Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you entertain your toddler? Help please!

Don't feel bad..I feel like that too many days and my son DOES go to daycare

Another fan of playdough here.. easy to make your own and DS might like to help you.

DS has recently gotten interested in puzzles...just big four pieces ones. He'll do those forever.

Match box cars...huge. Loves those.

Go for walks...without the stroller. Getting out of the house is key for you and for him.

Look for a Mothers Day Out program near by. They're usually church sponsered and very inexpensive. It will give him a little time to have different experiences and will give you a chance to recharge

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read anyone elses responses but I have a 2 yr old as well. It can be tough! I say first thing you do is get on meetup.com! I've joined a few moms groups and it has helped immensely. Sounds like you need some support as well as ideas for play.

I would first start with stuff that is free. Sometimes just going for a walk in your neighborhood is enough! If he isn't a runner, you could take him without the stroller or carrier. Go to the playground, the park, hiking, the mall if your really bored!

I say go through his toys and see what actually applies to his age. I am in the process of purchasing alot of "new" things for my DD right now, but she is transitioning into things, and its about to get COLD here so we need stuff to entertain and learn from. I don't really believe that buying your child toys equals spoiling. Children learn through play! I am just insanely frugal and look for quality. Look for classic items, that are tried and true toys that children have and will play with for generations. NOT a toy that is just a fad, that is what is wasteful. Simply things like blocks, trucks, legos, stacking cubes, lacing beads, shape sorters, kitchen play, doll play, dress up, etc.

Also, search google for toys you can make!! I made my DD a latch board for 1/2 of what the Melissa and Doug one cost. I also made a cool toy out of part of another toy she hasn't grown into yet.

Also, don't feel like you can't provide everything your child needs in your home. YOU CAN! You don't need to pay for special classes to get him what he needs.

HTH mama.
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014

Last edited by iggyloo; 09-18-2009 at 12:34 PM.
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Lots of great suggestions already, so I will just add that one thing my sister did when she felt her 2-year-old son was watching too much TV is to move it to a room that he didn't have access to (their bedroom). She and her hubby can still watch a show in the evenings after the kids are in bed, but they don't miss it at all b/c it's not right there anymore. They have 1 other TV in the basement they can use for kids movies once in a great while, but their basement isn't a place you'd want to hang out in very often
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

My DD isn't quite 2 yet (22 mo) but most of what we do together doesn't involve toys, really.

-"reading" books - mostly just pointing at the pictures and talking about them
-playing catch (she loves to throw and try to catch different sized balls we have)
-playing "monster" - where I crawl around on my hands and knees and chase her and tickle her (she'd do this for hours if mommy's knees could handle it)
-outside to pick flowers or play with rocks (river rocks along side our house)
-dancing to the radio and making silly faces
-helping mommy do laundry (takes clothes out or helps shove them in and also throws them about while I'm folding )
-tea parties (she has a small Tupperware pitcher/cups set and we fill the pitcher w/ water and fill the cups and drink, over and over till the water is gone - she loves it)
-building things with her mega bloks (and then destroying them, lol)
-playing w/ cars - DS(13) gave her a few of his old matchbox cars recently and she loves to play with them on the wood floors

I've also taken her to the play area in the local mall so she can play with other kids. She LOVES it.

Oh, and the library has an awesome kid section with all kinds of puzzles and activities amongst the books. So we've gone there a couple of times to let her play and explore and "read" with mommy while DS picks out some new books.

She really prefers the books over most anything. We "read" books all day long it seems. She loves it and no matter how often we read them, she still gets excited over them. We definitely need more though, because there's only so many times mommy can read the same ones over and over.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
My DD isn't quite 2 yet (22 mo) but most of what we do together doesn't involve toys, really.

-"reading" books - mostly just pointing at the pictures and talking about them
-playing catch (she loves to throw and try to catch different sized balls we have)
-playing "monster" - where I crawl around on my hands and knees and chase her and tickle her (she'd do this for hours if mommy's knees could handle it)
-outside to pick flowers or play with rocks (river rocks along side our house)
-dancing to the radio and making silly faces
-helping mommy do laundry (takes clothes out or helps shove them in and also throws them about while I'm folding )
-tea parties (she has a small Tupperware pitcher/cups set and we fill the pitcher w/ water and fill the cups and drink, over and over till the water is gone - she loves it)
-building things with her mega bloks (and then destroying them, lol)
-playing w/ cars - DS(13) gave her a few of his old matchbox cars recently and she loves to play with them on the wood floors

I've also taken her to the play area in the local mall so she can play with other kids. She LOVES it.

Oh, and the library has an awesome kid section with all kinds of puzzles and activities amongst the books. So we've gone there a couple of times to let her play and explore and "read" with mommy while DS picks out some new books.

She really prefers the books over most anything. We "read" books all day long it seems. She loves it and no matter how often we read them, she still gets excited over them. We definitely need more though, because there's only so many times mommy can read the same ones over and over.
My daughter is this exactly! We also do a LOT of drawing with washable marker, washable crayons, and colored pencils. A LOT!

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
lissieanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
We LOVE the library. My son is 3 now but we've been going once a week for as long as I can remember with him. Our library also has a kids section that has a few toys, big colorful rugs, a corner full of fun board books - GREAT fun for my littles. They always enjoy themselves and we always come with a bag full of new reads for that week. Also encourages early reading, and smart little kids!
my blog//lissieanne
lissieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #17
Trin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We read a lot of books here. DD would just sit and let me read to her all day long..

Water play is also huge, I fill up cups or containers and DD just sticks her hands and feet in them.. she would do that for hours.. It is kinda messy so put a towel down.

chalk, washable crayons, coloring stuff. Coloring is tons of fun! When I take a shower I bring in crayons and just let her color the outer bathtub. We do have the special bathtub crayons but regular wax crayons wash off just fine.

She loves to help me with household chores, when emptying the dishwasher I take all the dangerous things out and then let her bring me the dishes. She helps me fold laundry and put away things. Usually when I clean the house I ask her to pick up all her toys and put them in her room. She picks up what she can see and then rest I pile together and tell her to get those ones too.. she usually just throws them in a huge pile in her room, but she loves to help.

going outside. pick flowers, look at the sky, check out the tree's, collect rocks, find bugs. go for a walk.

Practice ABC's, 123's and colors. I try to incorporate that into almost everything DD does. I ask her what colors things are, how many of them there are (she can count to 4 but her answer is always 2!)

Sing made up songs about the things you are doing. DD always tries to sing along. Dance ridiculous dances

Finger painting! I found good finger paint recipes online a while ago. I bought some canvas boards from the dollar store and had DD paint some pictures for her room.

I don't know if you want to teach your kid this but DD figured it out on her own so I let her do it.. She stands on the arm of the couch. (its against the wall so she can't fall back, and it isn't very high) then says 1,2,3, jump and jumps onto the couch. She finds great joy in this.
she will also stand on her not very high step stool and jump off it onto the ground. Seriously. its like 3 inches off the ground. silly kid.

Make forts! Forts are always fun.

Last edited by Trin; 09-18-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Trin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! I will use all of these! Well, almost all because DS does not like to color with crayons or markers no matter how hard I try. He does not like to dance-whenever we try to get him to dance to songs or even when I dance in front of him he gets mad and doesn't like it. Not sure why--he's a funny guy when it comes to stuff like that--does not like singing or dancing, at least not at this stage in life. BUT I am still going to try to get him into these things and out of the house more often!
*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* www.jonaselliot.blogspot.com , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #19
Shaunam
Registered Users

I also got in the habit of letting my DS watch too much TV because I felt guilty when I couldn't entertain him or play with him. I've only just realized in the last year that it's ok not to play with my kids all the time! It's actually really good for them to learn to play by themselves. I read to them, snuggle with them, play a board game here and there and sometimes even do the imaginary play thing (this is what I'm worst at!). But the rest of the time, he's on his own and I limit him to usually one 30 minute video a day. My DD is a little more difficult because she can't entertain herself very well because of her physical limitations.

Just keep lots of good toys around (ones that encourage imaginative play and open-ended play, not a bunch of battery operated things that only have a few functions), some age-appropriate craft supplies, books, games, and some toys that encourage physical movement (at that age I think a small little tikes slide into a ball pit would be awesome if you have the room in your house!) and encourage him to play alone. It'll be a little tough at first...he'll want you to play *everything* with him. It helps to suggest an activity when he acts bored and get him started and then let him finish up on his own. Then get done what you need to and take a little time for yourself. It's nice to be able to read with a child playing with playdough quietly on the floor. And it's not bad parenting to indulge yourself some. You are THERE and that is what is important.