Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #11
laneylue+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: bfing moms, do you ever get tired of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtiger View Post
thanks mandy...it's good to hear from the "other side" too -- though it's good to hear everyone.
i think maybe I'm a not so touchy feely person too. Although there are times i LOOOOOVE it, especially while she's feeding and she looks up at me with those big eyes, and gives me a little smile .... oh I really melt then!

But my babe also fusses at the breast which reduces the pleasure greatly, she'll cry, come off the nipple (I still use a nipple shield and think I'll be stuck with it until she weans) and then I'll have to stick it back in for her, and sometimes she'll even arch her back so that I have to bounce her on the exercise ball while feeding her. This is mostly in the evenings.

I'm gonna talk to my lactation consultant tomorrow (she's like my friend now haha!) but I love hearing other mom's stories -- whether you love it, hate it, or are in between.

DS does the same thing because of gas and colic. He also had a poor latch for a long time resulting in cracked bleeding nipples and oh the pain!! I now have a chunk of flesh permanently missing from one nipple- it ain't pretty. Then we got mastitis. When that healed we got thrush. It's just been one bad experience after the other. I was really looking forward to have a beautiful breastfeeding relationship this time but it's been (and still is) a rough road.

We are seeing a new pediatrician next week. Maybe I can get more answers as to how to make him feel better.

So just know you aren't alone.

Advertisement

laneylue+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #12
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

OF COURSE!!!

let me say that I love nursing. Really I do. but through the umpteen rounds of thrush and the feeding on the hour for 45 min 24/7 it IS tempting to quit at times.

and still, there are days where I wish I could just stick a bottle in her mouth and walk out the door or let it be someone else's problem .... but honestly, I love sitting in a quiet corner just teh 2 of us and nursing Most of the time.

take heart, she's at a difficult age- its just a stage and the nursing sessions will quickly get shorter and not Quite as frequent.

btw, feeding cereal didnt make a lick of difference in dd's eating frequency/patterns etc. they're just for practice not actual nutrition so the only they do is make for nasty diapers. plus then you need to have solids available to feed and a way of warming them and they're messy... trust me. hang on to ebf as long as you possibly can!!
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
heamae
Registered Users
seller

I get that way a lo, espically with two on me ALL day long. I have tried to vent to dh about it but he just tells me to give them a bottle then but he doesnt get it. Either way I still have to feed them right? BF just takes a lot out of a women!!! Hang in there!!! And starting solids is not as much fun as you may think!! I am putting it off with dd2 for as long as I can!!!!
Joseph Cooper 5-3-09
Help me raise money for Leukemia and Lymphoma.
http://pages.teamintraining.org/mi/wdw10/hduffs
heamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely. I have a 9 month old who, on most days, nurses for 2-3 hours straight sometimes and then wants to nurse again 15 minutes later. And DH wonders why the house is always messy. It couldn't be my fault, because I never get off the couch to make a mess!!

But then we we lay down for bed at night, he has this thing where he has to touch my face while he's nursing to sleep. It's the sweetest thing in the entire world. (Even when his fingers end up going up my nose. lol)
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

I have my days too.. so dont feel bad.. I didnt BF dd.. but I am with ds.. and I am the ONLY person in my family on either my side or DH side to have BF besides his grandmother.. So i have to turn to the internet lol for support and advice.. that is knowledgeable.. ya know?

Gage nurses about every 3 hours.. isnt big on naps.. so with a 5 year old not to mention I watch 5 year old twins and a 1 4m old though the day.. I have some day when I just want to be locked in my room once DH comes home and he's like.. WTH? you have been hanging out all day lol.. we dont fight or anything but he just doesnt get how " demanding" it is having someone " on " you all day..
Old 01-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe she's teething. How long has it been going on like this?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Been there!

I didn't enjoy nursing at all. I am hoping if we have another baby that it would be different. DS was a very active nurser and it was pyshically exhausting for me and he wanted to eat all the time. There was no nice, sweet bonding moments for us. He was grabbing, pulling, kicking, butt on my shoulder...I hated it, but I did it (until he was 9mo and I quit due to chronic mastitis). He only recently started snuggling at all and he's over two!!
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #18
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I definately know how you feel. Once DD hit about 10 weeks, she was so aware of her surroundings and her little voice that no longer could she just wait until it was convenient to nurse. She has always been a frquent eater (about every hour) but in my case it's because I have low supply and she isn't getting more than perhaps 2 oz. at each feeding...probably less really.

There were some days when the hour went by so fast I felt like I didnt even have a spare moment to pee! I would sometimes just sigh loudly and tell my husband "I cant wait to get her eating foods so I do this (nursing) less". But, as it turns out, even now that she is on solids she STILL wants to nurse all the time (lol). It's just her way. And I've found a peace with it.

I think part of it is surrendering to your child. Learning that their wants and needs cant (and won't) correspond with your own 90% of the time. While the books say they should eat every 2-4 hours, generalized for babies is just as unfair as telling adults they should only eat every 4-6 hours. Everyone is different.

It definately gets "old" sometimes...especially on days when there are already a billion other things going on that have you preoccupied. My only advice is to just try to hang in there, and know that even these tough things will pass in time.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #19
weddell
Registered Users
seller

I definitely get tired of bfing sometimes. DD is 16 months and bf as much as ever. I want her to continue getting breastmilk for a while, but some days it is just so draining. When she teethes she wants to nurse all day and is very vocal about it. There are times when I have had enough for a while and don't let her nurse for a little while. I wouldn't do that with a younger baby, but as a toddler, she can wait a little longer. I've also started to not nurse at night. She can nurse after 5:00AM because it gets her to fall back asleep for a while, but during the night it just gets to be too demanding on me. I still want to bf and for the most part I love it, but I would also love to cut back some.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #20
dreamtiger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loni1090 View Post
Maybe she's teething. How long has it been going on like this?
well since she's been breastfeeding so since about 2-3 months old! even with the bottle, she was a little piggy, always wanting more...

I do think she is teething lately though because now she'll feed for LOOOOONG periods and like every hour instead of 1.5-2 hours.

It's okay though, hearing other moms go through it empowers me -- i can do this! she's only 5 months old, I'm going to let her have as much booby as she wants (for now...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom View Post
She has always been a frquent eater (about every hour) but in my case it's because I have low supply and she isn't getting more than perhaps 2 oz. at each feeding...probably less really.
I think this might be my problem too, last time we checked, she took in 1.5 oz. in a 45 minute session (but this was 2 months ago)....

wife to DH Chris and mom to beautiful Esther 8/12/06

Last edited by dreamtiger; 01-13-2007 at 02:39 PM.
dreamtiger is offline   Reply With Quote