Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quiverful Mamas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyMama View Post
Hey Mamas!! I was afraid that there wouldn't be anyone interested in this thread, I am so glad I was wrong !

I, too, agree that the "label" has gotten a bad flack, but I couldn't think of any other way to word it...It just seems that if you want more than the American 2.5, then you are labeled Quiverful anyway, you know?

I wish too there was some way we could have a thread on here all the time, so that we could support one another....I have no problems having more children, but my husband is very doubtful that we can "afford" it....He would let me have a houseful if I could just prove to him that we can actually afford it and live within our means...I know this is where God is going to have to intervene and change things...
I have to trust that God will do this, because I am under the headship of my husband and until he is on board, I just have to be patient...which is HARD!! I am addicted to babies!

Sorry this is so long winded, but I am just excited that there are other mamas out here who are wanting to be blessed with as many children as God will give...

SO, I ask this question...those mamas that are leaving it to God, how did you convince your spouse? Or did he convince you? and how do you make it on one salary in this horrible economy??
No convincing of the spouse involved here. Sure we talked about it a lot and finally came to the conclusion that we didn't agree and THEN we both decided to not talk about it anymore and just start praying that whatever God wanted for our family, that he would make both our hearts feel the same way and here we are with #6 on the way and with hopes of more coming (I was the one who wanted more, dh did not feel the same way and this was before #5) so we've been praying and talking about this for 2 years.

ETA: if we have faith enough to trust God with our family size, we must have faith enough that God will provide for that family size. We are on a very moderate income, but our needs are met each and every time.

Advertisement

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
MommyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
Currer Bell
Registered Users
Formerly: ma**ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyScott View Post
No convincing of the spouse involved here. Sure we talked about it a lot and finally came to the conclusion that we didn't agree and THEN we both decided to not talk about it anymore and just start praying that whatever God wanted for our family, that he would make both our hearts feel the same way and here we are with #6 on the way and with hopes of more coming (I was the one who wanted more, dh did not feel the same way and this was before #5) so we've been praying and talking about this for 2 years.

ETA: if we have faith enough to trust God with our family size, we must have faith enough that God will provide for that family size. We are on a very moderate income, but our needs are met each and every time.
We've just started talking about it (well, I've just started talking about it) but I know he is not going to agree at the moment so I'm just hushing for now. I pray about it alot and I'm sure God will lead us to the right decision. I felt a huge conviction to homeschool (even though we don't have kids yet) in the future, and DH was TOTALLY against it. But I kept praying that if it was the right thing for our family that God would soften DH's heart. Now DH is fully on board! I'm hoping the family size thing goes the same way, but if it doesn't I don't want to get in arguments about it.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we always thought we would be...but as you can see in my siggy...God has other plans for us. The best laid plans right? I think quiverfull should include breastfeeding which would hopefully delay children and space them out. But that doesn't work for everyone.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
we always thought we would be...but as you can see in my siggy...God has other plans for us. The best laid plans right? I think quiverfull should include breastfeeding which would hopefully delay children and space them out. But that doesn't work for everyone.

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
Treasures Of Mine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am another who would love to let God decide, but my DH does not. He believes that God gives men/women the ability to decide. But I am praying for God to change his heart, and in the mean time, trying my best to pray that it happens on one of the many oopses
Old 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
Rachael, I haven't done any research on the actual definition, but to me, it's about an attitude, not how many children you have. You are letting God decide the size of your family. Just because he hasn't given you 8 kids (or whatever number), doesn't mean you aren't giving Him the control. No matter how many children you have, God is in control and that's what matters, not the number. (The number matters to you. I'm not trying to be insensitive to your struggle. I just mean, that's the whole point, letting go and giving it to God, which you have done.)

I'm sure many of you would not consider me "quiverfull," but we definitely feel we are leaving our family size up to God. We, unfortunately, have to go about it a different way. We can't get pregnant on our own. We tried for 2 years and then it was confirmed that it wouldn't happen without a miracle. We found our miracle in IVF. We prayed and prayed about it before we did it. We felt lead to do this as long as we respected all life. Before we went forward, we committed to God, to ourselves and to our future children that ALL embryos (babies, IMO) conceived through this process would eventually be transferred to me. We ended up with a lot more frozen babies than we ever expected, but we will still transfer all of them and give them all the opportunity to grow. We feel that God is still in control of the whole process. He is the only one who can give life, even if we put the cells together. He is in control of which embryos and how many will ultimately become part of our family. So, I am now pregnant with my second set of twins and my 4th and 5th children. We haven't lost very many frozen babies in the process. We have 4 more frozen and will transfer those too, 2 at a time. We hope to have 9 children. We know that God is still in control and we will honor Him by giving all of our babies a chance to live.

(We will also never go on any kind of BC and will forever be NTNP. We also hope for a "natural" miracle someday too.)

ETA - Okay, I was curious, so I just looked it up online. Apparently some quiverfull believers are completely against any medical help to get pregnant (but not against adoption) and others are not. So, maybe some would think what we do is fine and others wouldn't. Honestly, it doesn't bother me either way. We are following God's leading for our lives and that's all that matters to us.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 09-21-2009 at 12:24 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #17
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what a beautiful story thanks for sharing

and to your ETA at the end, that's why we've chosen not to label ourselves as a family "quiverful" because the "true" quiverful philosophy is very black and white about fertility treatments and "trying" to get pregnant, when the truth of the matter is in each human being's heart and between themselves and God. There are no hard "laws" in the bible about fertility other than this:

Life is precious

Children are a blessing

We need to follow God's leading in every area of our lives, fertility included, and trust him whatever he tells us to do, whether that's birth control, natural family planning, IVF or doing nothing at all to try or prevent. As long as our methods treat life as precious and not something to be cast away, then there is no sin in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Rachael, I haven't done any research on the actual definition, but to me, it's about an attitude, not how many children you have. You are letting God decide the size of your family. Just because he hasn't given you 8 kids (or whatever number), doesn't mean you aren't giving Him the control. No matter how many children you have, God is in control and that's what matters, not the number. (The number matters to you. I'm not trying to be insensitive to your struggle. I just mean, that's the whole point, letting go and giving it to God, which you have done.)

I'm sure many of you would not consider me "quiverfull," but we definitely feel we are leaving our family size up to God. We, unfortunately, have to go about it a different way. We can't get pregnant on our own. We tried for 2 years and then it was confirmed that it wouldn't happen without a miracle. We found our miracle in IVF. We prayed and prayed about it before we did it. We felt lead to do this as long as we respected all life. Before we went forward, we committed to God, to ourselves and to our future children that ALL embryos (babies, IMO) conceived through this process would eventually be transferred to me. We ended up with a lot more frozen babies than we ever expected, but we will still transfer all of them and give them all the opportunity to grow. We feel that God is still in control of the whole process. He is the only one who can give life, even if we put the cells together. He is in control of which embryos and how many will ultimately become part of our family. So, I am now pregnant with my second set of twins and my 4th and 5th children. We haven't lost very many frozen babies in the process. We have 4 more frozen and will transfer those too, 2 at a time. We hope to have 9 children. We know that God is still in control and we will honor Him by giving all of our babies a chance to live.

(We will also never go on any kind of BC and will forever be NTNP. We also hope for a "natural" miracle someday too.)

ETA - Okay, I was curious, so I just looked it up online. Apparently some quiverfull believers are completely against any medical help to get pregnant (but not against adoption) and others are not. So, maybe some would think what we do is fine and others wouldn't. Honestly, it doesn't bother me either way. We are following God's leading for our lives and that's all that matters to us.

Last edited by MommyScott; 09-21-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyMama View Post
Anymama here who is Quiverful minded? Would like to find others who are Quiverful (or trying) for support...My husband agrees that God should be in control of how many children we have, but he doesn't want to give the control up yet The money is an issue, but I am desperately trying and praying to get the debt down so that we can have more children! Would love to know how you mamas do it in this horrible economy!
Have you ever read "Love in the House"? That is a wonderful book about a large family and how they make it on this economy. Personally I havent felt the bad economy effect our family. Why? Because we've always lived frugally and made do. Use it up wear it out and Buy used and save the difference.

We are not a "quiverful" family. Im not sure how I feel about the term. But we do have a full quiver of 5 (and 2 walking with Jesus) and we plan to trust the Lord with our family size. As a Pastors Family the Husband and I feel its wrong to tell the congregation to trust in the Lord and then decide what *we* will trust him with you know? But this has taken years to mature in our marriage and spiritual walk. At first it was all me. As time went on..with less words and more prayer on my part.. my husband has had a heart change..

The funny thing is that after all this time I think that God may be done with our family with out any prevention on our part. I dont know how I can be at peace with that or even know for sure.. But I'd be so surprized if a number 6 was in our picture at all. And trusting the Lord is trusting that HE knows my families size, weather 5 or 25.

I think that "some" Moms of Many get it in their head that it is a number thing. If you have more than the average number of children then you are doing MORe for God or somthing. I dont know if that is right. I mean seriuosly if having a dozen children was nessecary then wouldnt Jesus have had at least one? But he didnt. Because some verses in the Bible are DEscriptive and some are PERscriptive. And to focus on one to three verses and neglect the other billion is wrong! I guess that is my beef with some QF families. They will say that birth control is wrong but wont feed the poor, or take care of the fatherless and the widow or spread the gospel. So if we (me included) are doing our spiritual duty to have chldren we are to make sure that we are doing our other duties as well. Okay sorry for the soapbox. That wasnt directed at anyone on this forum at all.. Actually more of I know this person IRL and it irks me that she and her friends feel so high and mighty.

Okay so for the conclusion... Be a wise steward of what the Lord has given you in resources, talents, children what have you. SEek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness. And all these things shall be added unto you. And she who is faithful with little will be given much. Trust int he Lord with all of your heart lean not on your own understanding in all of your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. 5 or 25 its all in his hands!
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
StaceyS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are quiverfull and definitely struggle financially but God always sees us through. We made the decision together as husband and wife about 2 years ago. It took us 11 months to TTC this little guy and we are about to meet him. I sometimes get nervous in thinking that now that we have given our fertility to the Lord He may want to bless us before I am ready, but just remain prayerful on it and try to not allow any fear to come into my mind. Fear is definitely not from or of the Lord. That eases my soul a bit.
We love him, because he first loved us.<>< 1 John 4:19
StaceyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #20
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyScott View Post
what a beautiful story thanks for sharing

and to your ETA at the end, that's why we've chosen not to label ourselves as a family "quiverful" because the "true" quiverful philosophy is very black and white about fertility treatments and "trying" to get pregnant, when the truth of the matter is in each human being's heart and between themselves and God. There are no hard "laws" in the bible about fertility other than this:

Life is precious

Children are a blessing

We need to follow God's leading in every area of our lives, fertility included, and trust him whatever he tells us to do, whether that's birth control, natural family planning, IVF or doing nothing at all to try or prevent. As long as our methods treat life as precious and not something to be cast away, then there is no sin in it.

As usual Christina I agree whole heartedly with every word you said.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote