View Poll Results: wake the baby or let them sleep?
wake them up at their regular time 5 7.46%
let them oversleep a little bit (up to 30 minutes) 23 34.33%
let them sleep until they wake up 39 58.21%
other? 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: wake the baby or let them sleep?

We try and keep DS on a schedule for naps and wake up. If he seems like he's not getting enough sleep, we just put him to bed earlier.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
tashie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i find that lettting DD sleep past her regular nap time is a recipe for disaster for nightime. when she was a baby, letting her sleep a little bit more the am, delayed her afternoon nap, which delayed her sleep time. however all of this only mattered because i work outside the home and had to make sure that i woke DD at a certain time to nurse before i went to work.
tashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I let DS sleep as much as he needs most times. However, if he's taking an extremely long afternoon nap, I'll wake him up around 5 (making it a 2.5-3 hour nap) so that he'll go to sleep at a decent time for the night.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
Mama2Bryce
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to let him sleep forever, but found that it decreased his nighttime sleeping too much. He normally sleeps between one and two hours at my house, up to four hours at the sitter. Those long long naps at the sitter were what caused trouble, so now he's not allowed to sleep longer than two and a half hours at her house. I wish I could let him sleep as long as he wanted, but then I'd only get five hours of sleep a night....not good.
Mama2Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here's my take..I used to wake DD up and then I realized if I'd just let her sleep she'd continue to sleep through the night. I was concerned that she'd wake up at like 2 am having gone to bed at 6 pm. So if it is gonna throw off the night schedule..yes I'd wake the LO up. Otherwise nope. I'd let em sleep!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't have to wake my DD up in the morning - she always wakes up on her own between 6 and 7 AM and it never affects her naps or bedtime.

However, I have to wake her up every day from her morning nap. If I don't (and I did it this way for almost a month, so I know) she will take a long nap and then skip her afternoon nap. She will be awake from around noon to 6:30 PM which is way too long of a stretch for her. She will be cranky and whiny and not exactly an easy baby for the afternoon. When I wake her up after an hour and a half morning nap (at most) she will take a nice afternoon nap and go to bed easily at 7:30 PM. And best of all, she is barely cranky or whiny at all! She is so much more pleasant when she has her two good naps.

I say, just try a few different things and see what works for your baby. I don't think there is any hard rule about "never wake a sleeping baby" or "wake every baby to keep them on a schedule." Just figure out the best combo for your family.

One more thing: I found that if I go and pick up my sleeping DD to wake her up, she will cry and cry. If I go into her room and talk to her and open her shades but wait to pick her up until she stands up, then she is happy and playful. So try different ways of waking your LO up too.
JamieJLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #17
Jelliebean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I let him sleep. I figure he needs it, if he's sleeping in....I know when I sleep in, it's because it's needed...kwim?? (not that I get to sleep in, lol).

Aaaand I've officially set the record for saying "sleep in", in one post, lol.

The Purple Penguin on DS
Jelliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the mornings I let DS sleep as long as he desires. I'll occassionally wake him up from a nap if it's been overly long and dragging late in the afternoon. I like him to be asleep by 9 so as to prevent over exhaustion, but that would be hard to accomplish if I let him sleep til 5pm during his nap.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I let my kids sleep until they wake on their own unless we have something to do. I figure they are sleeping because their bodies need rest, and I know how much I hate being awakened!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #20
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

We let sleeping babies lie here, unless we HAVE to leave the house, like to pick kids up from school or something terribly important like that. My daughters did not have schedules; my son has his own schedule and does need his sleep, but I do not wake him up unless we must leave.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote