Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

How many kids do you have in a 3 bedroom house?

And what are the sleeping arrangements? We only have 2 but are trying to plan how many more we have to go before needing to move. Our 2nd bedroom is decent size, I think about 10x11 but the 3rd is tiny, only about 8x10. And no basement or extra rooms that could be used as bedrooms.

Advertisement

sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many kids do you have in a 3 bedroom house?

Sorry, no help here, we have a 4 bedroom house w/ 3 kids, so they all have their own rooms. I'm curious though on answers!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if I'll be helpful either...we have 2 boys that are both sharing our only bedroom. We fit our queen sized bed, a twin bed for ds1, and we do have a crib set up for ds2 but he isn't in it yet. I also had a bassinet in the room but I've recently moved it out into the living room. Our room might be 14x16?

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #4
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Soon to be eight.

The first bedroom is decent - it's the girls as they have the most people.
Ana (13) and Abigail (3) share a full size bed. We've offered bunks, they prefer this arrangement. I should add they are VERY close, the closest sib relationship we have.

Elizabeth (7.5) & Rebecca (5.5) share bunk beds. These bunk beds will soon be switched out to single over double so that Elizabeth will share with Sarah.

Sarah currently shares our bed (by choice.) When it comes time for her to change beds, she snuggle in with Lizzie. The newest baby will be here in Dec./Jan. and she'll also share our bed (by choice.)

The next bedroom is moderate sized and the boys have bunk beds. They are 10 and 4.

And the teeny tiniest bedroom is ours. We don't need much space.

Do we like it? Well, yes and no. We lived in a 4 bedroom ranch before this with room for another bedroom in the finished basement. We had more space, but it was VERY poorly planned as in the bedrooms were big, but the kitchen and dining room were small. This is the opposite of our life.... We spend a lot of time LIVING together and very little time needing bedroom space. When we moved to the country (we rent) I was a little pessimistic this could work, but with a BIG eat in kitchen, it's been great. We spend almost all of our time in the kitchen/dining room.

We're preparing to move soon... DH has been transferred and we moved here so he wouldn't have a huge commute and now we're back to a huge commute. We're waiting 'til the Feb. / March time frame to start looking for a house and having lived here and had this experience under our belts, I wouldn't mind having a 3 bedroom again. DH would love to find a 5-6 bedroom. Our oldest would not choose to go back to having her own room (odd, I know, as she had in the old house) she says she would continue to share with Abigail anyway. Lizzie and Rebecca wouldn't want their own room - they prefer to be together and want Sarah to join them, but not yet, says their Mama. **I** wouldn't choose to have a nursery. We ditched the crib a few years ago and I don't miss it a bit. Babies smell good and they're snuggly. Ideally, I'd love to live in a 4bdrm. It would allow the boys to still share a room, Ana & Abigail to have a room, and Rebecca, Elizabeth, & Sarah to share a room. Perfect.

I CAN say I wouldn't choose a house based on bedrooms.... Uh, no. I won't go back to an itsy bitsy kitchen where we spend most of our time just so we could have 4 or 5 bedrooms. Not worth it. I DO wish we had a bigger closet for the girls because we have five little girls clothing hung up there and I finally gave up and hung Sarah's in with the boys. With limited area for dressers we hang almost everything up.... I don't like the cramped look and would rather have fewer dressers and a little more open space for peace of mind.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #5
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 3 kids and 3 bedrooms. my son has his own room and the girls share a room. they are both in cribs still so we just call it the nursery. it's right beside my bedroom but it's big enough to accomodate the two cribs and two dressers. i have the dressers pushed together to i can use them for changing tables and diaper storage.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a 5 bedroom house...but only use 3! Our four kids share by choice. We have their two rooms set up as a garden one for the two girls and a John Deere one for the two boys....but OFTEN they all four sleep in one room snuggling in the girls bed and trundle! They are close in age....four born in just over 5 years...
Old 09-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have a four bedroom and are about to have #6. we have one room that is pretty small and our two year old has that and we are keeping the newest additions clothes and diapers in there. #6 will sleep with us for the first year or so. then the next two youngest share the next size up room, and the two oldest share the biggest room (other than the master). they boys use bunk beds. it works out well, but i know the oldest two would love to have their own rooms. once the newest baby gets older, we will either move or really squeeze them into the little room. with a 3 bedroom you could easily have four kids i say. we had some neighbors that had a 4 bedroom and it was two families sharing. i dont know how they did it! they converted the dining room (which was closed off) and had 4 adults and 6 or so kids!

Last edited by faiths13; 09-21-2009 at 05:51 PM.
faiths13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #8
lotsuvlittles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 6 kiddos and 3 bedrooms...
"Master Bedroom" 10x16
DH and I + bassinet for foster babies when needed

"Boys' Room" 10x12
10yo & 8yo twin bunks
6yo top bed of toddler bunks
2yo crib

"Girl Room" 9x9
12yo dd twin bed
3yo toddler bed

Because our 2yo is still a foster kiddo (not for much longer, yay!) there can only be 4 kids in his bedroom and he can not be in with my dd because she is over 5.
After we finalize the adoption our 3yo will move back to his bed that is the bottom toddler bunk in the Boys' Room.
Eventually the boys will get our room or hopefully we will be able to add onto the house in about 5yrs to add a 4th bedroom, second shower, and mud/utility room.
I totally agree with the mama that large living space is soooo much more important than large bedrooms! Our house is actually 2300+sqft and we have 3 acres of land so we have plenty of room and all we do upstairs in the bedrooms is sleep!

Back online and getting caught up. Thanks for your patience.
lotsuvlittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow, it is encouraging to hear that you can fit that many kids in. Maybe I need to measure our rooms again though. I can't imagine that even a single bed and a toddler bed would fit in the small one and I think a single bed and a double bed (bunk) would touch each other with no walking room in the bigger room!
Maybe part of our problem is the living space is not set up well either. Very small kitchen and no dining room. Big living room but only half of it is the living room and the other half has 2 desks and a card table (for dh's boardgames). I just feel like we are overflowing this house, but we shouldn't be with only 4 of us in 1500'! Can't quite figure out how to get it arranged to better use though.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have 4 now, but when we had a 3 bedroom, we had 3 kids. The boys shared the bigger of the 2 rooms and they had bunk beds. We could've easily fit a crib or another bed in there if needed, it was a pretty big room. Maybe 15x13ish.
My dd, being the only girl at the time, had her own room, and it was much smaller. Maybe 10x10 or 10x12.

Our master was HUGE, it was 18x20!

Now we have 4 kids and 4 bedrooms. Our master is again HUGE so the crib will move in there until she is bigger. I dont have the measurements but I'm willing to bet that our room is 24x20 if not bigger.
The boys still share and have bunk beds, my older dd has her own room, and Emmaleigh will have her own room too, once she's bigger.