Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What many pieces of clothing is a good amount for a 2 y/o?

DD is the only girl after two boys and a long time between ds2 and dd so I'm a little girly stuff crazy. I think dd has 20ish dresses, 50ish shirts and maybe 8 pairs of pants and 8 pairs of shorts. She also has wool shorties and longies. Again, I love the girly stuff and I'm going a little crazy here. I would only have to do laundry once a month if I had enough pj's for her.

Advertisement

shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
Again, I love the girly stuff and I'm going a little crazy here. I would only have to do laundry once a month if I had enough pj's for her.
Oh, yes. PJs! We need winter PJs for DD.

I told DP tonight (after counting, washing and folding up all of the stuff) that we will probably need a couple more pairs of fleece pants (a lot of pants that she has are more appropriate for COOL weather, not winter-cold) and some fleece sweatshirts (DD is REALLY into "hoodies" ) and we're done.

Oh, and jammies. She has one pair and they're lighter (she's able to wear them now since we have the a/c on a lot and she kicks off her blankets) that'd be cooler weather appropriate. I'll probably pick up a couple 3-packs of Gerber fleece jammies (with the feet) and call it good.

And we already have her winter coat.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivocal View Post
That's it? I was thinking more, like 2 pairs of pants per day, 2 shirts per day, etc... and I do laundry once a week and allowing for a little bit of extra - 20 pairs of pants and 20 shirts?
That's about what we have. DS is potty trained, but he still has accidents. I have to pack two changes of clothes for school everyday in addition to what he's already wearing.

Even on non-school days...he gets wet playing with the hose, or dumps yogurt on his shirt, etc. etc. etc. We go through a LOT of changes of clothes

I don't like to do laundry all the time either...I feel like its wasteful.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootyGold View Post
That's about what we have. DS is potty trained, but he still has accidents. I have to pack two changes of clothes for school everyday in addition to what he's already wearing.

Even on non-school days...he gets wet playing with the hose, or dumps yogurt on his shirt, etc. etc. etc. We go through a LOT of changes of clothes

I don't like to do laundry all the time either...I feel like its wasteful.
Her daycare requires the same. I just keep 4 outfits in her locker in a bag all the time.

She changes her clothes a lot too. She goes into her bedroom and pulls something out and say "I wannna wear this" and is all the while tugging what she's currently wearing off and trying to get the other shirt on.

I don't like doing laundry, either. I have bad knees (I don't have enough cartilage around either of them) and walking up/down the stairs killlllllls them.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Like you I hate to worry about doing laundry more than once a week. With 5 people in the house I usually wash an average of a load a day (5-8 loads a week) but I never know what I'll be washing and how long it will sit in the dryer or the basket before it gets back to the dresser! And I DO NOT want to think about it. So my ds has a lot too.

12-15 pants
12-15 shirts
8-10 jammies (he eats bfast in jammies so they only go 1 day)
15-20 undies (still have accidents now and then)
10-15 socks
sneakers
"dress" shoes
winter boots
rain boots
sweatshirt
fleece
raincoat
winter coat

Now- we also need to leave 2 complete changes of clothes at preschool for emergencies and I keep 1-2 changes in the car as well. So figure on 4 outfits being kind of "out of circulation" at a time.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I do one load of laundry per day to keep it from piling up. Keep in mind that regardless of how many pieces of clothing she has, you will be doing no more and no less laundry as long as you always do a full load at a time. If you have fewer pieces, they will simply get worn and washed more often. More pieces, they go longer between wearing and washing. But the total # of loads you do in a week is the same.

Now to your question: Each person in our family owns:

10 long-sleeved shirts
10 short-sleeved shirts
4 pairs jeans
4 pairs shorts (or capris, skirts, whatever you wear in warm weather)
10 pairs socks
10 pairs underwear
4 bras
2 pair pajamas
2-3 summer dress outfits (or 1 if you don't go to church or your church is casual)
2-3 winter dress outfits (again, or 1)
1 pair casual shoes
1 pair dress shoes (girls may need 2 pairs, 1 for summer and 1 for winter)
1 pair sandals
1 pair boots
1 jacket
1 heavy coat
1 swimsuit
misc. old/grungy clothes (for us, 1 pair jeans, 1 pair shoes, and 3 shirts per person)

Babies get 6-7 "outfits," whatever that may be. I've found that you do so much laundry with infants that you don't need as many pieces.

Of course, this varies a bit each year, but you get the gist of it. Kids grow so fast (even when you think they won't!) and styles change so often, and I just don't like having a lot of STUFF around. This allows them to go 2 weeks at school without wearing the same shirt twice. If I didn't stay at home and have 24-hour access to my washer, or if I wanted to make a "laundry day" once a week, we'd obviously have to have more. HTH!

Last edited by Melinda29; 09-15-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I shoot for 7-10 bottoms, 10-14 tops, 10 undies, 10-12 socks, 3-7 jammies (depending on the age), 3 hoodies, and 1 coat. Most of my kids have about that amount, except my 13 year old. He only has one pair of pants because he can't find anymore he likes.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #18
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

Parker is pretty much set for the fall. I think he has:
-2 nice button up long sleeve shirts for special occasions like dinners out, Christmas, Thanksgiving etc
- 2 pairs of nice pants - khakis and some kind of charcoaly cords. Neutral so they go with everything else
- 2 or 3 pairs of pants for going out and about - nice jeans, some brown cargo pants and something else
- a pair of overalls
- 5 or 6 nice shirts for out and about - long sleeve polos, rugby shirts etc
- 4 pairs pants for around the house - 3 pairs fleece pants/diaper covers, 1 pair trackpants.
- 2 long sleeve shirts for around the house
- 6 pairs of socks
- a rain coat
- 2 jumpers/pullovers

I still need make a couple more pairs of fleece longies and get a few more long sleeve shirts for hanging out around the house and two pairs of shoes; a pair of sneakers for outside and a nicer pair for special occasions as well as a hat for going to the park etc and we should be good to go! He wears a long sleeve shirt and wool to bed so that's easy enough.

I do Parker laundry once a week or so or when I need more shirts or fleece pants lol
Old 09-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

My girls all own around:

5 pairs of pants
8 shirts
1 pair of sneakers
1 pair of winter boots
2 pairs of mittens
2 winter hats
2 bathing suits
1 winter jacket
1 pair of snow pants
1-2 pairs of summer shoes(crocs, sandals, etc)
2 hoodies
1 fall jacket(like a zip-up fleece)
6 pairs of underwear

And the younger two have a handful of dresses and babylegs they trade back and forth(ie, the 4 year old will wear the almost 2 year olds' dresses for shirts).

I do laundry when the hamper is full. Usually every other day or every 3 days we do a clothing laundry between the 4 of us.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #20
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My kids each have:

10 pants/shorts/capris (depending on the season but 10 bottoms total)
10 shirts (long or short again based on season)
10 dresses
10 underwear (for ODD)
10 pairs socks
1 pair dress shoes
1 pair everyday shoes
1 pair sandals/boots
1 bathingsuit
1 jacket fall/spring or winter
5 sweaters/sweatshirts

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote