sleep week. I do not want to do CIO, but at this point I will do CIO in bed with her. She needs to start sleeping so I can get some sleep. I think my lack of sleep is making my morning sickness worse.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
MarinesFamily5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDaisi View Post
Not to scare you, but my 2.5 year old doesn't STTN either...He is definitely starting to wake less frequently though, so I have hope!

I swear its a boy thing!
big DS didn't STTN till he was 2.5, DD STTN at 2 months old!
little DS still doesn't STTN, and he he is still in our bed. He doesn't get the boob anymore, hasn't for almost 2 weeks but still wakes up.

I do notice he falls asleep easier if he eats something heavy for dinner, and all depends on what time (if) he got a nap that day too.

hang in there....
MarinesFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
mamidiana
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd has sttn since about 3 mo when she began self soothing. But we did CIO and no co sleeping. I just got up to bf in the night when she woke up for it. I have a good friend who is very against CIO and struggling with the same thing - baby in room in crib, no option to move to another room, and won't sttn. If CIO isn't for you, I don't know what to say except *hugs*! You gotta do what's best for you and your lo. For me with another one coming soon, I'm so glad I've been well rested (except for the teething nights!) before I start getting up in the night again. I would've literally had a breakdown otherwise. If you do get close to a breakdown though and haven't tried cio, it might be worth it for a couple days just to see if it helps.

Good luck mama!

I love my life as a mommy (to Elena 4/08 and Jenna 10/09) and a wife (to Brent 10/06)!
mamidiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS didn't sttn until he was 3. The very same night we put him in a twin bed Has sttn ever since!
TJR2119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel your pain mama! My 20 month old little guy doesn't sttn either. Even when i work the graveyard shift and it's just him and daddy he has daddy up all night! He has his own toddler bed in our room but he absolutely will not sleep in it and i tried putting him in a twin with our oldest DD for one night and that didn't work either.

Ugh
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
Elsaraw
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 20 month old has never sttn. Some nights are better than others though. I don't expect him to do it, he's still a baby! I will miss these baby days in the future.