Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
grantsmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! Dental work and nursing

i have to have a molar extracted next week, and the doctor said that he often prescribes an antibiotic and a pain killer after the procedure. is this okay w/nursing???? DS is almost 10 months and has never had a bottle, so pumping probaby wouldn't go too well for us. thoughts? thank you!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Dental work and nursing

Shouldn't be a problem. I had 6 teeth extracted under general anasthesia while nursing and believe me, I took the pain meds religiously afterwards! Let the doc know that you're nursing and find out exactly which drugs he'll use (the antibiotics, anasthesia, pain meds afterwards, etc.) and then do your own research to confirm what he tells you. Lots of docs don't know about nursing and meds so they make assumptions that are wrong. Some will tell you anything's ok when it's not...more often they'll tell you that you can't take anything, when in fact, most things are fine. Here are some links that will help when you find out exactly what he wants to use:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/index.html
http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/ (you can search the drug forums)
Also, you can try to find a copy of the book "Medications and Mother's Milk" by Dr. Thomas Hale. He's about the only person in the world who has actually done extensive research on medications and lactation. Drug companies don't want to experiment on lactating women for obvious reasons so they just say "consult a healthcare professional before use" and the docs don't know any better so they just look at the drug company literature and figure that you shouldn't do it.

Good luck!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
Leigh Ann
Registered Users
seller

I had to have my widom teeth removed when DS was only 2 months old, and I was put to sleep. The surgeon wouldn't prescribe me ANY pain meds and made me promise not to nurse for at least 24 hours. DS was already taking some bottles by that time so I said ok. I ended up calling my OBs office and getting my midwife to ok pain meds. The surgeon just didn't know what was ok and what wasn't.
Leigh Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Depends on the antibiotic if you can bf. Are you infected or do you have a heart murmur? If not I would ask why he is prescribing them. Also, motrin 800mg is usual more than enough for pain from an extraction. I used it for pain relief after my c-sections.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i just had 2 wisdom teeth removed on tuesday. i got local anasthetic and then he prescribed penicillin. i had percocets left over from my c-section if i needed anything stronger than tylenol. the info on the penicillin said that its excreted in breastmilk, so i called the dentist, my ob and the pediatrician just to triple check that it was ok while bfing. they all said yes. Well, that night ds (7 weeks old) was a crying mess, very very unlike him. 5 hours of on and off screaming like he was in pain. for the next 3 nights he would have 2-3 hours of on and off screaming. I decided to stop taking the abx and see what happened. Last night he was fine, back to his normal self. he was obviously having a reaction to the abx.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Antibiotics can cause thrush, too, as they take out not only the bad bacteria, but the good bacteria that keeps yeast in check, as well. So just make sure to watch out for that.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
mommypooh
Registered Users

when I am given perscriptions I call my OB and get his opinion and I also always ask the pharamist to double check what is on the list. They have a little book that says what I can and can't take.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote