Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:
What many pieces of clothing is a good amount for a 2 y/o?

Up to this point - my daughter's wardrobe has been excessive. And I have found (consistently) that towards the end of the season, there's stuff with tags still on or things she's only worn once (and of course, her favorites get worn a bunch ).

So, in the interest of cutting back and sort of preparing for baby 2 (who isn't even conceived yet, nor are we actively trying), I just want to see what she NEEDS vs. what I WANT to buy her.

We have already purchased the great majority of her fall/winter/spring clothes and some of her clothes that she's wearing now (Summer) should be able to be worn next summer (barring massive growth spurt). And I already have shoes ready for her for fall, winter and spring.

I buy new. I don't like buying used, b/c I feel like a lot of people (I am not saying all) do not take care of clothes the way that I do.

She's in daycare FT and she's pretty typical, as far as 2-year-old's go. She is not potty-trained.

ETA - I do laundry once a week and am not willing to do it any more than that. Our system works, in that regard.

And DD does NOT like to be dirty. At all.

Advertisement

Last edited by MW69842; 09-14-2009 at 11:05 AM.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What many pieces of clothing is a good amount for a 2 y/o?

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...=694051&page=5

See Post #50
Old 09-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

That's it? I was thinking more, like 2 pairs of pants per day, 2 shirts per day, etc... and I do laundry once a week and allowing for a little bit of extra - 20 pairs of pants and 20 shirts?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no idea the number of clothes my kids have. I know what gets worn and what doesn't though. I do buy used. I shop at thrift stores and garage sales.

I do know that the kids have a pair of dress shoes, school shoes and play shoes. They have 1 coat and at least 3 fleece jackets that double as sweat shirts.

Maybe start at 20 like you are thinking and go from there.

What I did for my husband was put the all the clothes in the closet backwards. In 3 months whatever wasn't worn was tossed.

I'm sure that won't work, but the idea is still good I think. It will give you a chance to see what she wears and doesn't.

Good luck
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I am washing all of the new clothes today and counted each piece and put them into categories (shirts or pants) and went from there. Right now, I've washed 2 full loads, which is 25 pants and 28 shirts and have about 1/2 of a big Kohl's bag to go.

In my defense, my DP's mom bought a lot of them on clearance at Wal-mart (for $1 per shirt and $2 per pant) and we bought a lot at Kohl's on clearance.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:

Granted, I wash more often than once a week, but 20 shirts or pants seems excessive. But I also have a boy. He wears the same 5 or 6 shirts all the time (those are the ones with cartoons on them). I don't have enough pants at the moment, since he's potty learning. But I think we've got about 6 pants that are decent enough for going out. I think he looks pretty darn cute most of the time, even if some of his play clothes are second-hand flowery stretch pants that most mamas wouldn't ever let their boy wear.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

we do 2-3 pair of pants, 4 max if I find a sale and 10 shirts, mixed with short sleeve and long sleeve. a few sweatshirts, and a lightweight and heavyweight jacket. Kids don't need alot of clothes. That's it for the year.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that I have about 10 rotating outfits...That way, even if there is an accident or 2, I am still only doing laundry about once per week.
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
ob_nurse_k
Registered Users
seller
seller

If the rest of the Kohl's bag still has tags on them, I'd take it back. Even if you just spend $1-$2 that adds up. Plus, is it really stuff you like or just bought because it was cheap? KWIM? 25 pants and 28 shirts is WAY more than I would "need" for my potty training, dirt loving, doesn't like to be dirty 2yo son.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob_nurse_k View Post
If the rest of the Kohl's bag still has tags on them, I'd take it back. Even if you just spend $1-$2 that adds up. Plus, is it really stuff you like or just bought because it was cheap? KWIM? 25 pants and 28 shirts is WAY more than I would "need" for my potty training, dirt loving, doesn't like to be dirty 2yo son.
My reasoning behind having that many is that she generally wears the same size for a long time. Like - she'll probably wear about 50% of her current summer clothes next summer. She can wear 5 pants from last winter.

Oh, and since basically fall/winter/spring spans over 8 months here, I figure a wardrobe this size is suitable.