Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
tranmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you use prefolds on your toddler...

do you fasten (pin or snappi) or trifold and lay-in the cover?

I'm trying to decide on what length of prefolds to get from Little Lions. After consulting with LL, I found that if I want to do the lay-in method, the Capris will work great for her. However, if I want to snappi them, I'll need the toddler size, and either have them trimmed or fold down the excess. It was suggested that if I go with the 4x6x4 (as opposed to the thicker 4x8x4 toddler prefolds) they won't be bulky if I have to fold them down. However, I'm afraid that the 4x6x4 won't be absorbent enough.

DD just turned 2 years old, her waist is 19", she is 35.25" tall, and her weight is almost 28 lbs. She's in the 60% for weight and 65% for height. Last time I tried using prefolds, I used toddler snappis, and they always came undone or shifted all "wonky". They just didn't fit her right. I figured that folding them inside a cover (I have 2 thirsties duos on the way) would remedy that situation, but then I began to wonder if they'd shift around too much with how active she is.

What do you guys do? Are you prefolds pinned, snappied, or folded into a cover? Do you have them trimmed or do you fold down the excess?

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
mama22boys
Registered Users

Re: If you use prefolds on your toddler...

I just got some red edge GMDs to trifold in some Thirsties Duos. I'm new to prefolds so I did a lot of research trying to decide which size to buy. I thought GMD's looked like they had a little more width than the capri's so that's why I decided to go with those. And GMD reds seem to go like hotcakes on FSOT so I figured that I would get the best/quickest resale with them whenever I decide to sell them. I would ehck out the GMD site--they have lots of good info. with pictures of prefolds trifolded in different sized covers. It was really helpful to me. My DS is 21 mo., about 26 lbs. so I'm goign to be using the covers on the second snap. I think once he moves up to the largest setting on the covers, I will probably need to size up to the GMD brown edge but I figured I'd cross that bridge when I come to it! I think another brand worth check out is Diaper Rite Prefolds. Good luck and I hope I helped a little!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is about 34" tall and about 27 pounds. I have LL premiums. I used to trifold but I didnt like the bulk where I folded it. I have been using a toddler snappi. It does tend to snag a little but I put a Thirsties DUO over it. it works fine. I just discovered pinning and I am starting to like that better. It keeps the diaper on tighter. Yeasterday DD was in just a prefold with a flat doubler pinned for about an hour and a half.
ETA~ I was considering getting some toddler sized pfs but so far the prem have been fine. I really dont need the extra length since I already have to fold down the prem a little. If I flare out the front too, then I can pin or snappi it just fine

Last edited by corinne76; 09-21-2009 at 12:41 PM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I snappi a prefold on DS. He is 19mo, 28lbs and about 35" tall. His poo is still mushy, so when I try to trifold, it ends up getting on the cover. I use a premium UBIPF or a folded-down toddler pf w/ a BSWW, Thristie or Diaperwraps cover over it.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use prefolds by doing the trifold, but we do use the toddler size. We will fold down the extra most of the time, but if she is just running around the house and its not winter, I sometimes leave the ends hanging out and have her go with no shirt. *bad mother alert*

I find the trifold best because she will freak out and grab at pins or the snappi (even if she has clothes on top). I havea drama queen though.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I don't like trifolding into a cover. I don't know why, I just don't.

I use either a snappi or pins, depending on my mood.

DD is 30 lbs. and 38" tall. I also don't like folding over excess, so my favorite prefolds are the light browns of last year from LL seconds section.

Picture of a pinned light brown edge prefold on DD in early June of this year. She's making a funny face, but you get the idea. She's right around 28 lbs./37" in the picture. The diaper still fits her exactly the same.

Same diaper, around the same time... just using a snappi (I believe it's a toddler snappi, but I do use infants sometimes, too).

Last edited by MW69842; 09-21-2009 at 01:43 PM.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
4xMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was wondering the same thing. I just ordered 3dz. LL premium pf's and was trying to figure out the same thing as to tri-fold or snappi. My DD is almost 16mos. old and weighs 26lbs or so.

Great thread.

ISO: MAMA CLOTH, SMALL WETBAG FOR MAMA CLOTH
4xMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have used regular sized prefolds. I'm not sure what age of toddler your looking for, but I have a long skinny kid and LL regulars work great
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

both but i really like to trifold i have some rainbows , size of capris/reds on the way and i snappi the browns we have !
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Oakleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: t***om
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been posting these pics a lot lately
My ds is 12 months old, 27 lbs, 32 inches tall.
LL Premium, toddler snappi, modified jelly roll fold

GMD red edge, toddler snappi, modified jelly roll fold (similar in size to a LL capri)

A comparison of a GMD red, LL light brown edge second from last year, and LL premium trifolded into a medium Thirsties cover

I pretty much just trifold after ds has pooped for the day and I really like the shorter prefolds for that, but I find that the premiums are still pretty trim when snappi'ed with the rise folded down.

Last edited by Oakleaf; 09-21-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: grammar, added more
Oakleaf is offline   Reply With Quote