Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

birth plans

hello december mamas,

i have a few questions on writing and discussing my birth plan (or the one in my head)

this is my first baby...

do most people write up a birth plan? do most doctors agree to follow it? will they look at me like i am crazy?

i guess the things i am most concerned with would be delaying the routine procedures for bonding and refusing the Hep B vaccine.

i want everything written up so that my wishes are known.

what is everyones experience with birth plans and any advice on how to write one?

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
petunia_2007
Registered Users
seller

Re: birth plans

This was my birth plan for my first and now my second. More or less the same as the first time around with slight variations. It all fits on one page. Some people include things like wear my contacts if I don't need a c-s and you'll obviously want to put in the hep b (if you know they routinely do that) or maybe the vit K shot if you want too. Feel free to copy and use any part of this, if you have any desire to. Hope it helps.

Birth Plan for Rachel
Doctor:

These are my wishes during labor and immediately afterwards:
• To have natural childbirth, free of medical interventions
• To stay hydrated by drinking clear fluids instead of having an IV
• To have a heparin lock
• To walk around and move as I choose
• As long as my baby and I are doing fine, I’d like to have intermittent fetal monitoring
• As long as my baby and I are doing fine, I’d like to push instinctively
• Please don’t offer me pain medication. I’ll request it if I need it.
• To risk a tear rather than have an episiotomy
• For my baby to be placed directly on my chest
• To hold my baby right away, putting off any procedures that aren’t urgent
• To wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before it is clamped and cut
• For my husband to cut the umbilical cord

These are my wishes postpartum:
• To delay newborn procedures for as long as possible. If a shift change is happening, to wait until after the change for my baby to be taken to the nursery with my husband
• I will be breastfeeding exclusively and will begin when my baby is ready
• Please do not offer formula, glucose or a pacifier to my baby. If my baby appears hungry please bring her to my immediately.
• To room with my baby 24-hours

These are the people I may wish to have in the delivery room with me:
• S – husband
• – daughters
• My doula
• – mother
petunia_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

oh thanks so much petunia!!!

that is great and does have a few more things i had on my list like the waiting on cutting the cord and putting the baby directly on me!

thanks!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also wanted to mention that you should show your doctor the birth plan before you go to the hospital, and make sure he/she goes over it all with you--don't let them just take a copy "for your file". That way they know your wishes ahead of time and can tell you if something on there is incompatible with hospital policy. Also, for the birth plan you take to the hospital, keep it short and simple!! The staff appreciate this much more and are way more likely to read it if its short and easy to read (I'm talking one page, bullet points, bold writing). You can make a detailed plan to go over with your doctor, but limit the one you take to the hospital to just a few points that are most important to you, like maybe 3 things for during the labor and 3 for postpartum.

This is how I advise my clients to do it, and IME the hospital staff have read and respected them a lot more often when they're short and easy to read.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was lucky with DS. My doctor was very open to doing exactly what I wanted and I had an awesome birth. I will be doing a birth plan this time too as I'm just not sure what will be respected. Glad petunia typed it all out!!
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
bryandcam+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After my first tramatic birth with my oldest I have always walked in with a birth plan. Lol I wrote up a four page one before my second ds. They usually are pretty good about following it. If you type in birth plans into google or yahoo there usually is some pretty good references to go by.
bryandcam+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
cooldrinkofwater
Registered Users
seller

This is my 3rd, and we have had a birth plan for all three kiddos. I think it is important to get it down on paper, to give it to my doctor, to take it to the nurses's station at the hospital once I have done the pre-registration. Different doctors react in different ways, and it is good to know ahead of time how yours feels about this. It's also a good thing to get your wishes out there when you are not laboring. It's a LOT harder to think clearly when you are doubled over in pain with childbirth. I LOVED my natural labors, but would never have been able to think of what I wanted if I waited til the contractions were coming hard and fast to tell anyone.

Also, I would suggest that you talk to other mamas who have gone natural, find out their experiences. Often their experience is helpful for making your decisions. I would also try to find someone who does an actual natural class. (Some of the "natural" classes are just about how to have an epidural.) You could also talk to a doula or midwife just to get ideas and to find out the best way to actually get things that you really want.

Good luck!! You can do it! What a great experience it makes when you do get to follow all the things you wanted on your birth plan.

The most important things I put on mine were: 1)Please do not confine me to the bed. (I do much better if I can walk.) 2) No internal monitoring unless needed. 3) Hep lock rather than normal IV. (Can't walk with a normal IV, and they won't agree to nothing, so if there is a hep lock, they are usually satisfied.) 4) Please don't take the baby until I have had a chance to nurse. 5) I don't allow them to give any sugar-water or pacifiers, so the baby will learn to nurse. 6) I don't allow any shots during the hospital stay. I do get them, but I wait until 6 months old to give any.

Loving life! as a SAHM to three happy, happy kids --DS 6 and DD 4 years old and a DD who arrived Christmas day 2009 I talk about gardening, homeschooling, and crafts on my blog http://craftycristy.blogspot.com/
cooldrinkofwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

At the hospital where I delivered they had a form that you filled out that was your "birth plan" so that the nurses new what you wanted as well as your doctor. My midwife had a copy and we talked about it. I basically said "all natural no drugs" and that was it.

I hope your plan works for you. Mine didn't. DS wouldn't come out and 30hrs into labor we had to do an emergency csection because his heart rate dropped and I got a fever (which can lead to infection), and so therefore I had to have the epidural and his birth was not natural. Now DS2 is on the way 15mo later and he has to be a csection also because a VBAC (as close as they are in age) would not be safe.

Good luck to you mama!!! And congratulations on the 1st baby! It the best experience in the world.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
sharon_k
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, Petunia's is great I tell my students when I teach (I teach Bradley) to bring it to their ob/midwife, try to keep it all on one page (kind of like a resume) and just talk to your care provider about the things that are important to you well ahead of time, so there's no surprises at the birth on either end. I would of course bring a copy to the hospital as well, b/c all the stuff they "do" to the baby that can of course wait, is not anything your care provider does, it's done of course by hospital staff. You may have to gently remind them that you don't want the baby to have a bath, or be taken to the nursery, or whatever you decide, b/c they are probably used to a routine. I think though once they see that you know your baby is yours and not "hospital property" they are agreeable
Oh, and you can get them to agree to no IV instead of a heparin lock if you really don't want that. just think about it- if they can get an IV into some person having a drug withdrawal that comes into the ER, well then surely they can get a line quickly into you in the unlikely event that it's needed. You're just a laboring woman!

Last edited by sharon_k; 10-03-2009 at 12:27 PM.
sharon_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
XtraOrdinary
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ya'll might laugh at me, but this is my 4th child and the mid-wife asked me to write down my birth plan and I looked at her like she was crazy b/c I had never even HEARD of a birth plan!!! LOL!!!

She told me and I still have to do one. I am going to a birthing center so pretty much whats standard procedure with them is what I want anyways. Thanks for this thread!
XtraOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote