Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
LindsLuvsSi
Registered Users
seller

Sleep help, please!!

I know there's probably a few threads with advise, but I don't have the time to search and read 5 different ones So I'm making one with our issues and hoping someone can offer ideas and advise what to do.

Let's see where to begin....
We started out co-sleeping till he was 5m. It no longer was working for us. He was a bedhog, mobile and I couldn't/wasn't getting any sleep. I became an insomniac and it was awful! It worked great until then. Then we transitioned him into his crib. But sometimes when we'd put him down in his crib he'd wake up screaming right away and wouldn't stop. Not sure why? Anyways so we'd put him asleep in his crib for naps and for bedtime but he'd end up in our bed throughout the night when he'd nurse. Which of course is affecting my sleep/rest again So I really want to help fix this part of the problem somehow.

Oh yea for the important info about DS:
DS will be 8 months old on Monday. He's about 22lbs, 29in. He has 2 bottom teeth. He's a very mobile crawler and puller upper. He's been crawling for almost 2 months as well as pulling up. He's still BF and has been on solids for almost 2 months. He BF every 3-4 hours round the clock. He eats maybe 1/2 of a stage 2 jar for breakfast, lunch and dinner, sometimes more.

He wakes up between 6:30-8:30 pending how his night went. He naps between 9:30-10 and naps till around 11-11:30 give or take what time he woke up. He naps again between 1:30-3 pending when he woke up from his first nap and naps till around 2:30-4. (sometimes more or less or course)

He has a bedtime routine....dinner, then bath, jammies/diaper, story, rock/nursed to sleep put into his crib. We've upped his bedtime to 7, is now when he falls asleep and we put him to bed. Previously it was 8ish and prior to that, due to DH's overtime hours DS would nap from about 7-9pm and then be up from 9 and not go to bed till 10:30 (shame on us, I know, but wasn't my fault, he wanted to see his daddy who he didn't see all day, I wanted him to know/see his daddy and DH wanted bonding time...so I know this probably has a play into all of this but I thought it took like a week to make a new habit or something...)

Anyways....The last few nights he's been waking up every hour but he'd stopped if we all got into bed together and went to sleep. (like I mentioned above....co-sleeping isn't working out and we want him to be in his own bed before whenever baby #2 comes along. Also, DH & I don't want to go to bed at 7ish! We want/need to spend quality time together) And some nights he wakes up around 3AM thinking it's morning and he's bright eyed and bushy tailed and will not go back down until 2 hours later, no matter what I try or do. This of course wears on me and makes me loose much needed sleep.

we've tried picking him up, rocking/walking around with him each time he wakes up crying and putting him back in his bed while patting him, but that doesn't work. He just continues to scream and stand up wanting to be picked up. It breaks my heart when he screams like that. Rocking/walking/singing/humming to him to try to get him back asleep doesn't always work. Most times after DH tries that he gives him to me to nurse him and he calms down and falls asleep.

The only way we can get him to sleep too is either rocking him, nursing him down or a stroller walk. I would love for him to be able to fall asleep on his own in his own bed, that's my ultimate goal. My first goal is to get him to sleep better/longer stretches then focus on him falling asleep in his own bed, unless somehow can work on both at once without tears!

I know he doesn't sleep enough either. He still eats every 3-4 hours too. He likes to wake up at 3 am and won't go back down for 2 hours either. He fights sleep constantly. I miss him being a newborn when sleep for all of us was tons easier for us.

Any ideas, please share! He needs to sleep more, better and I want him too too! :P *We won't be doing CIO but any other ideas that don't involve CIO are welcome *

---if you read my novel, congrats and thank you!!!!! Sorry it's so long, my fingers wouldn't stop talking!!

Advertisement

LindsLuvsSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Jaci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleep help, please!!

The problem with not reading the other threads is that though it may not seem like it, your sleep issues are the same as the other ones!

Some of the sleep help threads get a lot of attention, while others don't, so if you find you aren't getting the help you want, definitely do a search for "sleep help" (exact phrase) and read the responses to those threads.

I've actually gone back and copied what I wrote for another mama to post for you here, because while I don't ever have a lot of advice to offer (other than do what works for your family to get you the most possible sleep), I found that these links REALLY helped us out when DS was going through this. It didn't really help us get more sleep, but it certainly helped us understand, and by understanding why he was doing what he was doing, we weren't quite so anxious about it.

Just live with the thought that it will get better one day!

Quote:
My son also did this (he slept through the night from 8 weeks to 6 months). It is really common for babies to do this at 6-7 months of age. Their vision is greatly improved, they begin interacting with their environment, and they stop eating so well during the day so they must wake up during the evening to full-fill their calorie requirements.

Here are a few links. They won't necessarily tell you how to get your daughter back in her crib, but it will help understand (and in my experience) make the whole situation less frustrating.

http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2006...t_are_sle.html

http://sparkplugdance.org/informatio...stuff-happens/

I hope that helps!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

i'm sorry to say, I think my son's worst sleep period was from about 5 to 9 months. he only recently started usually sleeping for a 4 to 6 hour stretch starting at 8:30 pm and then he's up every 2 hours until 6:30. of course that varies day to day, but that is his average routine.

the only thing I can suggest is put his mattress on the floor in your room and try to nurse laying down and sneak away. that's the only thing that worked for us. also try a night light that isn't too bright, sometimes the dark freaks them out.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
LindsLuvsSi
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Jaci!! (I'm an aspiring photographer, great work )
Old 09-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
LindsLuvsSi
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Liddle. Seems like 9months is kinda a magic age that's when both DH and I slept thru the nights, so we're praying/hoping he follows suit and does better at 9 months! :P