Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weaning from the Paci..

Back story: DD turned 2 in August. We were planning on weaning her off the paci before baby brother was born at the end of September... So we were in the process of weaning DD from the paci. We had her down to only at naps an night (for a number of months). She would wake up and go put her paci up in the drawer without us even asking... then her world turned up-side-down with Mommy (who had never spent more than a few hours away from her, much less a night) being put on bedrest and then going into the hospital for 2.5 weeks... then back home on bedrest and in and out of the hospital until finally I came home with baby brother (3 weeks early)...

During that time Grandma was the day-time care-taker for DD and she (who never agreed with us weaning her off the paci to begin with) allowed her slowly get back in the habit of using her paci whenever she wanted...

so now I have to figure out a new plan to get her off the paci. Baby brother just came home last Thursday, so I don't know if trying to wean her back down is a good idea right now or not... any advice????

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning from the Paci..

Weaning her now or in a few months is up to you and if you want a NB and your whiny DD right now. We weaned DS off of his at 2 years, I threw them away one night after I put him to bed, it took him a little over a hour to get to sleep and there was a good solid 2 days of whining and meltdowns but he got over it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

With as much upheaval as she's had in the last couple of months, I would wait a little while before pushing the weaning thing. And then I would try and just do it cold turkey, honestly. Yes, she will probably be really whiney and crabby for a couple of days, but it seems to generally go easier than going gradually.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
kaylamae
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for this thread, I am in the same position with my DD with a new son too. I think I am going to wait a few months. My friend had success by cutting slivers of the paci of every few days. Hope everything goes well for you.
kaylamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

My DS turned 3 a few weeks ago, and he still uses a paci for naps/bedtime. I guess I'm just not overly concerned about him needing it to sleep. I had great plans to wean him by the time he turned 2, but DH was deployed and DD was a newborn and we were living at my parents' house, so his life was definitely turned upside down, and I knew he needed it for comfort. I just haven't weaned him yet, partly because he started potty-learning in July, and I didn't want to overwhelm him. And really, it doesn't bother me that he uses it because it's only when he sleeps. He never has it during the day, and never even asks for it until it's time for bed. I know he's not going to go to college with his paci, and I guess he'll wean when he's ready. If he's still using it by the time he's 4, then I'll think about taking it away.
MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ummm...what are you supposed to do when the new baby uses a paci too? My dd will just steal his
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

dd's 10 months and uses one for naps, bedtime, & in the car and the best strategy i think i've heard so far is to cut the tip off and show them it's broken. they can't suck on it that way and i think it'll make it easier to understand why it's gone rather than it just disappeared (this is all in theory of course). maybe if the older sibling is stealing one from the baby you could get different colors and come up with a creative reason why they can't use them and they're not the same?

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
z1ggy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeth05 View Post
dd's 10 months and uses one for naps, bedtime, & in the car and the best strategy i think i've heard so far is to cut the tip off and show them it's broken. they can't suck on it that way and i think it'll make it easier to understand why it's gone rather than it just disappeared (this is all in theory of course). maybe if the older sibling is stealing one from the baby you could get different colors and come up with a creative reason why they can't use them and they're not the same?
LOL.. I think DD has about 20 pacis stashed throughout the house I have two VERY different pacis for DD and DS (and DD has never shown an interest in other kid's pacis) and she KNOWS which one is DS's and is constantly trying to give it to him...

honestly, I think I am just going to get her back down to naps and night and leave it at that for a while... I don't have an issue with nights and naps.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know all kids are different but "weaning" did not work for my 2 yo. I had to finally just toss them cold turkey. It's been 6 days and the first couple were rough but she hasn't asked for one in the last couple days. My dd was down to nap and night time only and then I brought the baby home and I thought it would be mean to take it away from her but let the baby have one. Then of course the baby decided at about 4 weeks that she prefered her thumb so no binkys for her. Last week I just lost it, I got tired of the whining and every time she had a fit (pretty often these days) she'd want it and I'd give in so she'd calm down. So, I ended up just throwing them all in the garbage and we are done with them. My mother is the opposite too, she thinks that as soon as they are 1/walking/talking they are too old for them. I even tried the cutting a hole in the tip trick and that didn't work because dd always had to have two, one in her mouth and an extra she'd rub along her cheek like it was lovey/blanky.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrobinson View Post
I know all kids are different but "weaning" did not work for my 2 yo. I had to finally just toss them cold turkey. It's been 6 days and the first couple were rough but she hasn't asked for one in the last couple days. My dd was down to nap and night time only and then I brought the baby home and I thought it would be mean to take it away from her but let the baby have one. Then of course the baby decided at about 4 weeks that she prefered her thumb so no binkys for her. Last week I just lost it, I got tired of the whining and every time she had a fit (pretty often these days) she'd want it and I'd give in so she'd calm down. So, I ended up just throwing them all in the garbage and we are done with them. My mother is the opposite too, she thinks that as soon as they are 1/walking/talking they are too old for them. I even tried the cutting a hole in the tip trick and that didn't work because dd always had to have two, one in her mouth and an extra she'd rub along her cheek like it was lovey/blanky.
This is what my daughter does LOL. She always rubs her "bobo" on her face like she is moving the hair off her face. I never thought of it that way though. Cutting the tip worked like a charm for my oldest when she turned one. I gave it to her with the cut tip and she threw it angrily cause it was "broken". I tried that with A and she will STILL suck on it. She could care less.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote