Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

PLEASE HELP!

My 3 month old son has been a fussy kid but not really a screamer until a few weeks ago....when i took him to get two vacs (prev. & polio). That afternoon he just started SCREAMING uncontrollably, and nothing would calm him-he screamed himself into exhaustion. Every day since then he has screamed for at least an hour a day. Some days he moans and cries all day, and then has one long screaming spell for an hour at night. I don't trust my ped, she's very condescending and she brushes off alot of my concerns (I know-I'm looking!!). my mom and MIL say to just let him scream, some of my mom friends reccomended switching him to soy formula (he's BF). Sometimes I think it could be digestive, but it's so hard to tell. the fact that it just came seemigly out of nowhere-it just started one afternoon and has happened every day since just confuses me so much! Has anyone else experienced this? Noone seems to hear when i say he started doing this the say he got those shots- could it be something with them or am i crazy?

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
zacks_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PLEASE HELP!

possible reflux?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

Does it happen at the same time every day? My DS went through a period like that (although not as bad as your describing) where he would cry and fuss for the longest time, but it was at the same time every day for a week or two. I think he was about your son's age as well. I'd try to nurse him and rock or walk, and DH would walk with him and sing to him when I got frustrated. It finally stopped after a while, I think about a couple of weeks.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

teething? My youngest DS just started and it's like his patience and layed back attitude went out the window along with my sanity.
Most babies (at least all of mine) have a bewitching hour at night when they scream and cry, usually just overwhelmed from the day.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

I would think that if it was reflux or anything DS would scream more frequently not just at certain times of the day. For instance does he scream when you try to feed him, or when you lay him down on his back and then stop when you pick upright? That would be signs of acid reflux. DS just got a couple of his 1 yr shots and he was the SAME way last night and today! I called his ped and she said it might be because he can't really communicate yet he just might be sore or have a fever or ache. Which it could be in your case too but I don't know. Breastmilk would be better for him than putting him on soy also. Another thought would be if it's happening at certain times EVERYDAY have you ever heard of "the witching hour"? It's a horrible name, but it's what most babies will go through starting at that age until about 6mo or so. DS did it about 5-7pm EVERY NIGHT nothing helped I just had to let him cry and keep trying different things until he calmed down! JMO! I hope you find some answers or some peace of mind!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewsmom View Post
I would think that if it was reflux or anything DS would scream more frequently not just at certain times of the day. For instance does he scream when you try to feed him, or when you lay him down on his back and then stop when you pick upright? That would be signs of acid reflux. DS just got a couple of his 1 yr shots and he was the SAME way last night and today! I called his ped and she said it might be because he can't really communicate yet he just might be sore or have a fever or ache. Which it could be in your case too but I don't know. Breastmilk would be better for him than putting him on soy also. Another thought would be if it's happening at certain times EVERYDAY have you ever heard of "the witching hour"? It's a horrible name, but it's what most babies will go through starting at that age until about 6mo or so. DS did it about 5-7pm EVERY NIGHT nothing helped I just had to let him cry and keep trying different things until he calmed down! JMO! I hope you find some answers or some peace of mind!
Yes! See it's common

I've found one thing that helps is a solid routine (ours is bath and rocking chair/bottle) and repetitive motions and noises. My DS knocks out in 10-15 minutes of me rocking him and making this "hummm hum hummm hum" noise.

Last edited by Mother Lover; 09-15-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Mother Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sage started screaming after her 2 month shots (we did all but the rotovirus).
She screamed for hours per day for 3 weeks. Then one day she stopped.

We were a 100% vaxed family, untill then. We have not given Sage any other vaxes, and she has not screamed like that again.

She has this high pitched cry when she is in pain (like for her ears) but after the vaxes it was different.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I don't know that the vaccines are the cause, but I wouldn't get anymore until I knew for sure. There are other possible causes and maybe they just happened to be at the same time, but I wouldn't push it.

Aside from finding a new pediatrician and getting a second opinion, I don't know what to suggest.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
ADVERSE REACTIONS
BODY SYSTEM AS A WHOLE
In earlier studies with the vaccine grown in primary monkey kidney cells, transient local reactions at the site of injection
were observed.3 Erythema, induration and pain occurred in 3.2%, 1% and 13%, respectively, of vaccinees within 48 hours
post-vaccination. Temperatures of 39C (102F) were reported in 38% of vaccinees. Other symptoms included irritability,
sleepiness, fussiness, and crying.
Because IPV was given in a different site but concurrently with Diphtheria and Tetanus
Toxoids and Pertussis Vaccine Adsorbed (DTP), these systemic reactions could not be attributed to a specific vaccine.
However, these systemic reactions were comparable in frequency and severity to that reported for DTP given alone without
IPV.12 Although no causal relationship has been established, deaths have occurred in temporal association after vaccination
of infants with IPV.37
https://www.vaccineshoppe.com/US_PDF...2420_11.06.pdf

I would contact the pedi, VAERS and DHHS.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

thank you! i'm so relieved that other moms have noticed the same thing! I hate just ignoring his pain and letting him scream himself hoarse when he used to be so happy!